Spren- which shard they are related to.

valkynphyre

Ok, so what I am about to say isn't really related to the subject, but I have no idea where else to put it. In the Interludes(I think thats what they are called), we are introduced to a spren researcher who appears to be immortal because he said his work would take only a couple more centuries, and to two ardents that were researching spren attributes and discovered that the spren change to match a measurement, and I was wondering, do we know how they relate to the book?

Two points: We don't know that the Spren researcher is immortal. We do know, though, that he isn't human, so he could well just have a very long lifespan.

As for how the interludes relate to the book, they don't. They do relate, however, to the overarching world-building and larger plot developments, as per word of Brandon.

As for the spren, many of them seem to just be part of the ambient magic on Roshar, as has been mentioned before. However, two types of spren we've seen thus far - honorspren and the as-of-yet unnamed "symbolheads" (if they really are spren) - are different from the others; they are sentient, capable of communication, and are directly involved with two types of magic on Roshar: Surgebinding and Soulcasting, respectively. If any spren is a good candidate for being related to a shard, it's those two, not the more common varieties like rainspren or gloryspren.

Wasn't Soulcasting a subset magic system of Surgebinding? (Binding the Surge of Transformation, like how Windrunners Bind the Surges of Gravity and Pressure)

I just meant this book. I suspect that some of the other interludes will be important/meaningful as well, long term.

From what I've gathered ... meaningful, yes; important, no.

Brandon's said that, to avoid the exponential growth of viewpoint characters that has happened in Wheel of Time, he wrote the Interludes as a way to take "sneak peeks" at other parts of the world, without committing himself to explore deeply in any of those directions. It was implied that most of the Interlude characters other than Szeth (and Taravangian) won't really get explored much more in the course of the main plot.

That said, of course they'll have an influence. Brandon hinted that the discovery the old couple of Ardents makes about measuring the spren (*cough quantum physics references cough*) will end up having a huge impact on the technology that fabrial engineers will be able to invent in the near future. But that doesn't mean we'll ever hear about those two again.

I don't think we'll ever see Ishikk again (the Purelake dude), except maybe as a cameo. I think that interlude is probably mostly just to give us clues about the wider storyline of the worldhoppers and the Seventeenth Shard hunting Hoid. (After all, this interlude has already gotten almost the most attention in the book, just on that basis!)

I bet we'll see more of Nan Ballat when we learn more about Shallan and resolve her family situation in some way, but I don't think he'll ever become a major character. This interlude is mostly to give us insight about Shallan's backstory.

I don't think we'll ever see Rysn and Vstim (the Shinovar-journey merchants) again, except maybe as a cameo. This interlude is mostly to give us hints about Szeth's backstory.

I kind of doubt we'll see Axies the Spren scholar Aimian again, except maybe as a cameo. This interlude was probably mostly just to get us thinking about spren and what they really are.

I doubt we'll see much more of Baxil, Av, and their mistress (the art-destroying burglars) ... this interlude was probably mostly to get us thinking about the Nightwatcher. Although this one is more of a puzzle than most. Why the heck are they smashing art? OK, maybe this one will tie into a future sub-plot more than most.

As a side note, it's kind of weird that none of the interludes give us any views of the parshmen or Parshendi. I suspect they will in future books, now that we've gotten a few key hints about the parshmen that were intended as major plot twists.

there's a theory that Baxil's mistress is actually the Herald Shalash and is destroying art that depicts her, this is due to the statue of Shalash that was missing from Galivar's religious art display in the prolouge and a death-speaking epigraph about a woman vandal scratching out her own eyes. So we might see her again if not Baxil and his friend.

Edited by CrazyRioter

And I've got a pet theory that Rysn (is he they guy?) is actually a Herald too. But that's more gut than fact. He just seems really culturally advanced for a Alethi, and seems more worried than he should be about people popping up and surprising him...

I was thinking primarily of Baxil's mistress and some of the Worldbuilding might be important. Also, there may be hints we can't catch yet because we don't know enough. In general, though I agree that we won't see most of the folks pop up as main characters.

Hmm.. I always thought the spren had something to do with the Spiritual Realm? I kind of saw them as the spiritual manifestations of things in the world. As to why they're only on Roshar... i kind of thought it was had to do with one of the Shards, most likely Cultivation. Hm..

Hmm.. I always thought the spren had something to do with the Spiritual Realm? I kind of saw them as the spiritual manifestations of things in the world. As to why they're only on Roshar... i kind of thought it was had to do with one of the Shards, most likely Cultivation. Hm..

IIRC recently at the signing Brandon implied that the spren and the Seons were similar in nature. He also implied in a different Q&A that the seons are the slivers (or caused by the slivers) of the shattered Shards. Therefore I'm going to guess that they are caused by Honor in some fashion, with the nahel bonding spren the actual slivers.

seons are the slivers (or caused by the slivers)

Err... I think you mean Splinter. A Sliver is a human who has held a major power of a Shard, such as TLR, Kelsier (after Sazed comes to power), and Vin (after Ascension but before becoming Preservation). That's why TLR was called the Sliver of Infinity.

A Sliver is a piece of a Shard that is non-human that a Shard seems to give, though they may be natural upon death. The only confirmed Splinter is the uber-breath that Returned have. We know that Seons didn't exist till after the Splintering, and so, because of the verb used, people think that Seons are Splinters. This is what Brandon had to say about Seons:

Are Seons splinter of Aona?

He said that that line of theorising is very close and that we are figuring it out.

So if Seons, sentient glowing spheres of magical make, are Splinters, than it makes sense that Spren, (or at least Nahel-bond spren that help make people have the powers of the Knight Radiants, like Syl and the Symbol-Spren that Shallan sees) are Splinters too.

There is a quote out there that talks about Seons and Spren, but it's recent, and so not on the Brandonothology yet.

EDIT- That's what I get for trying to correct someone. *Sigh* Changed "Splinter of Infinity" to "Sliver of infinity", which makes a lot more sense.

Err... I think you mean Splinter. A Sliver is a human who has held a major power of a Shard, such as TLR, Kelsier (after Sazed comes to power), and Vin (after Ascension but before becoming Preservation). That's why TLR was called the Sliver of Infinity.

A Sliver is a piece of a Shard that is non-human that a Shard seems to give, though they may be natural upon death. The only confirmed Splinter is the uber-breath that Returned have. We know that Seons didn't exist till after the Splintering, and so, because of the verb used, people think that Seons are Splinters. This is what Brandon had to say about Seons:

[/left]

So if Seons, sentient glowing spheres of magical make, are Splinters, than it makes sense that Spren, (or at least Nahel-bond spren that help make people have the powers of the Knight Radiants, like Syl and the Symbol-Spren that Shallan sees) are Splinters too.

There is a quote out there that talks about Seons and Spren, but it's recent, and so not on the Brandonothology yet.

EDIT- That's what I get for trying to correct someone. *Sigh* Changed "Splinter of Infinity" to "Sliver of infinity", which makes a lot more sense.

[/color][/size][/font]

Yes, that is exactly what i meant. LOL. That's what i get for posting at the end of a long day of work. Thanks zas.

Can someone tell me where exactly Brandon Sanderson said that the third Shard was Cultivation? Because when I was reading the book, I thought for sure the spren were from a Shard with a name like Change, or Adaption.

“I cannot see the future completely. Cultivation, she is better at it than I. It’s as if the future is a shattering window. The further you look, the more pieces that window breaks into. The near future can be anticipated, but the distant future… I can only guess.”

chapter 75

dont have page number cause ebook, still planning on getting a hard copy one of these days.

Ok, thanks. That just completely destroyed my theory for that, so might as well through out another that might fit here: Only windspren and some other spren(I don't remember exactly but I believe that Kaladin said only a couple types of spren that do this) and only the big ones, played tricks on people by making stuff stick together. This is what Syl said that she helped Kaladin do. So thats my idea.

• Chaos locked this topic