Could Duralumin Feruchemy grant Selish Arcana? [Discuss]

Ravenclawjedi42

In Mistborn, it is stated that Duralumin Feruchemy stores Connection. The exact specifics of this are unknown, but this and related things have been seen to make you understand languages as if you were a native speaker from that area. But I, in late(ish)-night unable to sleep Cosmere Theorizing, wondered if Connection shenanigans could grant you access to the Selish Arcana, such as Elantrianism or Forgery, which are location-based Investiture systems dependent on where you were born. But using Duralumin could, if this theory is correct, make you able to be taken by the Shaod. And perhaps it could also give you a breath if you used Duralumin on Nalthis. Hemalurgically this is bound to have applications too. What do you guys think?

1 hour ago, Ravenclawjedi42 said:

In Mistborn, it is stated that Duralumin Feruchemy stores Connection. The exact specifics of this are unknown, but this and related things have been seen to make you understand languages as if you were a native speaker from that area. But I, in late(ish)-night unable to sleep Cosmere Theorizing, wondered if Connection shenanigans could grant you access to the Selish Arcana, such as Elantrianism or Forgery, which are location-based Investiture systems dependent on where you were born. But using Duralumin could, if this theory is correct, make you able to be taken by the Shaod. And perhaps it could also give you a breath if you used Duralumin on Nalthis. Hemalurgically this is bound to have applications too. What do you guys think?

One thing I want to mention, this topic really belongs in the Cosmere Forum, as it contains spoilers for Mistborn, Elantris, and Warbreaker. Ignore this, I was being stupid.

Also, have you read ToES? I don't want to spoil anything there for you, so I'll hold my tongue on this topic until I know you're not going to get a spoiler.

Edited by Trusk'our

1 hour ago, Ravenclawjedi42 said:

General consensus is maybe but isn't quite so simple. 

Tress spoilers

Spoiler

Hoid became an Elantrian but said that you couldn't fake a Connection to become an Elantrian, you had to be 'invited' into certain groups, like the Ire, in order to become one.

As for gaining a Breath? Probably no, it'd be like trying to gain Allomancy with Duralumin, it wouldn't work and you either need to be born with it or have one given to you.

As for Hemalurgy? Yeah it'd have implications, it'd be one of the Spikes needed to steal an Elantrian's 'elantrianness', you'd need one spike for the powers and another for the Connection. So you could also steal other Selish Arts this way.

7 hours ago, Ravenclawjedi42 said:

Yes, yes you can. It isn't confirmed by Brandon, but from what we know already, Connections can give you a lot of things. To have chances at becoming an Elantrian you just need a Connection to Arelon, a strong one - this can be done with Duraluminmind of course. But then you have just a strong Connection to Arelon, you have to be lucky to be taken by Shaod and undergo a transformation, turning you into an Elantrian - it's possible if you have a proper Connection, but you have to wait for it. 

An Elantrian can use Duraluminmind to store his Connection to Elantris and later tap it, when he's far away from it, and that will allow him to overcome the location dependency of AonDor. A duralumin Ferring can use Connection to make it easier to bond with multiple spren. You can even break into Hemalurgic constructs as a Connection Ferring.

Spoiler

Questioner

Could a Feruchemist, by tapping a duralumin metalmind on Sel in Arelon, be able to become an Elantrian? Or would it have to first fill an aluminum metalmind...

Brandon Sanderson

RAFO. RAFO.

Skyward Seattle signing (Nov. 10, 2018)

Spoiler

Questioner

I'm not sure if it was duralumin or something but the Feruchemical ability to store Connection, is that how Hoid worldhops? It stores Connection to another world?

Brandon Sanderson

It's a good question, it doesn't have anything to do with worldhopping but what it does do is once you have worldhopped you can change your Connection to which planet you are on, which helps you with magic systems.

Salt Lake City Comic-Con 2014 (Sept. 4, 2014)

Spoiler

DoritoJH

So, AonDor is super versatile and powerful.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, but region-locked!

DoritoJH

Yes, it is region locked, exactly. If a full Feruchemist using nicrosil were to create an unlocked medallion that allowed an Elantrian to store Connection to Elantris' location, would it let them use AonDor at full power as long as they were tapping that Connection?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. That should work just fine.

Just understand that the medallion's going to have to be usable by everyone in order to work. You're going to have to jump through some hoops, but I think what you want there would work. And for those of you listening, that would be the harder way to unlock AonDor. There are easier methods.

DragonCon 2019 (Aug. 31, 2019)

Spoiler

Questioner

I know Hemalurgy [has to go to mix and match powers], would it be possible to use Feruchemy for Connection to hack into multiple Knights Radiant, kind of act as a Squire to more than one at the same time.

Brandon Sanderson

Great question! I think you could make this work. I think it would take a little bit of legwork, but I think what you're wanting to do could indeed work. More likely in that case though, you could probably be a Squire to multiple Orders. *Hesitantly* Yeah...I think that would work, but I don't think it's the easiest way to do what you want to do. I think there are easier ways.

DragonCon 2019 (Aug. 29, 2019)

Spoiler

mail-mi

Could you spike Elantrian-ness? Like, could you Hemalurgically spike Elantrian-ness?

Brandon Sanderson

Theoretically, yes.

mail-mi

Could you out of a Reod Elantrian? The zombie ones?

Brandon Sanderson

Um, yes you could.

mail-mi

You could?

Brandon Sanderson

So what you would be spiking there is their Connection to...to the planet, first. That's gonna be the big important thing. So you're going to overwrite your Connection. Um, and then you're going to....it's going to be a complicated process because you're going to have to spike the actual ability to have been transformed, that's gonna be harder.

mail-mi

Okay.

Brandon Sanderson

Does that make sense?

mail-mi

Yeah, so it's gonna take two spikes.

Brandon Sanderson

It's gonna take two spikes.

mail-mi

Alright.

Brandon Sanderson

And you gonna have to get the right Connection to the right place. Let's say you spike somebody from MaiPon, and then you spike an Elantrian, you're not going to be able to use it, you're not connected to the right area.

Orem signing 2014 (Dec. 6, 2014)

Spoiler

Dopetruffles

And finally, whether a duralumin compounder could break into a kandra?

Brandon Sanderson

Um... yes, possible, yeah.

WorldCon 76 (Aug. 18, 2018)

But you won't gain Breaths. Breaths are given to you at birth, they are tied to your Identity. Connection won't give you that. You might be able to make yourself more likely to Return, but non-natives can already Return, because Endowment is choosing those who will Return. 

Spoiler

OrangeJedi

Could a non-native be able to be Returned?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, that is possible.

JoyBlu

So someone who was born without a Breath and came to Nalthis could possibly be Returned?

Brandon Sanderson

Possibly could be Returned. Yes. That's not very likely.

JoyBlu

So they could get a Divine Breath, even though never...

Brandon Sanderson

They could be given a Divine Breath, yes.

Orem Signing (March 16, 2019)

10 hours ago, JustQuestin2004 said:
Spoiler

Hoid became an Elantrian but said that you couldn't fake a Connection to become an Elantrian, you had to be 'invited' into certain groups, like the Ire, in order to become one.

Spoiler

Yes, but we don’t know how Hoid manipulates connection. We know that he doesn’t like Hemalurgy, and is Yolish, so he wouldn’t have access to the metallic arts. It could be inferior, especially to compounding Duralumin, which would result in a very strong Connection.