Why can I not use an apostrophe in my display name?

Hello! I have been trying everything I can think of the add an apostrophe to my display name so that it is "Glorf's Tresses" instead of "Glorfs Tresses". However, I always get the error message "You are not allowed to use that display name on this site."

I did not think much of it, but I have seen other display names with apostrophes so I am wondering if it is possible to add it some way. Is this just the way it is or am I missing something simple to add the apostrophe?

3 hours ago, Glorfs Tresses said:

Hello! I have been trying everything I can think of the add an apostrophe to my display name so that it is "Glorf's Tresses" instead of "Glorfs Tresses". However, I always get the error message "You are not allowed to use that display name on this site."

I did not think much of it, but I have seen other display names with apostrophes so I am wondering if it is possible to add it some way. Is this just the way it is or am I missing something simple to add the apostrophe?

The Website was upgraded recently and the base service upon which we function has turned off special characters in names because it is a security risk.

Spoiler

There are more that one vulnerability created with special charachters, but the linked SL injection is the most common. CompTIA Sec +:

SQL injection (SQLi) attacks are used to gain unauthorized access to a backend database and related assets. SQLi attacks might enable an attacker to bypass authentication, reveal confidential data from database tables, change existing data, add new records into the database, destroy entire tables or databases, and even gain command line–like access through certain database capabilities (such as command shell stored procedures).

An attacker can test to see whether a site is vulnerable to SQLi by submitting a single metacharacter, such as an apostrophe.

Legacy names retain their previous spellings (but will be unable to return to that spelling if changed).

Hope that helps

Edited by Treamayne
SPAG