The "Investiture Fabrial"

Maia

Hi everyone!

There's something I have been wondering since reading Yumi back in July. I have had a look here on the Forum to see if anyone else had asked about this but found nothing - so here I am.

Possible spoilers for Yumi and for RoW.

Could the fabrial Design uses to "mesure" the investiture level on Yumi be a work of Navani / something born out one of her projects? 

Welcome to the Forums. Spoiler tags are the "eye" icon on the edit toolbar, and are much preferred over extra blank lines for separateing spoilers (I edited your quote below to show an example). If you have not already done so, please use the Introduction Forum or your Profile to let us know what, if any, Cosmere books you have not yet read, so we can avoid spoilers in our replies.

1 hour ago, Maia said:

Hi everyone!

There's something I have been wondering since reading Yumi back in July. I have had a look here on the Forum to see if anyone else had asked about this but found nothing - so here I am.

Spoiler

Could the fabrial Design uses to "mesure" the investiture level on Yumi be a work of Navani / something born out one of her projects? 

It's possible of course, but also please remember that we do not know how far into the future YatNP takes place and that terms like Fabrial will become generalized Realmatic terminology, rather than using terms specific to Roshar, Sel, Scadrial, etc. So, just because it was called a Fabrial does not mean that it came from Roshar or runs on gems and stormlight. Words of Brandon (WoBs - Spoilers removed - originals are linked):

Spoiler

Brandon Sanderson

That was why I invented the term "fabrial." It will become widespread eventually, as the term for meaning, kind of, magic-type devices in the cosmere. That's not what you call it right now, but you can start calling them all fabrials.

Brandon Sanderson

In future era cosmere, the scholars would point and say, "oh yeah, there were some early fabrials happening on Scadrial at that time." That's the terminology they would use.

Argent

There's smoke involved, there's eating of souls, there's a whole bunch of things. So what I do want to ask is: one, was the father machine Awakened using Breaths, using Nalthian Awakening? Or are you using Awakening as Lightweaving or Bondsmithing which is an overarching system in the Cosmere?

Brandon Sanderson

It's the second. This wouldn't exist in the pre-space-age as much; by space age there's a certain terminology that is going between... basically it's starting with the arcanists and moving to the general population. What certain themes in the Cosmere magics mean. And so when Hoid says "this is an Awakened machine" his audience understands what that means. It does not necessarily mean Breaths Awaken, but Breaths are one of the main ways that people see things be Awakened. You should be noticing those parallels, but that's a term that in the Cosmere is becoming genericized to mean un-living object being given some measure of sentience and even sapience by application of Investiture, Commands, and these sorts of things. By this point they've all interacted with various Awakened machines of sorts in the future Cosmere. They know what this means. They've talked to an Awakened computer.

Hope that helps.

2 hours ago, Maia said:

Hi everyone!

Yumi seems to take place really far in the Future, in the space era, around Mistborn Era 4 - that's hundreds of years into the future. I doubt Navani is still alive by this point, or that she created advanced Fabrial like this one, but her work most likely was a foundation for such devices, even if this particular fabrial didn't originate from Roshar.