On Shard pairs and Complements

Qazxvy

Ok so I think that as every Shard has a complement, each pair of complements has a complement as well, so Shards 1 and 2 are paired, Shards 3 and 4 are paired, Shards 5 and 6 are paired, Shards 7 and 8 are paired, Shards 9 and 10, 11 and 12, 13 and 14, and Shards 15 and 16 ar paired. Also, the pair of 1 and 2 are paired with 3 and 4, 5 and 6 with 7 and 8, 9 and 10 with 11 and 12, and 13 and 14 with 15 and 16. AND THEN... 1, 2, 3, 4 are paired with 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9, 10, 11, 12 are paired with 13, 14, 15, 16 and then those two sets are paired together, and eventually they either complement or negate each other, making Adonalsium, which when whole has either no power or lots of power, but I am inclined to believe that when Adonalsium is whole it has completely negated power. Kind of like how Ruin and Preservation negate each other but when the shards fit together.... None of them get any power. Also this makes sense because of the allomantic metals, each one has a pair or complement like tin and pewter, and then there are steel in bronze in that same group (I think) and then there are the basic metals, and then there are the 16 that were know at Kelsier's time. I'm not sure that the metaphor with the metals is completely accurate, but hopefully you guys understand what I am saying.

Here's what Brandon has to say about the "opposing Shard theory"

CHAOS

Are Shards all paired? Does Endowment have a counterpart?

BRANDON SANDERSON

RAFO. Also, yes and no. Not all Shards have perfect counterparts like Ruin and Preservation.

QUESTION

Why were Ruin and Preservation linked together?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Because they're such perfect opposites. Basically it's just an opposites attract thing.

Source

• Chaos locked this topic