Laser Cut Cosmere Tile

1 hour ago, RoyalBeeMage said:

that looks cool. how did you get the pigment to work?

It's pretty easy to push it around with a plastic paint scraper and the surface under the outer layer is rough and holds the pigment well.
I just pour a little over the engraved area and smear it around and scraped it off. Running the scraper over the top will leave a nice even layer.
Then I dabbed at it a bit with a microfiber cloth to get the tough spots in the center. 

4 minutes ago, MidThunder said:

It's pretty easy to push it around with a plastic paint scraper and the surface under the outer layer is rough and holds the pigment well.
I just pour a little over the engraved area and smear it around and scraped it off. Running the scraper over the top will leave a nice even layer.
Then I dabbed at it a bit with a microfiber cloth to get the tough spots in the center. 

oh ok. i dont think my libary has a laser cutter or i would have tried something simuler. can laser cutters also do book ends?

8 hours ago, RoyalBeeMage said:

oh ok. i dont think my libary has a laser cutter or i would have tried something simuler. can laser cutters also do book ends?

I haven't tried it, but there are files for that on Etsy: 

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1590572483/3d-book-end-bundle-lasercut-bookend?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=laser+book+end&ref=sr_gallery-1-2&pro=1&dd=1&search_preloaded_img=1&organic_search_click=1

8 hours ago, RoyalBeeMage said:

They can do pretty much anything within a given range of materials and thicknesses.  For bookends they could engrave a heavy block of something (maybe tile like this) or make cutouts from various kinds of plastic to assemble into something more complex. The more powerful ones can cut sheetmetal but that's most likely too industrial for any public Library Ive seen.

13 hours ago, RoyalBeeMage said:

I'm actually very excited about this idea. I'm going to make ones with a slot where I can slide a tile in and out. then I can have custom bookends that I can switch out whenever I want.

5 hours ago, MidThunder said:

I'm actually very excited about this idea. I'm going to make ones with a slot where I can slide a tile in and out. then I can have custom bookends that I can switch out whenever I want.

oh that sounds cool

• 3 weeks later...