Spooks pewter hemalurgic spike?

strmblsd

37 minutes ago, strmblsd said:

It shouldn't have worked when the dude got stabbed was there any intent to make a spike? You need intent to make one. So it shouldn't have worked right?

Under normal circumstances circumstances, yes. However Ruin meant to corrupt Spook and turn him into an Inquisitor - even the cloth covered glasses started to resemble an Inquisitors' eye spikes. Ruin was the one who provided the Intent, the placement of the donor getting stabbed, and the precise and valid placement in Spook's body to grant him the power. Ruin proceeded to use the foothold forcibly placed in Spook's soul to try to further subvert him and destroy Urteau by appearing as Kelsier. Ruin orchestrated it all.

Edited by Duxredux

7 hours ago, strmblsd said:

It shouldn't have worked when the dude got stabbed was there any intent to make a spike? You need intent to make one. So it shouldn't have worked right?

7 hours ago, Duxredux said:

Under normal circumstances circumstances, yes. However Ruin meant to corrupt Spook and turn him into an Inquisitor - even the cloth covered glasses started to resemble an Inquisitors' eye spikes. Ruin was the one who provided the Intent, the placement of the donor getting stabbed, and the precise and valid placement in Spook's body to grant him the power. Ruin proceeded to use the foothold forcibly placed in Spook's soul to try to further subvert him and destroy Urteau by appearing as Kelsier. Ruin orchestrated it all.

@Duxredux already covered it, I just wanted to post the WoBs (edited to the relvant bit for length) from which the information comes:

Spoiler

Questioner

Allomancy requires, you need to be either a Misting or a Mistborn to be able to do that. But Hemalurgy you just need to stab someone through the heart. So what would stop someone on Roshar from using Hemalurgy, because it's not Innate? Do you have to be in proximity to Ruin?

Brandon Sanderson

Intent is a big part of a lot of the magics, including Hemalurgy, meaning that you need to know what you're doing. Or somebody needs to-- There needs to be Intent involved in what's happening to you.

Questioner

So like with Spook when he got spiked, where was the Intent?

Brandon Sanderson

The person who was driving that spike was being influenced by Ruin, and the Intent was there.

Holiday signing (Dec. 12, 2015)

Questioner

Does Hemalurgy require intent to steal the stuff? Or could somebody in theory just stab through in the exact-- I understand the chances are extremely slim, it's like accupuncture ...happen by accident?

Brandon Sanderson

Here's the thing, you've seen it happen without the intent of the person holding the spike.

Questioner

But I think it's commonly accepted that Ruin was sort of manipulating some-- I'm specifically taking the Spook example off the table, I'm just saying, someone by accident stab - whoops! stab - whoops! and have a power?

Brandon Sanderson

Again, Ruin was involved in that. Every spike-- spiking that you saw had Ruin's intent behind it. I'm not going to answer your question, RAFO. 

JordanCon 2016 (April 23, 2016)