Herald Chapter Pictures--Identities *spoilers*

Timemaster11

I believe I have discovered the identities of all the Herald images.

First, if one looks in the Ars Arcanium, one may notice that the ten numbers for the ten essences are actually shortened versions of the Herald names.

1)Jes=Jezrien

2)Nan=Nalan

6)Shash=Shalash

8)Kak=Kalak

9)Tanat=Talenel (also known as Talenelat)

10)Ishi=Ishar

Thus, we have the element association of each of the Heralds, as well as on abbreviated form of all of their names.

Also, note that on the front inside cover, the image with all the symbols surrounded by the Herald images, if one starts with the blue symbol and moves clockwise around the image, the symbols appear to match, in order, with the Gemstones.

1)Blue-Sapphire

3)Red-Ruby

4)White-Diamond

5)Green-Emerald

6)Red-Garnet

8)Purple-Amethyst

9)Dark Yellow-Topaz

Now, note that approximately above each symbol is one of the Herald images.

My theory is that the Herald image above each symbol is the Herald of that gemstone.

Supporting evidence:

1) The image easily identified, Jezrien, is associated with the sapphire symbol.

2) It is stated that the Heralds are 5 female, 5 male.  Of those, Jezrien, Nalan, Kalak, and Talenel are all known to be male.  The gemstone symbols connected to these 4 are all associated with male images.

3) Many believe that Ishar is a male-sounding name, and believe Ishar to be the fifth male.  Ishar's gemstone symbol is associated with the fifth male image.

4) It is noted that whenever Hoid appears, his image appears.  Assuming that there is some pattern to the appearing of the other images, another image can be positively identified.  In the epilogue, the helmed image appears.  Thus, it appears Talenel is the helmed image.  Note now that the helmed image is associated with Talenel's gemstone symbol, Topaz.

5) From the specifics of Shallan's attributes, it has been thought that Shallan is of the 6th radiant order, Garnet, thus associated with Shalash.  Note that each of the times she enters Shadesmar, the image of the lady with a jewel on her forehead appears.  This image is the one associated with the garnet symbol.

On a side note, there are only 3 non-Shallan chapters where the proposed-Shalash image appears.  One of those is the Baxil chapter, where that image is the only one.  It has been separately proposed that Baxil's mistress is actually Shalash, which fits well with that image being the sole one for the chapter.

This is completely full of win, thanks so much!

I think this is the best collection of info I've found so far about the inside cover chart, correspondence with the heralds and gems, and appearances in the chapter heads.

Now I suppose it is time to decipher what all of the connecting lines mean, the minor symbols, and what the symbols themselves mean :P

I've heard one theory that the major symbols on that chart could correspond to the hilts on their blade, which sounds pretty awesome.

Excellent. I'm glad I'm not the only one making posts about this. You can see my theories about this here. I've got an updated version of the chart and theories going up sometime this week.

Also, in your supporting evidence, number 2 has the name Nanat. This a typo, or a more obscure reference in the book? (And if it is in the book, page number? I've been trying to find all the obscure references to names of the Heralds.)

I am not fully sure where it is found, but someone gave this quote from WoK in the Heralds thread at timewasters:

"He began walking, leading Adolin around the back rim of the temple chamber. They passed statues of the Heralds, five male, five female. In truth, Adolin knew very little of what Kadash was saying. He

Where was it stated that five are female, and five are male?

On page 285, when Adolin is talking with Ardent Kadash in the temple:
They passed statues of the Heralds, five male, five female.

While this may just be a product of Vorinism and not actual truth, I think it's a pretty good assumption that this is fact.

There may be other references to the genders, but this is the one that sprang to mind first.

Edit: Timemaster got there before me. Curses.

This...is...AMAZING.  WOW.

Who else thinks it odd that the first book, the one focused on Kaladin, is blue, and that the blue symbol looks pretty darn similar to the sword symbol on the front of the book?  I'm going to assume that the honorspren and Windrunning in general are tied to Jezrien somehow.  I'm thinking that the ten orders of Knights are each tied to a Herald, which would make sense, since the Heralds would seem to be the generals in each Desolation.  Any other ideas?

One interesting thing... The masked person? The one associated with Wit/Hoid? It is in the Adolin chapter before the chasmfiend fight (as they're traveling there and they all of the sudden find it snuck up on them) It's chapter... 12. Why would that be? Hoid might be in the background in Elohkar's camp, but besides that, what else could it be? Maybe Hoid led the ...

Oh wait. I'm wrong. Severely so. Wit is indeed in the chapter. He makes fun of Adolin and Renarin.

Sigh. Proves me right for posting before getting my details right.

If you haven't listened to the interview with Brandon yet, go do that, it has a lot of relevance to this topic.

Now that we know that each order has two magic systems and each system is associated with two orders, which other order has Lashings?  I'm also betting that Shallan's Memories are part of the other Garnet system.

If you haven't listened to the interview with Brandon yet, go do that, it has a lot of relevance to this topic.

Now that we know that each order has two magic systems and each system is associated with two orders, which other order has Lashings?  I'm also betting that Shallan's Memories are part of the other Garnet system.

Where is this interview? Could someone post a link?

So if each a magic system can go over two orders, I'm assuming that the small glyphs are magic systems? Also is it possible that each magic system is tied with a particular type of magic system, so that each glyph also a spren type?

Where is this interview? Could someone post a link?

So if each a magic system can go over two orders, I'm assuming that the small glyphs are magic systems? Also is it possible that each magic system is tied with a particular type of magic system, so that each glyph also a spren type?

The interview is in the News and Announcements sections.

I'm thinking the spren types are actually tied to the order of Radiant, cuz I don't think Kaladin's going to get another spren buddy since he's already said the oath.

I'm thinking the spren types are actually tied to the order of Radiant, cuz I don't think Kaladin's going to get another spren buddy since he's already said the oath.

This wouldn't change anything. Its not the Knights that get two different types of spren, but two orders of knights get the same type of spren. E.g. line spren might cover both soulcasting orders. But now I think of it, I do agree that each order probably has its own type of spren, though the spren between the two orders which share the same magic ability would have to be similar in some respect (honour spren bond, and the other surgebinding order's spren would also have to bond, though they would be a different type of spren).

Now that you've matched the border faces to Heralds, I'm curious as to your thoughts on the woman in the middle. Who dat? Is she just an ornament, or is she as significant as the Heralds? The only non-Herald female I know of is the Nightwatcher, but does it make sense to put her there?

This wouldn't change anything. Its not the Knights that get two different types of spren, but two orders of knights get the same type of spren. E.g. line spren might cover both soulcasting orders. But now I think of it, I do agree that each order probably has its own type of spren, though the spren between the two orders which share the same magic ability would have to be similar in some respect (honour spren bond, and the other surgebinding order's spren would also have to bond, though they would be a different type of spren).

But each order is tied to two magic systems.  If each magic system gets a spren and each order gets two magic systems, each order would get two spren. (yay, syllogisms!)

He means both.  If you look at the chart, (assuming the big circles to correspond to an order and the smaller ones to correspond to a magic system) you will notice that each big circle is linked to exactly two of the small circles AND that each small circle is linked to exactly two of the big circles.  The big circles are also linked to each other according to which of the small circles they share.  (There are exceptions to this however, with big circles on opposite ends of the chart linked to each other as well.)  Let's look at Kaladin and Szeth.  Both have access to Windrunning.   (Surgebinding?  I forget the difference. Dangit.)  However, that does not mean they are of the same order.  It could mean (and the more I think about this the more likely it seems to me) that they are of two separate orders, both of which use Windrunning, and are probably linked in some other ways as well.  The exciting implications of this are that both of them are due to discover another magic in addition to Windrunning, which would link them to yet another order each.

I believe that windrunning is a type of surgebinding, sort of like how a square is a type of rectangle.

I bet the windrunners were the Radiants we saw flying about in Shardplate. You could probably fly quite effectively if you were skilled enough at Lashing.