Hoid in Alloy of Law?

fyodor

And no, he wasn't doing anything important. He was just there for the cameo.

Um, you don't know that at all. Hoid meddles a lot, we just don't know his true objectives. He's always doing stuff in the background.

I thought he was there to say "congratulations" to a couple of friends of Brandon Sanderson's.

How they got to Scadrial I would very much like to know.

Of course, I am not ruling out the possibility that Hoid might have stopped to run a few errands while he was there. He might have strangled half a dozen potential Mistborn, ruined several fine carpets with overly-stylish storytelling, played chess with Marsh (and cheated, since he was using glass pieces), adopted a pet a Mistwraith named Steve, corrected a couple spelling errors in the Words Of Founding, and stolen Tillaume's finest Jasmine tea (a normal day in the life of Hoid), for all I know. But I thought we'd been told that his actions at the wedding, specifically, were nothing untoward.

-- Deus Ex Biotica

I thought he was there to say "congratulations" to a couple of friends of Brandon Sanderson's.

How they got to Scadrial I would very much like to know.

Specifically, Josh and Mi'chelle (Rubix and firstRainbowRose) on the forums :)

Well, if you ask Mi'ch, she told Brandon that she invented her own character's backstory to be something like this: She's from Nalthis, because she has the apostrophe and double consonants in her name. She became a worldhopper, and then fell in love with Josh, a native of Scadrial. It's kind of funny, because Mi'chelle really is her name, and it's exactly with Nalthis naming conventions.

I thought Brandon had said at one point that he was just there for the cameo. I could be wrong, though.

Oh, it's an awesome cameo, but I have a hard time believing that Hoid isn't also up to something else. Considering the fact that he's in, you know, every cosmere book, doing something.

Double posting, but since this was posted, this is pretty much why I think Hoid is up to something:

Mi'chelle: How does Hoid know where to go when?

Alright, who does not know who Hoid is? If you want to know about Hoid, the 17th Shard, which is the official fansite for my works, has some great information about him. There is a character who showed up in Elantris, who showed up in Mistborn, who showed up in Warbreaker, who showed up in Way of Kings. All with the same name, the same person. So there’s lots of theorizing about it. How does he know? He has his ways! (general groans) So a little bit more? Just a little bit more? He may be capable of a little bit of foreseeing of certain events, not what’s going to happen, but he may need to be in a certain place in a certain time.

• 3 years later...

Mr. Ahlstrom indicated here (bottom)that Hoid was in Alloy of Law

http://twg.17thshard.com/index.php?action=profile;u=6;area=showposts;start=75

Any thoughts/speculation?

Ok I know I'm necroing here, but I have a question about this--why is it "especially obvious" to certain readers?

(I've read all of Brandon's published cosmere works, but it didn't jump out at me... but I'm not particularly good at this sort of thing.)

Ok I know I'm necroing here, but I have a question about this--why is it "especially obvious" to certain readers?

(I've read all of Brandon's published cosmere works, but it didn't jump out at me... but I'm not particularly good at this sort of thing.)

I imagine because it's at the wedding which is itself a cameo for Rubix and FRR.

• Chaos locked this topic