Secret Project #4 and Spoilers

Chaos

Secret Project #4 is coming out tonight midnight Mountain Time October 1st, and with it, we'll be making a few updates to what's consider a spoiler where. Specifically:

• Frugal Wizard will no longer be considered a new release and will be removed from the Spoiler Area.

For Secret Project 4:

• The Spoiler Zone category will gain a couple of new SP4 forums where all SP4 discussion should go, and will use its title immediately. Much like Tress and Yumi before it, we'll have a No Cosmere Spoilers and Cosmere Spoilers forums, depending on whether you want to discuss just SP4, or any wider cosmere crossovers it might have. Should you have read all the cosmere, we recommend you use the cosmere version of this.
  • Content from the book will need to be spoiler-tagged everywhere else.

Over at the Coppermind, content from the book will be allowed immediately. You can use the Time Machine to lock the wiki to a version/date before this new release if you want to continue browsing it (mostly) safely. A pop-up will appear when we switch over to allow SP4 articles so you are aware.

Experience has shown that the No Cosmere Spoilers section of SP4 is for practical purposes empty. Are we approaching a time where this distinction is no longer sensible?

I'd say yes and would like to propose that SA5 be the last book the distinction ought to be made for.

On 10/4/2023 at 1:24 AM, Oltux72 said:

Experience has shown that the No Cosmere Spoilers section of SP4 is for practical purposes empty. Are we approaching a time where this distinction is no longer sensible?

I'd say yes and would like to propose that SA5 be the last book the distinction ought to be made for.

This is very much an active thing we are discussing, but we decided consistency in a busy year was best. We didn't always do this anyway, either, and is a newer invention trying to incentivize discussion on more than just mechanics.

Of course, forum activity has gone quite down compared to RoW time rather significantly. Discord is incredibly more active now. Both such forums for the Secret Projects I would say are low usage. 

There is a lot we need to figure out on how to deal with cross-series spoilers as things progress. 

On 10/6/2023 at 0:55 AM, Chaos said:

This is very much an active thing we are discussing, but we decided consistency in a busy year was best. We didn't always do this anyway, either, and is a newer invention trying to incentivize discussion on more than just mechanics.

Of course, forum activity has gone quite down compared to RoW time rather significantly. Discord is incredibly more active now. Both such forums for the Secret Projects I would say are low usage. 

There is a lot we need to figure out on how to deal with cross-series spoilers as things progress. 

Well, I would like to note that people like Amira (and her famous reading blog thread) are happy with the non spoiler sections. It seems she hasn't had a chance to read Sunlit Man yet (based on her most recent thread post) - but since she has only read WoK and WoR (now on OB) and the Secret Projects (Tress and Yumi) she has implied in the referenced thread (linked above) that being able to discuss the SPs and avoid all of the spoilers for Scadrial, Nalthis, Sel, etc. has been a welcome option.

I don't know if it should continue for future releases - but for a project like this Kickstarter - where so many people backed it without having "read-all-the-things" I think it was a great decision and has been helpful to people like her.

Thank you on their behalf.

Edit (rather than double-post):

On 9/30/2023 at 7:24 PM, Chaos said:

Frugal Wizard will no longer be considered a new release and will be removed from the Spoiler Area.

I don't know if it matters or not, but the "spoiler" part of the name was not removed when that forum was moved to "Non-Cosmere" - so it's the only title that says "<series> Spoilers."

Edited by Treamayne
Frugal Wizard