"Good" Odium Spren

Fallen Rope

Basically my idea is that there maybe some odium spren that are not evil, just like highspren are of honor but are not always good.

There could be a type odium spren that hate those who do wrong, a "vengeance spren". It the right situation this could course good, just as a Skybreaker could do something bad by following the law.

There could be a good Voidbinder (I'm not sure if voidbinding means Voidbringer) in a future book. Both Mistborn and Elantris had a good guy using "bad" magic, Marsh and Hrathen, so it is likely a good Voidbinder could appear in The Stormlight Archive.

Good point.. but even though the Spren has a strong influence on a person- I still believe the person him/herself can overcome the influence much like Marsh with -Hemarugly*.. This can be the same with the Parshman- perhaps a trully pure soul with be changed and will overcome the spren influence.

Mmm... but the rep could have been eventually corrupted. I mean, we're talking about the corrupting power of a being that is almost a god.

Hopefully, some will resist the corruption. That would make an interesting story to tell.

Unless all you need to do to decorrupt is attune Peace and let the screaming drown out the emotions and thoughts the spren is putting in your head.

The Mateform rep, I bet, could have managed Stormform without being corrupted. Pity about him dying and all, but it shows that it's possible, and some of the more animated parshmen may be able to resist as well.

Wasn't he part of the great escape?

So we don't know if he is dead.

As interesting as that would be, I doubt it. Odium isn´t the "i want to get rid of this"- hatred that can be used as a drive for good. Instead, it´s the "I want to see all of you suffer" kind of hatred. Just look at the climps of Braize we get for proof.

Furthermore, the Odium Spren have one purpose and that is creating Voidbringer, which in turn exsist to cause a Desolation. There ought to be a reason why there are no mentions of good Voidbringers, honestly, the only way a Parshendi turned Voidbringer might turn good is some alteration of the Nahel-bond allowing them to become Radiants, which admidetly was hinted at. Otherwise the best I would hope for is some momentary struggle ala Marsh.

As interesting as that would be, I doubt it. Odium isn´t the "i want to get rid of this"- hatred that can be used as a drive for good. Instead, it´s the "I want to see all of you suffer" kind of hatred. Just look at the climps of Braize we get for proof.

Furthermore, the Odium Spren have one purpose and that is creating Voidbringer, which in turn exsist to cause a Desolation. There ought to be a reason why there are no mentions of good Voidbringers, honestly, the only way a Parshendi turned Voidbringer might turn good is some alteration of the Nahel-bond allowing them to become Radiants, which admidetly was hinted at. Otherwise the best I would hope for is some momentary struggle ala Marsh.

Yeah I doubt that we'll see another case of them turning against their Shard, it's already been done and I just don't see it as likely, they tried to avoid bringing back the old forms and have already failed. I doubt we'll see anything like what happened with the Kandra either.

It might be possible though that the escapees could break Odium's hold over their fellow people using the capture spren technique. Simply restrain them in a highstorm and attach the spren gem to their bodies. Bonus points if they give them the mate form.

It might be possible though that the escapees could break Odium's hold over their fellow people using the capture spren technique. Simply restrain them in a highstorm and attach the spren gem to their bodies. Bonus points if they give them the mate form.

That's pretty despicable, actually. Like, disgustingly so.

That's pretty despicable, actually. Like, disgustingly so.

Well Mateform seems the most opposite of the forms from Stormform that's currently available. They seem a bit like children in a lot of cases, very innocent. I'm guessing it uses Life spren as the foundation. They'd be the least likely to go back to Odium.

Seems simple to me, capture a life spren, duct tape it or the roshar equivalent to the stormform parshendi, chain outside right before the highstorm hits and hope for the best.

Stormform should be able to survive the storm wall anyways.

Edited by Darkarma

• 2 weeks later...

I think every shard is not good or bad, there's a WoB somewhere. Odium is Hatred in any form. Just like Honor is honor in any form, even Sezth's. Odium being evil is a mix of something going to an extreme and that Rayse is bad. But since odium is investing as little as possible he's likely only making spren that agree with him. But what would happen if there was an honor/odium spren.

• 2 weeks later...

The topic Intent Meshing:the creation of magic sytems ( sorry I cant copy and paste for some reason and its buggin the rust out of me) has things on it that might be relevant, their is a WoB that's quoted their that says that some Spren are of Honor some of Cultivation some of Odium and some that are a mixture. We have never gotten confirmation that all Spren that make a KR are purely of Honor or Cultivation, so its possible that 1 or more of the Orders has a Spren bond that is partially of Odium, and I would consider any Spren that helps a KR as good.

The topic Intent Meshing:the creation of magic sytems ( sorry I cant copy and paste for some reason and its buggin the rust out of me) has things on it that might be relevant, their is a WoB that's quoted their that says that some Spren are of Honor some of Cultivation some of Odium and some that are a mixture. We have never gotten confirmation that all Spren that make a KR are purely of Honor or Cultivation, so its possible that 1 or more of the Orders has a Spren bond that is partially of Odium, and I would consider any Spren that helps a KR as good.

Actually what is going on is that there are spren of Honor, spren of Cultivation, spren that are a combination of the two, and then there are spren of Odium.  Odium is not part of the "mixed investiture spren".  (And there are also spren of Adonalsium but that's beside the point).

The quote you mention says there are "spren of all three Shards" meaning each Shard has spren produced from its Investiture, not that there are spren with Investiture from all three Shards.  (At least that is how it reads to me, and it is what fits from the spren knowledge I have.)

Actually what is going on is that there are spren of Honor, spren of Cultivation, spren that are a combination of the two, and then there are spren of Odium.  Odium is not part of the "mixed investiture spren".  (And there are also spren of Adonalsium but that's beside the point).

The quote you mention says there are "spren of all three Shards" meaning each Shard has spren produced from its Investiture, not that there are spren with Investiture from all three Shards.  (At least that is how it reads to me, and it is what fits from the spren knowledge I have.)

If Honor and Cultivation's Investiture can mix to create spren, then it doesn't seem implausible that Odium's can mix as well. We don't have direct confirmation that such exists, but Honor and Odium are not opposites like Ruin and Preservation, so it should be possible in theory. I've always been partial to the theory that the Nightwatcher is a mix of Odium and Cultivation, hence the need to curse while blessing.

Edited by Moogle

Hrrm. Some good points here by many people.

Is it not resolved that the KR Surges are entirely Honor / Cultivation mixtures?

Certainly some KR Surges are similar to Voidbringer. According to WOR, were not Dustbringers similar in effect to Voidbringers such that people would certainly confuse them?

To me this means, more than anything, circumstantial confirmation that KR Surges may be *similar* in some aspects to Voidbringer surges, but spren alone are not it.

My opinion would be that Odium Spren do not really mix with *anything*, though cultivation spren *may* be the easiest for them to blend with *if* there were to be such a thing. What I wonder is how much direct control Odium has over his.

• Chaos locked this topic