Alethi Standard Script font

idanstark42

Hello

After looking around the Internet and not finding the Alethi Standard Phenome Script in font form, I decided to create a quick one myself.

I would love to hear what you think, and if there already exists one that I couldn't find, please tell me!
I used Nazh's notes and the description in the coppermind to create this

Welcome to the forums. Please be careful to not double-post (I have already reported the second identical thread), but here are some tools that may help:

Spoiler

At the bottom left of a post you will see a "+" icon, a "Quote" link, and (your posts only) and Edit and Options tools. On the bottom right you will see an up arrow.

• The Up Arrow is how you thank people or "like" a post
  • The "Quote" link is exactly that, when you click it the quote will be added to the reply at the bottom of the thread wherever the cursor is
    • So, if you have already started to reply before you decide to quote you can then add the quote before or after your text depending on the cursor location when you click "Quote"
  • The + icon is multi-quote. As you read a thread, if you want to quote multiple items you click that for each post
    • As you click +, you should see a toaster pop-up on the bottom right of the browser window showing how many quotes you will have
    • They are added in the order you click the + icon, not in the original post order, so you can set the order of quotes for your reply
    • When you are ready to reply, click on the toaster pop-up and it will take you directly to the reply section and add the quotes automatically
  • Finally, you can also highlight a small section of a post and, when hovering over the highlit portion, click the "Quote" button that pops up.
  • Also note that you can move quotes after they have been added to your reply.
    • For example, you add a quote and realize there are no empty lines below it for you to type - so you can hit "enter" before the quote to make an empty line then when you hover over a quote you will see a 4-way arrow at the top-left that you can use to drag the quote up (or down)  and move the quote to before the empty line. . .
  • Use the Edit link to make changes to a completed post or add information to your post if it is the most recent (to avoid double posting)
    • Quote buttons will still send a quote to "Reply" if you have a post open for edit, but it is easy to cut/paste the quote to the Edit box
    • Editing the first post in a thread allows the thread-creator to edit the thread title.
    • Editing allows you to add a reason for the edit (Spelling and grammar (SPAG), formatting, clarification, new information, etc.), but it is not required.
  • Next to Edit you will also find an "options" dropbox, you can use this to hide your post if you want to remove it after posting
  • At the top of a post you will find "Report Post"
    • Use this if you do accidentally double-post (sometimes it's the browser or a slow link that causes a double post) - just leave a message that it was an accidental double post and the Mods can fix it. If it was the first post of a new thread that doubled, they usually can merge the threads if they both have answers, so all of the content is retained.

Hope that helps.

22 minutes ago, idanstark42 said:

Hello

After looking around the Internet and not finding the Alethi Standard Phenome Script in font form, I decided to create a quick one myself.

I would love to hear what you think, and if there already exists one that I couldn't find, please tell me!
I used Nazh's notes and the description in the coppermind to create this

Do you mean women's script? Because you linked Glyphs, and those are not "written" as a script. You may want  to check out this thread (long, but a good read if you like scripts and fonts) for more info on how those were "discovered."

The relevent portion is here and here: (WoI)

Spoiler

Argent

• In analyzing the glyphs we've seen in the books, we've noticed that some of their "components" resemble the Thaylen symbols for consonants. The Thaylen don't have letters for vowels though - does that mean that glyphs also disregard vowels 100% of the time, or do vowels affect the way a glyph is written? For example, would "viv" and "vev" look exactly the same, or would there be some differences?
    • If vowels do affect the glyphs, do they affect them by somehow changing the consonant lines?
  • Our best theory for deciphering new glyphs is that the glyph "letters" actually correspond to two English letters - so writing "vev" is more akin to writing <ve> followed by <v_> (or perhaps <_v> followed by <ev>). How much of this is in the right direction?

Isaac Stewart

Good questions! The vowels don't affect the glyphs any more than the consonants do. I'm going to RAFO about the glyphs relationship with Thaylen. You're on the right track, however, on half of the word being written and then mirrored. That said, please remember that glyphs aren't meant to be read or even deciphered. They're learned in the same way that we can look at dozens of stylized pictures of cats and still be able to tell that it's a cat.

Argent

So, you've said that glyphs are not meant to be read several times, and I know that, but I think I've been misunderstanding you. I've been assuming they are just too complex and decorated - like an extravagant font. Are you saying they are not a hard writing system instead?

There are obviously some rules to how the glyphs are designed, but does your reply mean that there is always a little bit of "I'll do what looks cool"? Kind of like how the band Koяn decided to flip the "R" - it's still recognizable enough, but there's no rule that says when you can and can't do that?

Isaac Stewart

Let's see if I can explain further. Glyphs are recognized rather than read. If you learn the letters in an alphabet and you come upon an unfamiliar word, you can be reasonably certain you'll know how to pronounce it if you're already fluent in the language. You can at least read it, and you might know from context what it means. Glyphs are different in that if you come upon an unfamiliar glyph you might be able to guess what it means by its shape, but until someone tells you "that glyph means 'soup'" then you're still guessing.

The calligrapher's guild has rules they follow in creating glyphs, and there's a lot of artistic license, like the flipped R in Koяn, for the very reason that the guild isn't expecting people to read the glyphs. Those in the guild--and some scholars who are interested in how glyphs morph over time--might be able to decipher some of the glyphs for academic purposes.

How's that? Any clearer?

So while Glyphs originally developed from Phonemes, they have evolved beyond that to a character driven "script" (similar to Chinese) and don't really use an alphabet anymore.

Edited by Treamayne
SPAG

8 hours ago, Treamayne said:

Welcome to the forums. Please be careful to not double-post (I have already reported the second identical thread), but here are some tools that may help:

Reveal hidden contents

At the bottom left of a post you will see a "+" icon, a "Quote" link, and (your posts only) and Edit and Options tools. On the bottom right you will see an up arrow.

• The Up Arrow is how you thank people or "like" a post
  • The "Quote" link is exactly that, when you click it the quote will be added to the reply at the bottom of the thread wherever the cursor is
    • So, if you have already started to reply before you decide to quote you can then add the quote before or after your text depending on the cursor location when you click "Quote"
  • The + icon is multi-quote. As you read a thread, if you want to quote multiple items you click that for each post
    • As you click +, you should see a toaster pop-up on the bottom right of the browser window showing how many quotes you will have
    • They are added in the order you click the + icon, not in the original post order, so you can set the order of quotes for your reply
    • When you are ready to reply, click on the toaster pop-up and it will take you directly to the reply section and add the quotes automatically
  • Finally, you can also highlight a small section of a post and, when hovering over the highlit portion, click the "Quote" button that pops up.
  • Also note that you can move quotes after they have been added to your reply.
    • For example, you add a quote and realize there are no empty lines below it for you to type - so you can hit "enter" before the quote to make an empty line then when you hover over a quote you will see a 4-way arrow at the top-left that you can use to drag the quote up (or down)  and move the quote to before the empty line. . .
  • Use the Edit link to make changes to a completed post or add information to your post if it is the most recent (to avoid double posting)
    • Quote buttons will still send a quote to "Reply" if you have a post open for edit, but it is easy to cut/paste the quote to the Edit box
    • Editing the first post in a thread allows the thread-creator to edit the thread title.
    • Editing allows you to add a reason for the edit (Spelling and grammar (SPAG), formatting, clarification, new information, etc.), but it is not required.
  • Next to Edit you will also find an "options" dropbox, you can use this to hide your post if you want to remove it after posting
  • At the top of a post you will find "Report Post"
    • Use this if you do accidentally double-post (sometimes it's the browser or a slow link that causes a double post) - just leave a message that it was an accidental double post and the Mods can fix it. If it was the first post of a new thread that doubled, they usually can merge the threads if they both have answers, so all of the content is retained.

Hope that helps.

Do you mean women's script? Because you linked Glyphs, and those are not "written" as a script. You may want  to check out this thread (long, but a good read if you like scripts and fonts) for more info on how those were "discovered."

The relevent portion is here and here: (WoI)

Reveal hidden contents

Argent

• In analyzing the glyphs we've seen in the books, we've noticed that some of their "components" resemble the Thaylen symbols for consonants. The Thaylen don't have letters for vowels though - does that mean that glyphs also disregard vowels 100% of the time, or do vowels affect the way a glyph is written? For example, would "viv" and "vev" look exactly the same, or would there be some differences?
    • If vowels do affect the glyphs, do they affect them by somehow changing the consonant lines?
  • Our best theory for deciphering new glyphs is that the glyph "letters" actually correspond to two English letters - so writing "vev" is more akin to writing <ve> followed by <v_> (or perhaps <_v> followed by <ev>). How much of this is in the right direction?

Isaac Stewart

Good questions! The vowels don't affect the glyphs any more than the consonants do. I'm going to RAFO about the glyphs relationship with Thaylen. You're on the right track, however, on half of the word being written and then mirrored. That said, please remember that glyphs aren't meant to be read or even deciphered. They're learned in the same way that we can look at dozens of stylized pictures of cats and still be able to tell that it's a cat.

Argent

So, you've said that glyphs are not meant to be read several times, and I know that, but I think I've been misunderstanding you. I've been assuming they are just too complex and decorated - like an extravagant font. Are you saying they are not a hard writing system instead?

There are obviously some rules to how the glyphs are designed, but does your reply mean that there is always a little bit of "I'll do what looks cool"? Kind of like how the band Koяn decided to flip the "R" - it's still recognizable enough, but there's no rule that says when you can and can't do that?

Isaac Stewart

Let's see if I can explain further. Glyphs are recognized rather than read. If you learn the letters in an alphabet and you come upon an unfamiliar word, you can be reasonably certain you'll know how to pronounce it if you're already fluent in the language. You can at least read it, and you might know from context what it means. Glyphs are different in that if you come upon an unfamiliar glyph you might be able to guess what it means by its shape, but until someone tells you "that glyph means 'soup'" then you're still guessing.

The calligrapher's guild has rules they follow in creating glyphs, and there's a lot of artistic license, like the flipped R in Koяn, for the very reason that the guild isn't expecting people to read the glyphs. Those in the guild--and some scholars who are interested in how glyphs morph over time--might be able to decipher some of the glyphs for academic purposes.

How's that? Any clearer?

So while Glyphs originally developed from Phonemes, they have evolved beyond that to a character driven "script" (similar to Chinese) and don't really use an alphabet anymore.

Hi

Thank you very much for you notes.

Past correct me if I'm wrong again. I wanted a font that contained the original letters from which the Alethi modern glyphs have developed. According to the letter written by Nazh, and quoted in the article I linked to, these are the original from which the glyphs have developed. They represent historically somewhere between the modern glyphs and the original Dawnchant. Obviously I can't write modern glyphs with those, but I needed single letters for a fanfic I'm writing, and that was the best I could find.

1 hour ago, idanstark42 said:

Hi

Thank you very much for you notes.

Past correct me if I'm wrong again. I wanted a font that contained the original letters from which the Alethi modern glyphs have developed. According to the letter written by Nazh, and quoted in the article I linked to, these are the original from which the glyphs have developed. They represent historically somewhere between the modern glyphs and the original Dawnchant. Obviously I can't write modern glyphs with those, but I needed single letters for a fanfic I'm writing, and that was the best I could find.

Is your fanfic trying to occur pre-recreance? It has been a long time since anything resembling typable phonemes were part of the alethi glyph system (if ever). Mostly Isaac's language page from Othbringer was the result of that thread I linked in the last post (we kept asking him questions - so they added Nazh's page to Oathbringer address most of the concerns in that thread).  You may be able to change a Korean font (which already uses syllabic structure and therefore a more complex non-linear structure) to use glyph phonemes. 

2 hours ago, Treamayne said:

Is your fanfic trying to occur pre-recreance? It has been a long time since anything resembling typable phonemes were part of the alethi glyph system (if ever). Mostly Isaac's language page from Othbringer was the result of that thread I linked in the last post (we kept asking him questions - so they added Nazh's page to Oathbringer address most of the concerns in that thread).  You may be able to change a Korean font (which already uses syllabic structure and therefore a more complex non-linear structure) to use glyph phonemes. 

Those are cool ideas.

My fanfic is actually a scientific article, written in the university of Silverlight. I study physics, and I wanted to try and create a comprehensive work on the nature of Investiture using rigorous mathematical principles. This is actually a lot of fun. Plus a good excercise in building theories.

I needed the script to add single character notations of concepts from the cosmere to the equations. Namely Investiture and Intent, Spiritweb, Identity and Connection.

To be honest, I didn't really think yet of a timeframe... I am using a lot of knowledge that the community has, but I'm not sure characters in world would have it... I need to think about this. I would love to hear your thoughts.

Edited by idanstark42

1 hour ago, idanstark42 said:

To be honest, I didn't really think yet of a timeframe... I am using a lot of knowledge that the community has, but I'm not sure characters in world would have it... I need to think about this. I would love to hear your thoughts

I'll think about it and update late - but my first thought is that Nalthis and Taldain were the primary foundations of Silverlight, with Scadrial coming along later. Roshar has not had much impact on Silverlight (as far as we know) other than as an object of study. If you were looking for special characters to use in notations, I would suggest finding a script from one of the other sources (such as Steel Alphabet - which already has single characters for those concepts - the Feruchemy version of their metals).

Example:

Spoiler

Nicrosil = F_Nicrosil.jpg.a66012e0e630a0455eee5df6c792097b.jpg = Investiture

Edited by Treamayne