Contract Loophole (Post SA5 Jasnah Preview)

Crossen

It is now confirmed that there is a continuation of the plot thread on there being a loophole in the battle of champions contract. I think it is likely that the contract loophole is that the battle of champions ends in a TIE. As per the contract there are no stipulations for a tie, thus nullifying the contract:

“Final terms are these: A contest of champions to the death. On the tenth day of the month Palah, tenth hour. We each send a willing champion, allowed to meet at the top of Urithiru, otherwise unharmed by either side’s forces. If I win that contest, you will remain bound to the system—but you will return Alethkar and Herdaz to me, with all of their occupants intact. You will vow to cease hostilities and maintain the peace, not working against my allies or our kingdoms in any way.” “Agreed,” Odium said. “But if I win, I keep everything I’ve won—including your homeland. I still remain bound to this system, and will still cease hostilities as you said above. But I will have your soul. To serve me, immortal. Will you do this? Because I agree to these terms.” “And I,” Dalinar whispered. “I agree to these terms.” “It is done.”

I semi-predicted this a couple of years ago when theorizing about a few of the death rattles. It also makes the Szeth retcon make sense in the context. TLDR: Kaladin or another champion refuses to kill Szeth, resulting in a tie and thus freeing Odium.

On 4/27/2021 at 1:45 PM, Crossen said:

I think that the "child" is really a metaphor for a crying or weeping person and I think that Szeth is this person.

What we know about book 5:

1. It's Szeth's flashback book.

2. Szeth and Kaladin are going to Shinovar.

3. Taravangian's Diagram indicates one or more Unmade has set up in Shinovar.

4. Szeth hears those he killed when he shuts his eyes.

I think that the Unmade in Shinovar is Dai-gonarthis and this Unmade is what is causing Szeth's hallucinations.

Let me no longer hurt! Let me no longer weep! Dai-gonarthis! The Black Fisher holds my sorrow and consumes it!

Szeth and Kaladin may confront this Unmade when they are in Shinovar.

A child is also mentioned in another deathrattle:

A man stood on a cliffside and watched his homeland fall into dust. The waters surged beneath, so far beneath. And he heard a child crying. They were his own tears.

The only three people that I think are strongly tied to their homeland are Dalinar, Szeth and the Stormfather. I think that this does not refer to the Stormfather so I will skip him (even though he does seem like a baby sometimes). Both Alethkar and Shinovar have mountains nearby, but Shinovar does have a lot more of them. Szeth is also more likely to be on top of the mountains since he can fly. Also his birthplace is the Valley of Truth, a place that sounds like it could be prone to a flood.

This would lead me to believe that Szeth is the child in this deathrattle:

I hold the suckling child in my hands, a knife at his throat, and know that all who live wish me to let the blade slip. Spill its blood upon the ground, over my hands, and with it gain us further breath to draw. 

And that they will choose to not kill him.

So the night will reign, for the choice of honor is life...

Also an interesting bit of foreshadowing if this is true:

What I am owed will come to me eventually! Every bit of it. I will drown in it, stonewalker! 

-Szeth to Dalinar

I also think it is funny that the only thing that has been retconned in the books is the taking back that Kaladin killed Szeth in WOR and making it a psuedo-suicide instead. If my theory is correct then the pre-retcon story would not make sense because why would Kaladin be allowed to kill Szeth before in WOR but he cannot now? That question gets eliminated with the retcon.

5 hours ago, Crossen said:

I semi-predicted this a couple of years ago when theorizing about a few of the death rattles. It also makes the Szeth retcon make sense in the context. TLDR: Kaladin or another champion refuses to kill Szeth, resulting in a tie and thus freeing Odium.

Why would Szeth fight FOR Taravangian when he hates him so much? Szeth already chose not to side with Odium so he has no reason to be his champion even if Taravangian would deceive him. While this theory is interesting, and a tie is certainly one strong option that was foreshadowed to us, I can't see Szeth being Odium's champion at all. 

5 hours ago, Crossen said:

A child is also mentioned in another deathrattle:

A man stood on a cliffside and watched his homeland fall into dust. The waters surged beneath, so far beneath. And he heard a child crying. They were his own tears.

I personally think this is about Taravangian - he will win/tie the contest, kill Dalinar or turn him into Fused or whatever, but this will deadeye Stormfather which will cause endless weeping - flooding Kharbranth as a consequence. Taravangian will accidentally destroy Kharbranth which will be considered as a broken oath made between Taravangian and Odium, wounding and exposing him, forcing Odium to withdraw from Rosharan affairs. 

Ah yes that is a very interesting thought. I think Taravangian fits very well within the child metaphor of the deathrattles if he is having one of his emotional days. And he is certainly very associated with his homeland. Has it been confirmed that we still has the smart/emotional days after becoming Odium? I'll look more into this today. Plus we have seen strong foreshadowing with Dalinar imprisoning Taravangian instead of killing him when his betrayal was discovered.

Edited by Crossen

1 hour ago, Crossen said:

Ah yes that is a very interesting thought. I think Taravangian fits very well within the child metaphor of the deathrattles if he is having one of his emotional days. And he is certainly very associated with his homeland. Has it been confirmed that we still has the smart/emotional days after becoming Odium?

No, it was RAFO. I think it's unlikely that his boon and curse is still working while he's Odium - he's too invested and his soul is too changed for something this small to be still working. But this isn't needed. Death Rattles aren't literal - this one can simply mean that the destruction of Kharbranth, and death of all of his family members, will emotionally devastate him, to the point when he could cry like a baby.

On 9/13/2023 at 5:43 AM, alder24 said:

Why would Szeth fight FOR Taravangian when he hates him so much? Szeth already chose not to side with Odium so he has no reason to be his champion even if Taravangian would deceive him. While this theory is interesting, and a tie is certainly one strong option that was foreshadowed to us, I can't see Szeth being Odium's champion at all. 

I personally think this is about Taravangian - he will win/tie the contest, kill Dalinar or turn him into Fused or whatever, but this will deadeye Stormfather which will cause endless weeping - flooding Kharbranth as a consequence. Taravangian will accidentally destroy Kharbranth which will be considered as a broken oath made between Taravangian and Odium, wounding and exposing him, forcing Odium to withdraw from Rosharan affairs. 

Todium   Has made it He doesn't want to win the contest .