What would have happened if Vin didn't kill the Lord Ruler

Tulir

I was just speculating one what would have happened if Rashek took the power again if Vin hadn't killed him. One thing I think he would have done would be to move the planet a little farther back and lighten up on the ash. This would make it seem that he was pleased with everyone and that would be good.

He also probably would have finished what he started with the Keepers, and wiped out all Skaa with Allomantic potential. He wasn't terribly stable anymore, so I don't the fact that there wouldn't be a need for it would not have made a difference.

He also probably would have finished what he started with the Keepers, and wiped out all Skaa with Allomantic potential. He wasn't terribly stable anymore, so I don't the fact that there wouldn't be a need for it would not have made a difference.

We could theorize that when he gets to the Well of Ascension again, his connection with Ruin could be severed for the brief moments he was using the power, get in his right mind again and take precautions to set back Ruin influence.

He doesn't know that the Voice that whispers to him while in the Well is Ruin, or anything bad full stop. Or he wouldn't have listened to it about making Hemalurgical constructs (which is what Ruin wanted in order to have a perfect army when he was released). See: the near-destruction of Scadrial.

Rashek probably couldn't have taken the power again. His atium bracers pierced his skin. In order for him to be able to use the power, he'd have had to take them out (see Vin's earring). He didn't last too long after they were out, and there's a pretty good chance he'd have died mid-use, particularly since he wouldn't have had any goldminds to tap either.

We could theorize that when he gets to the Well of Ascension again, his connection with Ruin could be severed for the brief moments he was using the power, get in his right mind again and take precautions to set back Ruin influence.

Brandon said he was already kind of crazy at the beginning. I don't think Ruin was the only reason he was nuts at the end.

I agree that the power would keep him alive, young etc. It definitely was strong enough.

The question is rather – with so much Ruin's influence (I think he had significantly more spikes than Vin), would he still be able to use the power?

Ruin believes that Rashek could and would use the power again. This is why Ruin worked so hard to kill Rashek at the proper time.

With 1,024 years to brood on his failures, Rashek no doubt would have found solutions to many of the problems he created the first time. And, almost certainly, these solutions would have caused more problems. In any event, he would have maintained some form of society in which a minority is given near-absolute and often cruel dominance over the majority. He is, after all, Rashek, and that's kind of what he does.

-- Deus Ex Botica

he lasted a couple of minutes after Vin pulled out his bracers, and I'd imagine the power would sustain him when he was holding it. Also he could always just hold the bracers, he'd just need to be touching them in order to tap them.

He was probably tapping his goldminds to keep himself alive. Vin couldn't even keep her vials of metal on her, I doubt Rashek could have kept any kind of metal on his person. As to Ruin believing that Rashek would take the power again, quote please? I think Ruin was just figuring that he didn't want to be trapped another thousand years when Rashek failed.

• 2 weeks later...

Rashek would have tried to keep it the same. He thought his sytem was perfect, but was a flawed thought. There was an imablance as long as Ruin was imprisoned. Rashek never realized that he wasn't trully the Hero of Ages, and threfore never realized that his system of taking and holding the power was only temporary- even if an extremely long amount of imte.

Didn't Brandon somewhere say that Nicrosil metalminds could hold Preservation's power? If this is true, then I would imagine that Rashek would hold on to the power longer than a few minutes. He would not have to be so pressed for time to make the appropriate changes to the planet.

Whwre? I don't remember them very well, and they're hard to search.

Also, Saze couldn't probably know what metals TLR had known. When Saze ascended, TLR was (I suppose) dead (really dead) for a long time, so they could't talk with each other.

And I still think he didn't have Chrome and Nicrosil. If he did, I think he would use them “on screen”.

Whwre? I don't remember them very well, and they're hard to search.

Also, Saze couldn't probably know what metals TLR had known. When Saze ascended, TLR was (I suppose) dead (really dead) for a long time, so they could't talk with each other.

And I still think he didn't have Chrome and Nicrosil. If he did, I think he would use them “on screen”.

I forget where this was said, but someone stated that TLR used nicrosil-minds to power his atium-minds. He would sit by the fire in his "Terris-room", store warmth, compound warmth, drain the charge to his nicrosil-minds, then charge up his bracers.

Can anyone confirm this? Or am I delusional?

I forget where this was said, but someone stated that TLR used nicrosil-minds to power his atium-minds. He would sit by the fire in his "Terris-room", store warmth, compound warmth, drain the charge to his nicrosil-minds, then charge up his bracers.

The RPG discusses how Nicrosil-minds can be fed with one Feruchemical characteristic and then be tapped to provide another. It also says that TLR was planning to use them to store the power from the Well.

For reasons that aren't entirely clear to me, people drew the conclusion that TLR was using the fireplace to get Brass-heat that could be converted to Atium.

Here's what the epigraphs say - from http://coppermind.17thshard.com/wiki/The_Hero_of_Ages/Epigraphs

"Yes, there are sixteen metals. I find it highly unlikely that the Lord Ruler did not know of them all. Indeed, the fact that he spoke of several on the plates in the storage caches meant that he knew at least of those. "

I understand the sixteen metals to which Sazed refers be inclusive of Malatium and Atium though, which puts a hitch in it.

I speculated this. It seemed so obvious a hint in retrospect, but it's not something I'm certain about.

• Chaos locked this topic