First Time RPG Gamer Advice

ShashZone

If I wanted to learn how to play a RPG videogame, what would y'all reccomend??? I was very good at Mario and Sonic, but haven't played any video games in years. End goal is to play fantasy related RPG games if I end up liking it.  I have a SurfacePro 9 docked with two monitors. All suggestions welcome!!! Thanks!

If it's your first time playing an RPG, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is a must. It's basically the quintessential role playing game. The cool thing about Bethesda games is you can mod them (download fan made content to make the game even better). Like for example I have one that adds around 150+ new spells to the game and others that add new landmasses filled with quests, and even one that changes how you attack in combat. It's literally an endless playground and the base vanilla game isn't bad either. 

If you want turn based then the older Final Fantasy games are a good starting point (4-10 are all very good in different ways).

I’d say hold off on Elder Scrolls games till more experienced. They can be way to intimidating just jumping right in.

Get something simple like an easy to play Final Fantasy game with uncomplicated systems and good story. Most of those are one and done instead of being hammered with massive amounts of lore.

Definitely second starting out simple. The systems become pretty intuitive in most games, but they also sort of assume you already understand how they work. So it's better to play first games where there's not much to understand in the first place.

Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest are good options, Dragon Quest's entire appeal is being simple.

Aside from that, just whatever you pick don't overthink it and enjoy the ride. You'll find complicated guides and complex optimized builds for pretty much any game, which might trick someone into thinking such builds are a requirement, but these are still games that are meant to be enjoyed, they can be played by ear for the most part. You might share a party build with someone and be told it's a bad one, or be showered in suggestions to improve it but hey, if it gets you to the credits and you find it fun, who cares? Having fun is the goal here. 

14 hours ago, ShashZone said:

If I wanted to learn how to play a RPG videogame, what would y'all reccomend??? I was very good at Mario and Sonic, but haven't played any video games in years. End goal is to play fantasy related RPG games if I end up liking it.  I have a SurfacePro 9 docked with two monitors. All suggestions welcome!!! Thanks!

I would recommend getting a couple of cheap shorter RPG Videogames, preferably different styles so you can compare and find what you do and do not like. Different views/camera angles (for example, I loathe anything first-person), different combat types (turn based, real-time, etc), different focus (story, puzzle, combat, etc.) I prefer Good Old Games (GoG) because there are frequent sales, and most much older games are very cheap even without a sale, so it is easy to find and try a variety without breaking your wallet (and, of course, I loathe Steam - but that's a different story).

Games I have enjoyed:

Spoiler
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Vampire the Masquerade
    • Redemption - Group based, real-time combat
    • Bloodlines - Very open and modular build - can be focused on Social, political, or combat and high re-play value
  • Witcher
    • Each has their pluses and minuses - I like all three but prefer the original Witcher 1 best
    • Mature Content Warning
  • Thief: Dark Ages
  • Quest Games (very old school)
    • Police Quest
    • Space Quest
    • Dragon Quest
  • Magic the Gathering: Shandalar
    • Loosly "rpg" in that the character leveling is building MtG decks - requires knowledge of the MtG Card Game

Edited by Treamayne
Examples

I’d say it’s also dependent on what your graphics preferences are. Like I’m an 80’s kid so I can go back and play with blobs no problem but good luck if I can get my offspring to watch something being played on a PS2 without some serious complaints.

My 1st RPG was Final Fantasy 8 and it has a special place in my heart for the launch into franchise/genre.

Grandia 1-3 was fun and simple to.

Skies of Arcadia is epic.

idk how easy it would be to find those two series now days without the specific consoles they played on, but Final Fantasy is everywhere I’m pretty sure.