Surgebinding

LevenThumps

I'll have to show off my Stormsurfing abilities sometime. Let me know when the next highstorm is. :P

One came through here last night. My TSA shirt was in the wash, so i didn't have a chance to see if it collects Light. :P

Interestingly, Windrunner, it was finishing tWoK and being confused by the use of the term Adonalsium, seemingly randomly, that prompted me to look up 'brandon sanderson adonalsium' on a famous search engine, and The Coppermind came up. When I saw it was part of a bigger conspiracy, and a bigger site (17th Shard), with its own forums, and that it was ALL linked back to three of my favorite books I read back in 2010, tFE, tWoA, tHoA, I HAD to sign up and learn more.

I think we are going to have to get more Cosmere information in the Stormlight books. Jasnah actually uses the word "Cosmere" at one point, and they know about Shadesmar and the concept of physical, spiritual and cognitive realms. We may not learn much about the other Shards or Adonalsium specifically, but I think there is going to have to be at least some discussion of Realmatic theory and an understanding that Odium, Honor, and Cultivation are all the same kind of being. Also, I am hoping we will get more insight into the rules that govern the interactions between Shards - all that stuff about choosing Champions that Honor talked about.

It appears that understanding Spren will give a bunch of insight into the Cosmere too, Brandon Sanderson said something about the Spren being related to Nightblood.

Anyways none of that has anything to do with the original topic... except that there is still a lot to read and find out about for all of us.

Edited by LightReader

The Spren are related to NIGHTBLOOD! :D :D :D :D :D

I hope he expands on the Cosmere too. It plays a big part of the story.

Yeah, that's what Brandon said.

Objects with almost sentient behavior like nightblood in Warbreaker share important links with the Spren from tWoK. If you understand the spren you will understand a lot about the connection between the books.

I wrote a theory on this: About the nature of spren

And do you remember the smoke that Nightblood emits? That dark smoke that is emitted when he kills someone?

Yeah, it's related to the smoke that comes out of people's eyes when they're killed by Shardblades.

Nightblood is a very very interesting magical person. I believe he holds many mysteries about cognition, investiture, accessing magic, and other unknown terms.

Well, we know that the black smoke from Nightblood is corrupted Breaths. I personally believe Breaths to be a large component of a person's spiritual aspect, a fragment of Endowment. It makes sense to me, because the Divine Breath is of Endowment, and gathering enough smaller breaths produces the same effects. Brandon also said that a Divine Breath is just like a super-breath.

So if the black smoke is a corrupted piece of Endowment that was once a part of a person's spiritual aspect, then I imagine the smoke from the eyes of those killed by a Shardblade are corrupted pieces of Honor.

An interesting question is, why would these spiritual aspects become corrupted? I've heard people say things about Nightblood being against Endowment's intent, taking life rather then giving it. Assuming that is true then the reason Shardblades corrupt spiritual aspects is presumably because they are killing the people they were made to protect. I don't know what's wrong with the Shardblades, but I still firmly believe they are of Honor. We know that "once these weapons meant protecting" so these weapons of Honor are clearly being turned against their purpose by killing the people of Honor.

My biggest question right now is, what happens to these corrupted spiritual aspects? I believe that a Shard cannot lose it's power permanently so they must come back. I personally believe that these are examples of a Shard's power being, "expended in ways they were hesitant to". I personally believe, like the Principle of Intent says (or will say when Chaos revises it) that it takes more power when Shards go against their intent it takes more power and longer to return. So eventually the Breath will return to Endowment and the spiritual aspects to Honor, but it'll take awhile.

Well, we know that the black smoke from Nightblood is corrupted Breaths. I personally believe Breaths to be a large component of a person's spiritual aspect, a fragment of Endowment. It makes sense to me, because the Divine Breath is of Endowment, and gathering enough smaller breaths produces the same effects. Brandon also said that a Divine Breath is just like a super-breath.

So if the black smoke is a corrupted piece of Endowment that was once a part of a person's spiritual aspect, then I imagine the smoke from the eyes of those killed by a Shardblade are corrupted pieces of Honor.

An interesting question is, why would these spiritual aspects become corrupted? I've heard people say things about Nightblood being against Endowment's intent, taking life rather then giving it. Assuming that is true then the reason Shardblades corrupt spiritual aspects is presumably because they are killing the people they were made to protect. I don't know what's wrong with the Shardblades, but I still firmly believe they are of Honor. We know that "once these weapons meant protecting" so these weapons of Honor are clearly being turned against their purpose by killing the people of Honor.

My biggest question right now is, what happens to these corrupted spiritual aspects? I believe that a Shard cannot lose it's power permanently so they must come back. I personally believe that these are examples of a Shard's power being, "expended in ways they were hesitant to". I personally believe, like the Principle of Intent says (or will say when Chaos revises it) that it takes more power when Shards go against their intent it takes more power and longer to return. So eventually the Breath will return to Endowment and the spiritual aspects to Honor, but it'll take awhile.

the Parshendi get the same effect, as do the chasmfiends, so if you are right this would imply they are not Voidbringerrs.

the Parshendi get the same effect, as do the chasmfiends, so if you are right this would imply they are not Voidbringerrs.

I'm not entirely certain the parshendi are the bad guys of the story. when rescuing brightidiot [in that specifc incidance at least] dalinar from the betrayal kal specifically says that the parshendi were going easy on the wounded members of the crew defending the bridge.He even refuses to go on the offensive agains them [at most protect dalinar on the field]. they have acted with more honour then the alethi and the alethi still get their eyes burned out.

An interesting question is, why would these spiritual aspects become corrupted?

Maybe instead of the aspects being "corrupted", it would be more accurate to say that they are "tarnished" or "corroded" i.e. they are not affected morally so much as they are effected physically. I think they are just damaged because of the force required to rip someone's soul apart, the same way the energies in a spike are damaged.

• Chaos locked this topic