Mistborn Maneuvers

killersquirrel59

So the game system I'm working on is largely dependent on specific maneuvers that can be performed while burning each metal. I have now finished the first draft of all 19 metals on their own. The next step for me is to write a series of Mistborn Maneuvers, tricks that can only be performed while burning multiple metals at once. I'm looking for a flood of awesome ideas and figured this is the place to get it.

These can be things that bend or even slightly break the rules. My system has a way of allowing for such things at high levels. I'm not looking for any kind of system help on this (at least not yet), really just ideas for cool tricks that only a Mistborn could accomplish that I can write up as maneuvers.

Here's a few basic ideas I had so far

Lay the Road Before You: Vin's trick with the horseshoes as she continually recovered them and thus could effectively fly endlessly.

Allomantic telekinesis: Push and Pull on an object with exactly equal force so that the object remains suspended in the air. If the force is great enough (which it should be given that it's your whole mass involved) this should be enough to overcome the pull of gravity (like a suspended object pulled in two directions). The Mistborn can then turn and effectively control the object's flight through the air as he himself turns and adjust it's position relative to himself by slightly altering the push/pull ratio.

Any help would be appreciated. Throw out any ideas you have.

Allomantic telekinesis: Push and Pull on an object with exactly equal force so that the object remains suspended in the air. If the force is great enough (which it should be given that it's your whole mass involved) this should be enough to overcome the pull of gravity (like a suspended object pulled in two directions). The Mistborn can then turn and effectively control the object's flight through the air as he himself turns and adjust it's position relative to himself by slightly altering the push/pull ratio.

I don't think this would work, there's no friction produced by Allomantic pushing and pulling, the two forces would just cancel eachother out and leave the downward force of gravity to still act on it.

As for feats, Duralumin enhancing is obvious, Pewter and Iron/Steel to allow for more force to be handled, or Pewter and Steel to add maxmium force behind any metallic weapons you're using (Push on it while swinging with pewter enhanced muscles = win). Tin and Steel allows for better accuracy.

Edited by Voidus

I don't think this would work, there's no friction produced by Allomantic pushing and pulling, the two forces would just cancel eachother out and leave the downward force of gravity to still act on it.

As for feats, Duralumin enhancing is obvious, Pewter and Iron/Steel to allow for more force to be handled, or Pewter and Steel to add maxmium force behind any metallic weapons you're using (Push on it while swinging with pewter enhanced muscles = win). Tin and Steel allows for better accuracy.

There must be friction produced by Allomancy. We see a coin suspended in the air between two allomancers both pushing on it several times. I don't see how this would be any different.

I have a built in system for Duralumin already. I don't need anything else for that. 

I like the idea for using Tin to enhance accuracy of Coinshots.

I'm sorry to be a killjoy, but I think Voidus is right, there should be no additional forces in allomantic push and pulls.

I just re-read the first pushing contest between Kelsier and Vin: it starts with Kelsier shooting a bunch of coins towards Vin who immediately pushes back. Most of the coins get thrown sideways by the opposing forces, and just one, by chance, remains exactly in the right position so that they can continue pushing on it. Now strictly speaking that would be a very unlikely chance, and any little disturbance should make that coin fly away as well(the system is unstable, if it was a pulling match it could be stable), but it's physically possible.

Keeping an object still by yourself on the other hand is not really possible. You can probably do some very interesting things like Kelsier shows when he fight the inquisitor, but it can't be really fine work.

As for you starting request, I think it should be easier to use tin effectively if you are burning pewter. In the third book Spook finds that having pewter complements his tin, it helps him ignore everything what he is interested in in that moment.

Between two opposing Allomancers there will be a point where if the coin is just slightly above their centre of mass they'll both be pushing it upwards just enough to counter gravity, by yourself both forces will always be directly opposite, there's no upwards component to the force.

• Chaos locked this topic