In Mistborn: The Final Empire

TheRavenHasLanded

Question

I noticed something interesting. When Vin burns Sazeds pewter metalmind, she could feel the extra reserve of power in it. Does that mean that Vin is possibly a feruchemist mistborn mix? If so, that would make her the only naturally born mistborn feruchemist (with every power) ever, I believe.

5 answers to this question

59 minutes ago, TheRavenHasLanded said:

I noticed something interesting. When Vin burns Sazeds pewter metalmind, she could feel the extra reserve of power in it. Does that mean that Vin is possibly a feruchemist mistborn mix? If so, that would make her the only naturally born mistborn feruchemist (with every power) ever, I believe.

Vin felt the power, because it was investiture. Other Feruchemists feel that power as well. However she can't reach it because its identity isn't aligned with Vin's identity. She wasn't a Feruchemist.

22 minutes ago, TheRavenHasLanded said:

Here’s a follow up question: is it possible for an allomancer to access that power somehow?

If this Feruchemical charge has blanked Identity, or better the same identity that an Allomancer has, then yes, they will be able to Compound. But they can't control this power or store it because they're not a Feruchemist - it would be just released as a Feruchemical attribute, making them 10x stronger for example.

Spoiler

Kurkistan

If you spiked out Miles' Feruchemical gold, would he be able to burn his Allomantic reserves [read: Feruchemical reserves using Allomancy] and heal it back?

Brandon Sanderson

If you spiked out his ability to heal gold and somehow left him alive?

Kurkistan

Yeah, but still having Allomancy.

Brandon Sanderson

Still has Allomancy...

Kurkistan

And he’s like in the middle of burning a goldmind.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, that would still work. It'd still have a Spiritual Connection to him.

Kurkistan

So if you're a Coinshot and you get [spiked] to have Feruchemical steel, and then you lose the spike after making a store, you can still Compound that for speed?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes... Yeah, that should still work.

Kurkistan

Was Paalm doing that?

Brandon Sanderson

That's a RAFO.

Shadows of Self Chicago signing (Oct. 12, 2015)

According to this WoB, the Lord Ruler had to alter his spirit web to become a full Allomancer/Feruchemist because normally being a full version of both isn’t possible, so I don’t think it was possible for Vin to have both power sets.

Spoiler

Doc_John

Hey, you've mentioned before that for the Lord Ruler to be able to be a Mistborn and a Feruchemist he had to alter his spiritweb in some way because a person can't normally hold all 32 powers. What about a Mistborn Ferring? Would it be possible for someone born with all 16 powers of Allomancy to also be born with a Ferring power? What about a Ferring Misting? Thanks

Brandon Sanderson

This is possible now, when it once wasn't, but would be very unlikely.

Doc_John

Just as getting a Mistborn nowadays is very unlikely but that hasn't stopped people from trying ;) ;)

Follow up, having past a certain number of medallions doesn't work currently in world. Is this because of this same issue? Or is it more of a technical hurdle with the medallion?

Brandon Sanderson

The core root is the same issue, but it's not insurmountable with technological improvements.

General Reddit 2020 (Aug. 13, 2020)

It is not possible for an Allomancer to access Feruchemical power through burning Feruchemically charged metal unless they were the one to store an attribute in it.

Spoiler

Andrew The Great (paraphrased)

What would happen if a person were to burn a metal that was Feruchemically charged using Allomancy?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

The metal used in Allomancy is like a key or a doorway to the power that Allomancy actually uses. The metal acts as a filter, much as the Aons in Elantris do, to determine what the power actually does. However, if the metal is Feruchemically charged, then it will basically become a super-burst of Feruchemical power with no Allomantic effect. The Feruchemical charge acts as a filter as well as the metal, and changes what the power does. in this case, say you were burning steel, you would just be massively speedy for a second, and wouldn't actually have the ability to push on anything Allomantically. Hope that answered the question. I get the concept, so if you need me to explain it differently, let me know and I'll try. Oh, the other thing I forgot is that this concept only works if it's a metal that you charged yourself. If it's a metal someone else charged, it would just work like regular Allomancy, and the Feruchemical charge would just cease to exist.

Andrew The Great (paraphrased)

If someone aluminum or duralumin burned the Feruchemically charged metals, what would happen?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Basically the same thing as above, except with aluminum. Aluminum, they would just go away.

Idaho Falls Signing (June 20, 2009)

On 12/29/2023 at 1:57 PM, TheRavenHasLanded said:

Here’s a follow up question: is it possible for an allomancer to access that power somehow?

Yes! If Sazed had stored his Identity into a separate mind while filling the mind which he gave Vin to burn, it's theoretically possible that she might have been able to obtain access to a rudimentary form of compounding without medallions or the bands of mourning.

A one pound lump of steel and/or zinc with 5-minutes worth of identityless feruchemic charge would probably have been the greatest gift Sazed could ever have given Vin; it's just a shame that they didn't know how identity magic works.