I am creating a DnD campaign for some friends based on the Cosmere. It is set on an original world, but I would like to include some appearances by several worldhoppers and worldhopping groups, as the campaign revolves around the planet being a recent discovery in the Cosmere. As such, many groups and people are trying to learn what they can about the planet, both for scholarly and for self serving reasons. 

While finding worldhoppers isn't a problem, I would appreciate some help in deciding why these groups are here. Obviously the Ghostbloods are an easy pick, and Hoid will be making an appearance. Any help or ideas would be appreciated. 

I am caught up on the Mistborn Eras, Stormlight 4 (and Dawnshard), Elantris (but not emperors soul), and Warbringer. Please avoid putting spoilers for anything I haven't read yet. Thanks.

46 minutes ago, ToasterTime said:

I am creating a DnD campaign for some friends based on the Cosmere. It is set on an original world, but I would like to include some appearances by several worldhoppers and worldhopping groups, as the campaign revolves around the planet being a recent discovery in the Cosmere. As such, many groups and people are trying to learn what they can about the planet, both for scholarly and for self serving reasons. 

While finding worldhoppers isn't a problem, I would appreciate some help in deciding why these groups are here. Obviously the Ghostbloods are an easy pick, and Hoid will be making an appearance. Any help or ideas would be appreciated. 

I am caught up on the Mistborn Eras, Stormlight 4 (and Dawnshard), Elantris (but not emperors soul), and Warbringer. Please avoid putting spoilers for anything I haven't read yet. Thanks.

Sounds neat!

Does the planet have a unique magic system? If so, it's possible that Worldhoppers come to the planet in an attempt to harness it.

If we're sticking with things we've seen in the Cosmere already, you have lots of choices. Refugees (as from Ashyn), conquerors (as from Autonomy), scholars (like Khriss), explorers (like from Nalthis), people with specific personal goals (like Vivenna), meddlers with various unclear goals (like Hoid), and zealots under someone's direction for some specific task (like Ishar's Tukari) are all reasonable motivations for worldhopping (or worldhopping-adjacent) groups that have been used to good effect in Cosmere books you've read.

If your planet has just recently been discovered in the Cosmere setting then an intriguing (to me) possibility would be people looking to escape the influence of Shards (specific ones, or possibly any). You could also work with an idea like the planet having vestiges of previous Shardic interference but having been abandoned by such beings for some reason-- lots of potential to work in unique magics or information about the Cosmere and Investiture that would otherwise be impossible to get.

Edited by Returned

I would absolutely have to say that you would have to make it so that the planet has had some sort of shardic influence or multiple shards before, because most dnd classes straight up don't work in dnd unless you hit specific ideas well. I would include the Ire which are worldhoppers from Elantris and make it that wizards are just Elantrians because that is one of the few thematic and fitting magics. Make it that spell slots are just them restoring the connection and that as they get higher in levelsthe more control and more proficient at increasing their connection. Otherwise sorry but dnd as a system doesn't work, like at all with the Cosmere power set unless you homebrew like crazy. Even then the system doesn't do what you want from a gameplay manner trust me. 

Best bet is make your own or look online because 5e is built for one thing and making it do something its not meant to is not fun. 

1 hour ago, One who Breaths and Reads said:

I would include the Ire which are worldhoppers from Elantris and make it that wizards are just Elantrians because that is one of the few thematic and fitting magics. Make it that spell slots are just them restoring the connection and that as they get higher in levelsthe more control and more proficient at increasing their connection.

That's a really cool idea, I love it!

When I get around to adding in Cosmere-wide shenanigans to my D&D Mistborn homebrew I hope to add something like this in for the Elantrians, if you don't mind.

On 2/28/2024 at 8:21 PM, ToasterTime said:

I think you've answered your own question here. Worldhoppers are interested in this world either to further their own goals, or just to learn about it. So what would everyone want on this world? I don't know about the specifics of your world, so I can only speak in general terms, but I think I can make some good guesses:

Hoid

Well, we know that Hoid has a sixth sense for showing up at important events, so he could be on this world here just because something important is about to happen. Or he could just be trying to pilfer the local magic system, he is wont to do.

Ghostbloods

They'd be here to answer two questions. What about this world presents a threat to Scadrial? Alternately, what about this world could be used to aid Scadrial?

17th Shard

The 17th Shard is non-interventionist, so they'll probably at least try to stay out of focus. But if what we've seen on Roshar is any indication, they will stick out like a sore thumb. From what we know of them, I'd say they're here just to learn about the world.

Silverlight

Khriss and Nazh are absolutely here to write an essay on the world's magic system. Beyond that, Silverlight's an entire city, so you could have multiple factions come from here. Maybe someone's here to set up a trading post. Maybe a university wants to sponsor an expedition. Maybe a dragon thought the city was getting a little too crowded and decided to move shop. Lots of reasons.

Shards

Harmony and Autonomy strike me as likely candidates to send agents to this world. Harmony's agents could simply be scouting out the planet, trying to figure out what exactly it has. Autonomy could be trying to create an avatar on this planet, to bring it under her fold.

Question: you say you're caught up on the Mistborn eras, but does that include Mistborn: Secret History? I'll spoiler this last faction, just in case:

Spoiler

Ire

The Ire are a group of Elantrians who live off-world and from what we've seen, they're a nasty piece of work. They tried to become the new vessel of Preservation, and I don't think it was for benevolent reasons. 

I don't know what they'd be doing on this planet, but I can't imagine it would be a good thing.

Edited by Biceratops