Spren and breaths

Stick The Savant

14 hours ago, Stick The Savant said:

Can a Spren hold breaths? If so, would holding many breaths make it harder connect them more to the physical realm allowing them to manifest more fully in the physical like Spren with a high bond? 

Honestly, I have no idea. Yes, investiture resists investiture, spren are very invested but you don't try to Awaken spren, just give them some Breaths. Breaths are a gift that adapts to the receiver's identity, they don't really seem to care about people's investiture and it seems there is no conflict between investitures in people's souls. But spren are different from people, they are Splinters, much more invested than people and without a physical body. The fact that spren do not manifest a physical body in normal circumstances might be problematic, as Breaths are mainly physical. 

However spren theoretically can pick up a Shard and Ascend so I think spren can be given Breaths (given, not Awakened). There might be some changes in spren's nature or personality if you give them enough Breaths, but that would be quite a lot.

Spoiler

/u/brnbrn1996 (paraphrased)

Is it possible for a sentient bit of Investiture to pick up a Shard? Like a spren or Nightblood?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

It would be possible yes, well, for a spren or a seon for example, it would. Nightblood could theoretically but it would be difficult for various reasons.

Right, because he has no hands.

*graciously chuckles at my dumb joke*

Would they have to be embodied to be able to actually use it effectively, or would they have the same limitations as Kelsier did when he was a cognitive shadow ?

They would have the same limitations yes, but there are ways around that.

Right, like Ishar is working on.

Right.

Miscellaneous 2022 (Nov. 11, 2022)

Spoiler

Questioner

With spikes, would you be able to actually transfer Breaths, when they get to the other planets?

Brandon Sanderson

So spikes rip off pieces of the soul and so Breaths are not going to be part of the soul. You could maybe get a divine Breath but I haven't really decided on regular Breaths, they're kind of stuck there in the Physical Realm which is not a thing that spikes are dealing with. Divine Breath, potentially, because that's something that's actually melding onto your soul. But, you know, when you're using the Breaths they reach through to the Spiritual Realm so, maybe if you got it while the Breaths were kinetic, right, while you're using them, then you might be able to rip them off. I'm not a hundred percent certain on that one.

Bystander

There's still things to decide upon.

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah there's still things, like I have to kind of see. My instinct says no right now. But, you know, how they interact is not something that I have-- Yeah.

Shadows of Self London UK signing (Oct. 19, 2015)

14 hours ago, Stick The Savant said:

Would a radiant Spren with heightenings grant stronger access to surges?

Having more Breaths doesn't make your Awakening more powerful - spren wouldn't grant more powerful Surges also because those two things are completely different. There is a part of a spren’s soul responsible for powers and Breaths don’t change that.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2023 at 8:34 AM, alder24 said:

Having more Breaths doesn't make your Awakening more powerful - spren wouldn't grant more powerful Surges also because those two things are completely different. There is a part of a spren’s soul responsible for powers and Breaths don’t change that.

having more breaths does explicitly make Awakening more powerful. It grants instinctive awakening, the ability to awaken with sound instead of touch, the ability to awaken non-organic materials, along with just making it easier to awaken and give commands. A person with 10,000 breaths of equal skill to someone with 1000 can do more with 50 breaths. That sounds like 'more powerful' to me. 

Now I also don't think it would make the surges necessarily more powerful, but it could have other impacts.

Also Spren do have physical bodies (shard blades) so you can probably give them breaths while they are in shard form. 

1 hour ago, A Simple Pilgrim said:

having more breaths does explicitly make Awakening more powerful. It grants instinctive awakening, the ability to awaken with sound instead of touch, the ability to awaken non-organic materials, along with just making it easier to awaken and give commands. A person with 10,000 breaths of equal skill to someone with 1000 can do more with 50 breaths. That sounds like 'more powerful' to me. 

That's not "more powerful Awakening" that I'm talking about. If you have 25 Breaths and you made a strawman which requires 25 Breaths at minimum, with your hair as a focus like Vasher did in prologue, it would still cost you 25 Breaths to Awaken such strawman with your hair even if you have 50000 Breaths, and it would still do the same thing. The cost of Awakening isn't reduced the higher your Hightening is.

Your second to last, bolded sentence is wrong. 50 Breaths will do the same no matter how many Breaths you have. Awakeners with more Breaths don't care about making their objects in human shape and with a focus, they just push more Breaths into an object and it does the same thing as the cheaper one. The strength of an Awakened object doesn't depend on the amount of Breaths you used to Awaken it.

This is in contrast with Surgebinding - the more Ideals you swear, the more efficient you are with your use of Stormlight. A Windrunner of 4th Ideal can do more Lashings, or heal more, than a Windrunner of 1st Ideal with the same amount of Stormlight. Awakening doesn't work like that.

• 3 weeks later...

Seeing as 1. spren can surely receive breaths and two breaths are mostly in the PR and spren are mostly in the CR I'd assume that their physical presence is strengthened, so Syl could more easily carry things, but I doubt much of anything would change about them unless they pulled the breaths through to the CR somehow, Incorporating that investiture into them might do some things If there's enough of it relative to the spren because of sticky Intent.

A Radiant Spren's Surge granting is based off of oaths and the nahel bond so I doubt them holding breaths would have any effect. But if the knight had enough they could probably power their abilities through breath.

Edited by Sophrosyne
Added second paragraph.