What happened to the ravens?

On 7/2/2023 at 1:21 PM, Oltux72 said:

This one is an oddity. The ravens are talked about as if they still existed. How is that possible? How have they survived without sunlight?

Source? I can't find what you are referencing. What I did find:

• In Yumi's world they repeatedly reference "great crows" that are used to tend the floating plants
  • Hoid mentioned in a narritive aside (Ch 6) that "I’ve never seen one the size of a full-grown man. More like the size of a seven- or eight-year-old."
  • Painter uses the image as a basis for a drawing to capture a Nightmare in Ch 40 - but that was based on teh experience of seeing them in Yumi's "world"

7 minutes ago, GoldMisting said:

It makes me wonder if he's been (literally) watching any other characters viewpoints though elsewhere in the Cosmere or if that situation was unique to mentally escaping his situation while being a coat rack

There was specifically Connection shennaniganery going on behind the scenes on Komashi during the events of the book, so I doubt it, although it isn't entirely out of the question.

5 hours ago, Underwater_Worldhopper said:

There was specifically Connection shennaniganery going on behind the scenes on Komashi during the events of the book, so I doubt it, although it isn't entirely out of the question.

True, there was a lot of unusual Connection going on even excluding him, but he regularly makes heavy use of Connection to speak local languages and use the local variety of supernatural powers so who knows if he CAN do this normally but we simply haven't been explicitly told he was doing it.  It might actually explain how he's so good at showing up where there's something big happening

7 hours ago, GoldMisting said:

True, there was a lot of unusual Connection going on even excluding him, but he regularly makes heavy use of Connection to speak local languages and use the local variety of supernatural powers so who knows if he CAN do this normally but we simply haven't been explicitly told he was doing it.  It might actually explain how he's so good at showing up where there's something big happening

Could be, but he's good at showing up at important places at important times (and knows who the important people are there) because he has access to Fortune. That's why he know the when and the where but not the why.

• 3 months later...
On 7/6/2023 at 1:52 PM, GoldMisting said:

Wasn't Hoid witnessing the story from the viewpoints of Yumi, Painter and Liyun while being a coat rack?  Yumi and Painter saw simulated birds for sure

Someone suggested, and it makes sense to me, that he visited that world at some point before they turned on the machine and that is how he knows so much about how things work in Yumi's world.