Incomrehensive Investiture Innuendo

Satsuoni

Ok this is stupid, probably many times reiiterated theory about Investiture on Scadrial (mainly, and IMO), spared by my debate with Kurkistan here:.

It will currently be lacking in quotes and spaces, but I'll try to fix it later.

What follows is manly my opinion (so I won't have to add IMO after every sentence).

Investiture is actually just that, the power of the Shard invested in a person or object. There are two qualities of Investiture with two types in each. The first one is ..let us call it Activity. The Investiture can be active (Allomancy) or Passive (weight). All object in the world have at least some passive Investiture which defines their presence in 3 realms. Active investiture is limited to sentient being (human) or artificial construct (Shardblade).

Next quality is Limitation. The Investiture can be Limited by some pool (Feruchemy, Well of Ascension), or constantly cycling through an object (All passive investitures, possibly Hemalurgy).

So all Feruchemical attributes are in fact a kind of Investiture being stored in metal, transforming them from Ongoing to Limited by temporarily shunting part of incoming power into metal. Each metal can accept only one type of filtered shards power, and accepting it changes the metal nature. Once all of the metal is rewritten, the metalmind is full.

Burning metals is utilizing your connection to Preservation to access some of its power filtered through metal. It destroys the filter in the process, and grants you specific ability. If the filter happened to have been changed by feruchemy, you gain the Feruchemic attribute instead. So that a half-filled metalmind will give you both Feruchemic and Allomantic powers, but for half a time each. Since power is tapped from unlimited instead of limited well, you gain more than you have put in, but you cannot control the output rate well (only burn to flare). Also, the influx of power does to the filter the same thing mists did to Vin's body.

Next: human souls. Also, Hemalurgy. Human soul is an Investiture, too (Passive, Ongoing). Hemalurgy transfers parts of it to another person, by redirecting the flow of power . Additional power to your connection to preservation may give you additional abilities, etc.

Now for the last part: Nicrosil theory.

Nicrosil is a metal that stores raw Investiture, raw power of the Shard. This power, when drawn, follows the easiest part. If you happen to be a Feruchemist drawing an attribute with Investiture, it will add to the attribute. If you happen to be burning a metal, it will add to the flow of power from that metal. If you have a Human Sthrenght spike, you will get stronger. If you are not burning or drawing, but still tap Investiture, it will add to your soul. A little. It will make you temporarily a stronger Allomancer if you were one to begin with. If you draw really a LOT of investiture, it will work as Lerasium, and make you a Mistborn... until it runs out. Although this particular effect should take inordinate amount of investiture, so that even Twinborn Compounders won't be able to utilize it for more that a few seconds at a time. Draw even more - and your body starts breaking down from strain of raw shardic power, but you will be able to access powers of all metals, like Vin.

Ok, so that is my take on Investiture (rough draft). Enjoy.

Makes me wonder if the next Mistborn trilogy will really feature a nicrosil misting as we've been told, or a nicrosil twinborn who could compound it.

I don't think you need Investiture to exist in any of the realms. So I disagree with your idea of a Passive investiture. After all, there are worlds in the cosmere without shards on them. (I can't remember which Q&A had that.) I agree that Shards invest some of themselves in the humanity living on the worlds with them, which allows the people to access the magic system, if the people then meet the correct conditions for usage. (Breaths, Spirtual DNA, Nahel Bond) The slightly unequal battle between Preservation and Ruin was all because Preservation had put a bit more of himself (his shard) into humanity than Ruin did. I suppose I could call that passive investiture, since not all of humanity was using that bit of Shard to perform allomancy.

Edited by Cheese Ninja

Makes me wonder if the next Mistborn trilogy will really feature a nicrosil misting as we've been told, or a nicrosil twinborn who could compound it.

I don't think you need Investiture to exist in any of the realms. So I disagree with your idea of a Passive investiture. After all, there are worlds in the cosmere without shards on them. (I can't remember which Q&A had that.) I agree that Shards invest some of themselves in the humanity living on the worlds with them, which allows the people to access the magic system, if the people then meet the correct conditions for usage. (Breaths, Spirtual DNA, Nahel Bond) The slightly unequal battle between Preservation and Ruin was all because Preservation had put a bit more of himself (his shard) into humanity than Ruin did. I suppose I could call that passive investiture, since not all of humanity was using that bit of Shard to perform allomancy.

Yes, there are. The world of Scadrial, however, was made by Ruin and Preservation, so I kind of assumed that it is made of them, in a way. Additional bit of shard in a human souls gives them sentience AND access to magic systems: (HoA):

In that case, the spike instead steals the very power of Preservation existing within the soul of the people. (The power that, in fact, gives all people sentience.)

Also, gravity surge on Roshar was referred to as "spiritual link between objects", so it is possible that interaction is at least facilitated by the shards existence. Essentially, what I am trying to say, is 1. There are parts of shard in humans that are passive but useable. 2. Shards can create mass/energy and absorb/store mass/energy, so the mass/wight of Feruchemist is stored as Shardic energy while in metalmind.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Anybody have the link to the conversation where somebody asks about using allomancy on Shardblades?

BS says it's because they have too much "Investure". What if Investure is also what keeps you from pushing on metals in the body? Sounds somewhat plausible to me. (I made a post about it here.)

Thank you very much.

Quote's here:

Does Szeth have metal on him? Szeth's Shardblade would be mostly immune to Pushing and Pulling, as it's an Invested object. But he'd still have trouble getting to them if he had a clasp on his shoes, for example. He doesn't carry a lot of metal, but he might have some.

Bold is mine.

• Chaos locked this topic