Returning preservation

Redbee

I think it should, yeah. But now I have a random thought. Both Ruin and Preservation are responsible for creating humans, but considering they were in the midst of the galaxy's biggest custody battle, I wonder if the Vessels actively had the desire to create each individual human. Was it the Vessels who created each human, or is it the Shard Investiture's vague mind that created each human? And how do these forces decide things like physical and biological attributes? Personally, I think it was the Shards doing it without the active hand of their hosts. Especially since Ati and Leras were losing their minds, albeit in different ways.

Though with Sazed in charge of both, I think he would be the one completely in charge of creating humans, and be able to equalize the Investiture with this "kill all Scadrian" thing.

Edited by Ale the Metallic Conjurer

14 hours ago, Redbee said:

Just had a random thought, if every single scadrian was killed, every single one, would this result in the preservation inside harmony becoming more even with the amount of ruin? 

It should but it depends. If Preservation's fragment in Scadrians is like Atium - Investiture splintered from its Shard and locked in independent cycle. Atium after getting burned didn't return to Ruin, it returned slowly to the Pits of Hathsin. The same might be with Preservation's fragment. It might be a predetermined amount of Investiture, splintered and locked away in the cycle of life and death. If that's how it works, then Preservation himself (Harmony) would have to absorb that Investiture to balance Ruin.

12 hours ago, Ale the Metallic Conjurer said:

I wonder if the Vessels actively had the desire to create each individual human. Was it the Vessels who created each human, or is it the Shard Investiture's vague mind that created each human? And how do these forces decide things like physical and biological attributes? 

At this point Shard's "mind" and Vessels' mind are one and the same. Power has no mind of its own. A Vessel  is the mind of a Shard. Vessels have the desire to create sentient life and they used the power and knowledge of the Shard to do that. Vessels not only knew how humanity looks but the power of their Shards knew precisely what to do and how to do that, because it knew humans as well. And if the power of a Shard knows something, its Vessel can access it and know it too.

12 hours ago, Ale the Metallic Conjurer said:

Especially since Ati and Leras were losing their minds, albeit in different ways.

Not in the way you're thinking. Their minds were being slowly aligned with intents of their Shards. But Vessels don't lose their minds, they don't become less aware. At the point of Scadrial's creation it wasn't that bad yet. Later Preservation used his mind to trap Ruin and that indeed caused him to slowly lose his mind as he was dying over millennia. Ati and Leras were fully aware of what they can do and how to do it when creating Scadrial and its population - just like Vin got instantly aware what's wrong with Elend, how serious and deep is his wound, what was damaged and how to fix it, when she held the power of the Well of Ascension, despite having no prior anatomical knowledge. 

On 12/4/2023 at 10:48 AM, alder24 said:

It should but it depends. If Preservation's fragment in Scadrians is like Atium - Investiture splintered from its Shard and locked in independent cycle. Atium after getting burned didn't return to Ruin, it returned slowly to the Pits of Hathsin. The same might be with Preservation's fragment. It might be a predetermined amount of Investiture, splintered and locked away in the cycle of life and death. If that's how it works, then Preservation himself (Harmony) would have to absorb that Investiture to balance Ruin.

On 12/4/2023 at 10:48 AM, alder24 said:

Not in the way you're thinking. Their minds were being slowly aligned with intents of their Shards. But Vessels don't lose their minds, they don't become less aware. At the point of Scadrial's creation it wasn't that bad yet. Later Preservation used his mind to trap Ruin and that indeed caused him to slowly lose his mind as he was dying over millennia. Ati and Leras were fully aware of what they can do and how to do it when creating Scadrial and its population - just like Vin got instantly aware what's wrong with Elend, how serious and deep is his wound, what was damaged and how to fix it, when she held the power of the Well of Ascension, despite having no prior anatomical knowledge. 

All I can say is that the anatomy of Shards is so freaking weird XD