Virtuosity splintered herself with a Dawnshard?

So this is leaping off of what someone said speculating the father machine maybe required a Dawnshard.

So is there any reason for a Dawnshard to be present? If Virtuosity splintered herself with a Dawnshard, and as part of that there were 16 large pieces (that became the 16 potential yoko-hijo), then Virtuosity would have made a performance of a mini-Shattering of Adonalsium. A virtuoso performance?

The sleepless we see could have came there to investigate rumours of a Dawnshard being present.

This satisfies meta-reasons too by Brandon giving more info about the locations/uses of the Dawnshards

I hate the idea that Virtuosity copied the Shattering. I would hope they would be more inventive. Yoki-hijo might be considered splinters based on level of Investiture. And of course they're fallout from the splintering. They were created by spirits, which are the leftover pieces of Virtuosity. 14 might be Virtuosity's number, or it just might be the number of them that existed when human hubris tried to replace them with an Awakened machine.

On 7/26/2023 at 7:43 PM, Leuthie said:

I hate the idea that Virtuosity copied the Shattering. I would hope they would be more inventive. Yoki-hijo might be considered splinters based on level of Investiture. And of course they're fallout from the splintering. They were created by spirits, which are the leftover pieces of Virtuosity. 14 might be Virtuosity's number, or it just might be the number of them that existed when human hubris tried to replace them with an Awakened machine.

I personally like the idea that Virtuosity Splintered herself in imitation of the Shattering, it lines up very nicely with the 16 maximum Yok-Hijo, but I just don't think it's likely. The Yoki-Hijo are entirely too UnInvested to be holding an entire sixteenth of a Shard, and there are the Hijo, which are made of Virtuosity's Investiture, something that wouldn't have happened if the Yoki-Hijo held the entirety of Virtuosity's Shard. Not to mention what would happen to the Investiture while there weren't 16 Yoki-Hijo. It could still be that Virtuosity Splintered herself into 16 pieces and one of those pieces landed on Komashi, becoming the Hijo (and Yoki-Hijo by extension), but the entire Shard couldn't have ended up there. I'm more partial to the theory that 13 is Virtuosity's number. 13 is a Fibonacci number, which is repeated all throughout the book as artistic and important, the 14 Yoki-Hijo being Yumi + 13 others, 13 Connections Connecting any given Yoki-Hijo to the others, the Nightmares needing "over a dozen" feedings to become stable. Not for nothing, there's also this WoB:

Neon Borealis

The story [Yumi and the Nightmare Painter] uses the Fibonacci sequence several times as a recurring element related to art (and the golden ratio). Given that nightmares need "over a dozen" feedings to materialize and the number 13 features heavily on Yumi's rituals, would you say that 13 is related to Virtuosity in the same way that 16 is to Preservation and 10 is to Honor?

Brandon Sanderson

Wow. Good guess.

Secret Project #3 Reveal and Livestream (March 22, 2022)

22 minutes ago, Underwater_Worldhopper said:

I personally like the idea that Virtuosity Splintered herself in imitation of the Shattering, it lines up very nicely with the 16 maximum Yok-Hijo, but I just don't think it's likely. The Yoki-Hijo are entirely too UnInvested to be holding an entire sixteenth of a Shard, and there are the Hijo, which are made of Virtuosity's Investiture, something that wouldn't have happened if the Yoki-Hijo held the entirety of Virtuosity's Shard. Not to mention what would happen to the Investiture while there weren't 16 Yoki-Hijo. It could still be that Virtuosity Splintered herself into 16 pieces and one of those pieces landed on Komashi, becoming the Hijo (and Yoki-Hijo by extension), but the entire Shard couldn't have ended up there. I'm more partial to the theory that 13 is Virtuosity's number. 13 is a Fibonacci number, which is repeated all throughout the book as artistic and important, the 14 Yoki-Hijo being Yumi + 13 others, 13 Connections Connecting any given Yoki-Hijo to the others, the Nightmares needing "over a dozen" feedings to become stable. Not for nothing, there's also this WoB:

Yeah, I was (and still am) completely convinced her number is 13. Due to reasons you mentioned, and several other reasons. Like, I am pretty sure 13 is the highest number of washes done during the bathing ritual (as in, 13 washes with one soup). So, yeah, 13 is reflected in many different parts of the work and world. There are also 13 nations. Nagadan and 12 others. 

Hijo are especially active on the thirteenth year. 

Pretty tenuous, but Yumi claimed to be 17, and 17 is a cousin prime to 13. 13 is also, obviously, prime, and Brandon made sure to put a focus on Design liking prime numbers, which I feel is a reflection of the idea of primes being important. It is the 2nd Wilson Prime and 2nd Star Number, and 2 manifests in various aspects of Virtuosity's Splinters and Investiture. Even more tenuous, 13 is the number of the Tarot Card of Death, and Virtuosity is dead. (That last one is a joke, that is way too tenuous.) 

And ofc, what you mentioned, Brandon said 13 is a good guess.