Why isn't this username allowed? :(

Robin Sedai

3 hours ago, Ookla the Last Post said:

Spoiler

Screenshot2023-11-26at19-54-23Settings-17thShardtheOfficialBrandonSandersonFansite.thumb.png.0d52ec94c43e93045b7402f6c6eabf98.png

I can't say for this specific site, but from a base cybersecurity perspective SQL Injection and Cross Site Scripting are both threats that can have mitigation by preventing punctuation and other special characters from being used in forms that are stored to the database*. So, it's possible that using the parentheses is what makes this an invalid user name. 

*Especially if a given site does not want to try maintaining a blacklist of characters or coding "escape" translations to allow the characters but prevent malicious use. 

28 minutes ago, Ookla the Last Post said:

I searched and there are tons of sharders with parentheses in their usernames?

Not a big deal though! I'm just curious

Right but have any of those been added since the change to the new Forum?

The closest I saw in your search was still a month before the change (and that was a likely Spam account - based on 0 posts remaining and the numbers used in the name which are common to the Spam accounts).

Just because this wasn't blocked before the change does not mean it isn't blocked now (and I could be totally wrong about it being a Malware mitigation).

10 minutes ago, Treamayne said:

Right but have any of those been added since the change to the new Forum?

The closest I saw in your search was still a month before the change (and that was a likely Spam account - based on 0 posts remaining and the numbers used in the name which are common to the Spam accounts).

Just because this wasn't blocked before the change does not mean it isn't blocked now (and I could be totally wrong about it being a Malware mitigation).

Oh yeah, that would explain it! Thanks Treamayne!