Dumbledore vs. Gandalf

Voidus

Well to also be fair here, by naming him Gandalf not his true name we've potentially trapped him as the idea of who Gandalf is, not his other aspects. Just like measuring fire spren traps them in that specific measurement, were talking about the scope of who Gandalf is which is limited by the capabilities of what a human could do.

Dumbledore on the other hand is quite comfortable with how much punishment a mortal body can dish out a take.

But of those three options none of them truly return him back to life, and as far as we can tell, wouldn't even let him keep his powers.

When Gandalf resurects, he gets a huge level up.

Resurrection stone would, being a ghost or inferi would, but as a ghost he could still stick around and dole out advice, plus then he'd be completely immortal so if it was a duel situation it's just be an infinite standoff since he could neither attack or die :P

• 3 months later...

I should preface this by mentioning that all our computers at home have been named after LotR characters.  My husband's is Gandalf, but we've also had a Radagast (laptop) and a Galadriel (my desktop).  Obviously, my loyalties lie with LotR and thus, Gandalf, but not without merit!

Well to also be fair here, by naming him Gandalf not his true name we've potentially trapped him as the idea of who Gandalf is, not his other aspects. Just like measuring fire spren traps them in that specific measurement, were talking about the scope of who Gandalf is which is limited by the capabilities of what a human could do.

Dumbledore on the other hand is quite comfortable with how much punishment a mortal body can dish out a take.

You can't take the Maia out of him even when he's in the form of a man.  I'm sorry, you just can't.  The dude goes by many names, but the name does not make him.  If anything, he makes the name (see: going from Gandalf the Grey to Gandalf the White).

Resurrection stone would, being a ghost or inferi would, but as a ghost he could still stick around and dole out advice, plus then he'd be completely immortal so if it was a duel situation it's just be an infinite standoff since he could neither attack or die :P

The fact that Dumbledore needs something to resurrect, manifest, etc. is a point in Gandalf's favor.  Gandalf doesn't need anything like that to resurrect.  It can just happen, albeit at the instruction of a higher power.  Besides, how would a ghost do serious damage to someone in a physical body?

All that a side, I have to agree with Erai that if they're put in an AU situation where Gandalf wasn't concerned with sticking to rules of his calling, Dumbledore would have no chance, even with all his experience and the Elder Wand at his disposal.   Gandalf has experience, too, but also greater power behind him.

I'm remembering Dumbledore's hand after trying to deal with the one Horcrux.  That was just the curse of another wizard, albeit powerful and evil, but it crippled him.  Gandalf, on the other hand (ha ha), dealt with the Balrog, and though they both perished, he was victorious and got a level up, as LeftVash mentioned.