Which Term Would You Like to Refer to Feruchemical "Flaring"?

Chaos

47 members have voted

1. 1. Which Term Would You Like to Refer to Feruchemical "Flaring"?

• Overtap
    • Surge
    • Funnel
    • Condense
    • Flood
    • Drain

As discussed here and here, we're trying to come up for a verb where you tap a great deal of a Feruchemical attribute.

You may be wondering why we're even doing this. It's for this reason:

The weight was gone from him in an instant, compounded upon itself in that moment, his metalminds drained all at once.

That's a quote from Alloy of Law. See, the attribute's power "compounds" upon itself, meaning you get diminishing returns. However, we believe that if we use the word "compound" to refer to this phenomena, that will get confused with Compounding, the Allomancy-Feruchemy trick. For at least this site, it would be nice to get rid of such an ambiguity. This poll is to give you some say in which verb you feel works the best.

Extensive arguments in favor of each word can be found here, and please, please read through that. You may be swayed one way or another due to people's arguments.

Personally, I believe that whichever verb is selected must be evocative in a magical sense, be a fair substitution in that "compounding" quote earlier, functionally make sense with what is actually happening to the Feruchemical attribute, and preferably, sound cool. You may have different criteria, however.

Some example sentences uses each term:

Wax surged weight.

Wax overtapped weight.

Wax funneled weight.

Wax condensed weight.

Wax flooded weight.

It's something that would fit with "Wax [blank] a week's worth of weight in a single moment, shattering the floor." If you have additional verbs, I can add them to the poll.

Happyman made a salient point in the Feruchemical Flaring thread whether we, in fact, need a new term at all. "Tap", after all, fits in that example sentence. And I agree with happyman; you're more than welcome to use "tap" with a modifier to denote that you're tapping a great deal. However, I'd like to dissuade people from using "compound" to describe this effect, so I would like an effective substitution for that, when theorizing or something requires it.

Happy voting.

(Also, surge ftw.)

EDIT: Hey, when do you guys want the voting to end?

I want a choice for "none of the above". I still think that an "official" verb is unnecessary.

And I really do understand your point. I agree that tap works just fine. However, there is an ambiguity with "compound", and that can get confusing for new members who are just beginning to theorize, you know? So it's less that I want to force people to use this verb (because tap can work well in most circumstances), but I just want something that isn't compound. The ambiguity is a problem.

Edited by Chaos

Exactly.

The whole initial idea was to have a way of explaining "Feruchemical energy loss" (which seems to take some time for people to get their heads around, it being end-neutral and all) without resorting to the Brandonthology quotes, which use "compounding" and thus are nearly certain to confuse things more.

Since it seems almost certain that Surge shall defeat my efforts, I hope that it shall not cause confusion of its own - but, at the very least, it is sure to cause less confusion, so it's still an improvement.

As long as we're agreed on which words we're not using, the rest doesn't matter (and I will most likely ignore our "official" decision, and use whatever word seems best for whatever situation might come up).

Fair enough. No one's going to be hunting people who use the "wrong" word down with pitchforks or anything. Having an agreed-upon convention is just useful.

As long as we're agreed on which words we're not using, the rest doesn't matter (and I will most likely ignore our "official" decision, and use whatever word seems best for whatever situation might come up).

Sure. People ignore the 17th Shard/Seventeenth Shard convention all the time (the former referring to the site, the latter referring to the in-world organization). Not a big deal. And in this case, you're exactly right: it's more important which word we aren't using.

I would prefer drained :(

Okay, I'll add it into the poll. No worries.

Sorry but surge to me does not make sense in the context.

Drain is more logical and the erase should be:

"Wax drained his metalminds"

Plus isn't surging used already in WoK ?

A note on Drain: The reason I don't like this option, as outlined in the original thread, is because it implies a complete emptying of the metalmind, while that is not necessarily the case for all circumstances where we would use this word.

I do not feel that drain mechanically makes as a replacement, in the exact sense that "compound" is used.

The weight was gone from him in an instant, compounded upon itself in that moment, his metalminds drained all at once.

Replaced with:

The weight was gone from him in an instant, drained upon itself in that moment, his metalminds drained all at once.

No, that really doesn't make sense.

Drain mechanically makes sense in that it involves "tapping a lot", but the word we are looking for actually deals with Feruchemical energy "loss", and drain doesn't have anything to do with that. If you don't like surge, condense makes most sense given this condition. However, I do feel that condense is a rather lame verb.

I do feel that surge does make sense in this context. It's like a river surging to new heights, building on itself, until it destroys something. I don't know, something like a floor. Surge makes sense as a direct replacement for compound in this circumstance, and has the benefit of working with the statement of "Wax surged weight". There is a matter of transitivity which was mentioned before, but dang it, I feel that "Some surged something" means that the something is being surged :P

Plus isn't surging used already in WoK ?

I'll repeat my arguments for why I think Feruchemical surging is totally different from Surge, with Surgebinding. Firstly, Surge, capital-S, is a noun. We haven't seen too much reference to the Surges, but Brandon has used the word Surge as a noun. Feruchemical surging, on the other hand, is a verb. In our context, you make something surge. In Stormlight, the Surges are powers themselves. It is possible that Surge could be used as a verb in later Stormlight book, but, if you look at the parallel with Surgebinding and Voidbinding, well... you don't "Void" something. They are nouns. In fact, I put down $5 on it to IvoryRoad if it does become a verb. It's possible that I'm wrong. God knows you can find plenty of examples of that. But still.

Secondly, you have to wonder if there is any context where surge and Surge would actually get confused. The only case is if a Feruchemist fought a Surgebinder. I'm pretty sure we're all intelligent enough to keep the two meanings of the word separate on two separate worlds, just like we can easily distinguish between Shardbearer and Shardholder (another noncanonical, fan agreed upon convention). Even if Surge suddenly became a verb, I don't think there would exist an ambiguity.

Let's say I'm writing the best fan fiction there ever was, involving Wax and Jasnah's epic romance. A huge, sweeping love story across worlds! Well, it turned out to not go so well, and Jasnah and Wax end up fighting. This is the only situation where the verbs even have the potential to get confused, right?

Well, when I'm writing in Jasnah's POV, you know what? Turns out there are awesome verbs already. Jasnah doesn't Surge anything; she Soulcasts. If Szeth fought Wax, then Szeth Lashes stuff, not Surges stuff.

So, my challenge to anyone who is worried about a Stormlight-Mistborn ambiguity with surge would be to come up with a sentence where you'd actually get the two terms mixed up. None has been suggested so far.

I think if you have any objection to surge, a more reasonable argument against is to discuss the verb's intransitivity, and that when I say "Wax surged weight", I'm making it transitive. (Nyah.) That's a much more cogent argument than worrying about an ambiguity that might exist in Stormlight, but an ambiguity that we can't even think of a case where it'd be confusing.

I personally feel that surge makes sense in the most contexts, fits with the magical mechanism in question, and is the most evocative term on the list.

just because you would put drained into a sentence in a different way to surge or compound doesnt not mean it cannot be used to mean exactly the same thing :/ im also with crazyrioter on surge :P

Well, even with non-canon terms, I'd like to fit in the spirit with canon, so I'd like a one-to-one correspondence with whatever we choose and compound.

If you want to stick with the canon so much why do t you just use compound and Compound :P if ur gonna change it change it to something that sounds good! xD

(to me surge just doesn't sound right despite being a lovely word :P)

I will refer you to my earlier statement about using the capitalization of the character 'c' to discriminate between the two.

I think that all of us can agree that "Compound" vs "compound" would twist so many brains into pretzels that we could all be justifiably sued for mental damage if we start using the case of the letter 'c' to differentiate these fundamentally different concepts.

Alright, I am calling it: "Surge" is the new official unofficial word for "Flaring" your Feruchemy, as in, "Wax Surged weight," "the constant Surging was running my Goldminds dangerously low," "If you Surge Tin after that, you're insane," "A Surge of my Metalminds made him trust me at once," etc. Take that, lower-case-"c"-compounding!

Hooray for the democratic process!

-- Deus Ex Biotica

Alright, I am calling it: "Surge" is the new official unofficial word for "Flaring" your Feruchemy, as in, "Wax Surged weight," "the constant Surging was running my Goldminds dangerously low," "If you Surge Tin after that, you're insane," "A Surge of my Metalminds made him trust me at once," etc. Take that, lower-case-"c"-compounding!

Hooray for the democratic process!

-- Deus Ex Biotica

Ahem. . .

Speaking of democracy, we should probably use a majoritarian model instead of a first-past-the-post system. Surge got 42% of the vote, significantly less than a >50% majority. I would suggest one last run-off between Surge and Overtap to be sure.

Edited by Kurkistan

Ahem. . .

Speaking of democracy, we should probably use a majoritarian model instead of a first-past-the-post system. Surge got 42% of the vote, significantly less than a >50% majority. I would suggest one last run-off between Surge and Overtap to be sure.

I disagree, first-past-the-post is fine for this circumstance.