Plot ideas for mini-campain in Mistborn rpg

Akkarat

I want to gm mini campaign for my friends, none of them read mistborn or have any knowledge about the plot/characters/etc, i've already wrote a short story to introduce them with how allomancy works and the world of mistborn in general. So far so good - they said that they like it and rlly wants to play. To give them full "mistborn experience" i wanted to give them "maybe challenging, but nothing-special-at-first" kind of quest, but which would lead them to reveal of some kind of secret, changing how they see their task, maybe during 2 or 3 session

aaaand now the problems start - im so stressed that i "have to come up with a good plot"... that i dont have any ideas, literally every time when i come up with sth i automatically think that nooo its stupid i have to do sth better!... I though about starting form giving them task to rob noble house but it seems boring

I would appreciate any kind of help - loose ideas, materials, maybe someone who already gm game in mistborn rpg wants to share a little bit about their game and what they did?

an interesting concept could be that the crew has a contact in the ministry that has tipped them off that a fellow thieving crew, one that they have a rivalry with yet also work with on occasion may soon be raided. From their the players would have to decide whether or not to help their skaa brethren or to prepare to swoop in and fill the vacancy. 

Welcome to the Forums. Here are some tips and tricks in case they might help:

Spoiler

At the bottom left of a post you will see a "+" icon, a "Quote" link, and (your posts only) and Edit and Options tools. On the bottom right you will see an up arrow.

• The Up Arrow is how you thank people or "like" a post
  • The "Quote" link is exactly that, when you click it the quote will be added to the reply at the bottom of the thread wherever the cursor is
    • So, if you have already started to reply before you decide to quote you can then add the quote before or after your text depending on the cursor location when you click "Quote"
  • The + icon is multi-quote. As you read a thread, if you want to quote multiple items you click that for each post
    • As you click +, you should see a toaster pop-up on the bottom right of the browser window showing how many quotes you will have
    • They are added in the order you click the + icon, not in the original post order, so you can set the order of quotes for your reply
    • When you are ready to reply, click on the toaster pop-up and it will take you directly to the reply section and add the quotes automatically
  • Finally, you can also highlight a small section of a post and, when hovering over the highlit portion, click the "Quote" button that pops up.
  • Also note that you can move quotes after they have been added to your reply.
    • For example, you add a quote and realize there are no empty lines below it for you to type - so you can hit "enter" before the quote to make an empty line then when you hover over a quote you will see a 4-way arrow at the top-left that you can use to drag the quote up (or down)  and move the quote to before the empty line. . .
  • Use the Edit link to make changes to a completed post or add information to your post if it is the most recent (to avoid double posting)
    • Quote buttons will still send a quote to "Reply" if you have a post open for edit, but it is easy to cut/paste the quote to the Edit box
    • Editing the first post in a thread allows the thread-creator to edit the thread title.
    • Editing allows you to add a reason for the edit (Spelling and grammar (SPAG), formatting, clarification, new information, etc.), but it is not required.
  • Next to Edit you will also find an "options" dropbox, you can use this to hide your post if you want to remove it after posting
  • At the top of a post you will find "Report Post"
    • Use this if you do accidentally double-post (sometimes it's the browser or a slow link that causes a double post) - just leave a message that it was an accidental double post and the Mods can fix it. If it was the first post of a new thread that doubled, they usually can merge the threads if they both have answers, so all of the content is retained.

Hope that helps.

5 hours ago, Akkarat said:

I want to gm mini campaign for my friends, none of them read mistborn or have any knowledge about the plot/characters/etc, i've already wrote a short story to introduce them with how allomancy works and the world of mistborn in general. So far so good - they said that they like it and rlly wants to play. To give them full "mistborn experience" i wanted to give them "maybe challenging, but nothing-special-at-first" kind of quest, but which would lead them to reveal of some kind of secret, changing how they see their task, maybe during 2 or 3 session

aaaand now the problems start - im so stressed that i "have to come up with a good plot"... that i dont have any ideas, literally every time when i come up with sth i automatically think that nooo its stupid i have to do sth better!... I though about starting form giving them task to rob noble house but it seems boring

I would appreciate any kind of help - loose ideas, materials, maybe someone who already gm game in mistborn rpg wants to share a little bit about their game and what they did?

Can we please get some more information to make any ideas more appropriate?

• What era does this take place (same as the novels; 1st, 3rd, 8th century TFE, etc)
  • What dominance does this take place?
  • What kind of characters are in the group (Faux-Skaa like Breeze, Skaa like Dox, Half-Nobles like Kelsier and Marsh, distant heritage like Hammond, unknown heritage like Vin) and what are their concept(s) (Skaa rebellion, thieving crew(s), underground, etc.)? 

17 hours ago, Treamayne said:

Can we please get some more information to make any ideas more appropriate?

• What era does this take place (same as the novels; 1st, 3rd, 8th century TFE, etc)
  • What dominance does this take place?
  • What kind of characters are in the group (Faux-Skaa like Breeze, Skaa like Dox, Half-Nobles like Kelsier and Marsh, distant heritage like Hammond, unknown heritage like Vin) and what are their concept(s) (Skaa rebellion, thieving crew(s), underground, etc.)? 

oh sure thing! i forgot to add it, thx

i wanted to place it in central dominance, before or during 1st novel. Players didn't give me  characters yet, i thought it would be easier for them to tell me what character they want to play after i give them more details on the campaing and what would be their job

13 minutes ago, Akkarat said:

oh sure thing! i forgot to add it, thx

i wanted to place it in central dominance, before or during 1st novel. Players didn't give me  characters yet, i thought it would be easier for them to tell me what character they want to play after i give them more details on the campaing and what would be their job

Then, I would say one possible intro campaign might be that some or all characters are escaped plantation Skaa that have heard an army is forming - somewhere - but they arenlt sure where, aren't sure how to make contact, and are on the run trying to find safety. You could even have their Snap happen during this first part of the game (or be really "interesting" and don't let them know who will Snap or what kind of Misting they may become - you can decide yourself based on how they play and interact either choosing a complimentary skill or a contradictory skill that forces character growth).

It would be up to the characters if they ever follow thorugh with finding the caves and trying to join the rebellion. Maybe one of the group is already a Misting or member o the Underground that convinced the others to escape? Lots of choices. You could even have them from the rim of the dominance (e.g. Faleast on the border of Central and Eastern Dominances - but have to pass both the Black Lake and Luthadel to get to the area around the caves) to increase the distance they must travel wile remaining incognito.

4 minutes ago, Treamayne said:

Then, I would say one possible intro campaign might be that some or all characters are escaped plantation Skaa that have heard an army is forming - somewhere - but they arenlt sure where, aren't sure how to make contact, and are on the run trying to find safety. You could even have their Snap happen during this first part of the game (or be really "interesting" and don't let them know who will Snap or what kind of Misting they may become - you can decide yourself based on how they play and interact either choosing a complimentary skill or a contradictory skill that forces character growth).

It would be up to the characters if they ever follow thorugh with finding the caves and trying to join the rebellion. Maybe one of the group is already a Misting or member o the Underground that convinced the others to escape? Lots of choices. You could even have them from the rim of the dominance (e.g. Faleast on the border of Central and Eastern Dominances - but have to pass both the Black Lake and Luthadel to get to the area around the caves) to increase the distance they must travel wile remaining incognito.

Thats a great idea :D thank you!!

• 1 month later...

That idea that I've always thought would be fun is if a member of your crew has been captured and is being interrogated. A steel inquisitor is on its way to interrogate them and if your players don't break out your friend then he will eventually reveal the location of your hideout and set a steel inquisitor on your tail which is basically a death sentence. Sounds like a good in-world prison break movie. 

The other idea is a pretty standard break into a vault during a ball one-shot. Could use the mentality that even though there will be more guards they would be distracted by all the guests. Gives your players an RP opportunity as well. 

14 hours ago, Elite01 said:

The other idea is a pretty standard break into a vault during a ball one-shot. Could use the mentality that even though there will be more guards they would be distracted by all the guests. Gives your players an RP opportunity as well. 

Yeah, this could work. In my experience for mini campaigns heists work great. A bit of fighting, roleplaying, and creativity. My players love heists. And they're pretty fun to GM.