Connection over radioes?

JustQuestin2004

So I'm reading through the Sunlit Man and up to the part where Nomad and Rebeke shot a scout and Nomad is calling the Greater Good over a radio and something big just hit me.

Nomad, a Worldhopper with no ability to speak the local language, is talking just fine over the radio with his Connection shenanigans. I was under the assumption that it only worked in person and that you weren't actually speaking the language, just the 'Spiritual meaning' of what you're saying is getting across the language barrier. But no, you are just actually speaking a new language.

It's not a huge thing in the grand scheme but it has upended one of my biggest assumptions. Connection works over the phone. Wow.

Not sure how related it is, but it sounds like the new “home” language completely replaces your ability to speak your typical native language. Nomad says later on in the Scadrian research pod that he hopes they don’t try to speak to him in Azish because that was overwritten by the Canticle language. 

Edited by Uncle Karlos

4 hours ago, JustQuestin2004 said:

Nomad, a Worldhopper with no ability to speak the local language, is talking just fine over the radio with his Connection shenanigans. I was under the assumption that it only worked in person and that you weren't actually speaking the language, just the 'Spiritual meaning' of what you're saying is getting across the language barrier. But no, you are just actually speaking a new language.

It's implied by the description (in TSM and BoM) that what you are doing is tricking your own Connectioninto believing that the local area is your "homeland", so you think in one language but your actual speech comes out as the Connected Language. Note - this is different from the Connection Shenanigans Dalinar used (different methods, similar results). 

I wrote it up with the book extracts in this thread.

Likely, Dalinar's method of using Spiritual Adhesion to Connect to the Azish Guardsman does need in-person communication (or at least one person close with whom to Connect).