Renarin's Glasses

navybrandt

I think the reigning theory is that Renarin is a Truthwatcher.  Well, I have a theory about Renarin's spren, Glys, that I haven't seen anywhere else (If I'm wrong, just point me to the correct topic).

I think that Renarin's glasses are his spren or at least related to being a Truthwatcher (Ym, another Truthwatcher, also had glasses).  Truthwatchers are all about seeing things so glasses make sense to me.

Any thoughts, agreements, further evidence, or proof I'm outright wrong?

I... don't think so. It seems like an odd idea to me; I mean... I guess linguistically, theres a similarity between Glys and Glass, but...

Everyone seems surprised that Renarin doesn't need his glasses anymore, meaning his poor sight is a long-standing condition. So he's probably had glasses long before Glys appeared.

After Glys appeared (whenever that might have been)... I would imagine that Shardglasses would look different from regular glasses. So I can't buy into it happening then.

So... sorry, doesn't seem terribly likely to me. The point about both Truthwatchers wearing glasses is kind of a neat thing to pick up though; I think I've seen theories that Glys may be the same spren who bonded to Ym, so that might be a case of foreshadowing.

Which means Shai should be appearing at Uritheru as a Truthwatcher any day now, yeeeees...

Even though we have not seen Glys yet, we did see Ym's spren, separate from his glasses.

And if Glys were Renarin's glasses, wouldn't he be wearing them more now, rather than less?

Hmm…interesting connection with Ym and the glasses, I didn’t catch that. At this point I would lean towards Quiver’s explanation of the glasses being foreshadowing. I read it as Renarin coming to power healed his eyesight and possibly whatever his “blood weakness” is supposed to be, similar to what happened with Lopen. The glasses thing could be a bit of symbolism for a Truthwatcher. Those with poor eyesight fit the potential Truthwatcher profile which makes the gift of clearer vision even more meaningful.   

Also, I’d wondered how common wearing spectacles is in Roshar. It seemed pretty significant and noticeable to others that Renarin wore them, but I couldn’t remember another character introduced with them. Although, I could have missed them or it could just be a choice in the writing to make the connection between Renarin and Ym stand out.

I agree Lirin would make a good truthwatcher, but I just dont see him being one and dont think glasses are the connection for truthwatchers like you said,

Also Ym's eyesight didnt heal like Renarins did which is strange, considering he was actively using stormlight so one would presume was ahead of Renarin in ability, an as how one sees themselves plays a big part in SA than that strikes me as strange as Renarin hardly saw himself as not needing glasses,

I don't mean to imply that every person that has glasses is a Truthwatcher.  Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I still think that there's something to Renarin's glasses though.

Renarin stated that Truthwatchers are unique because they "see" (WOR pg 1073).  The correlation between the Truthwatchers seeing things and glasses being for seeing things is too great.  Great discussion though and that fact that Ym still used his glasses and Renarin doesn't is interesting and might be what proves me wrong.

Actually, I think everyone took my "glasses" comment a little too seriously- my bad.

Actually... I'm kind of tempted to drop that Renarin neding glasses thing at Feather and see what happens. Renarin wanted to try and make his family proud during the series, so it could be argued that he has some kind of ideal of himself as an alethi warrior... and yet he's also the first person, after Sadeas, to disparage his blood weakness, and how that means he can't be a real lighteyes warrior.

Maybe he wears the glasses because he "sees" too much? and has the "fits" because the reality of what he sees is too much for him. Maybe his eye sight was never bad, and he just wanted to blur the world?

Like how the shardblades scream, but he is more sensitive to it all. When he was in the arena crying in the sand holding the shardblade. It could be that his abliities allow him to see and be aware of more than he can handle. Seeing all of the Truth in the world? I dont know,....does that sound stupid?

Nope, and we know from the end of WoR that what he sees is not necessarily what actually happens.  Remember he foresaw all of their deaths in the Everstorm, but they actually survived (unless he was foreseeing some distant future).  So it might be that he foresaw Adolin's death in the arena or even that he always sees the worst-case scenario, and he used the glasses to block it out as you said.

To be honest I just think he had poor eyesight, if he was trying to blur the world as lifts awesomeness says then why would he stop wearing them all of a sudden? Wouldnt make sense to suddenly do that.

We know seeing the future is of the voidbringers/odium, so I think the point of the truthwatchers is to actually find snippets of truth in the future, maybe by seeing what odium wants them to see but looking for hidden truth in the visions etc

That would explain why in his vision he saw them all die, but day didnt, they somehow tap in to odiums future sight, but because Renarin is so inexperienced he saw it as the definite future instead of takin it as odiums goal and findin hidden expects of truth in the vision,

I could be way off with that.

I asked Brandon about this actually [read complained to Brandon]. I asked him about Renarin's character if his sickness [read epilepsy] disappeared. I greatly enjoyed one of the main character having  a debilitatiing injury. (No, I am not a psychopath. Good guess, though)

He responded that Renarin sickness wouldn't entirely go away. Hence, even as a Truthwatcher, the need for glasses exist.

Also, glasses help you see. They alter your vision to enable you to see better. If anything, Lightweavers should have them.

I always sort of figured that Truthwatchers were like KR versions of Pattern, or Vargo on the Diagram day.  Able to "see" by extrapolating the world around them out to a logical conclusion, rather than through actual future sight.

That would make it fit that Renarin actually thought they were going to get swept up in the Everstorm as it seems that Shallan was a bit of a wildcard, doing that thing she did.

And it would keep the "seeing the future is of Odium" still true.

Honestly, I didn't think his prophecy that they were all going to die was...well, prophecy. The Everstorm started, while Parshendi were shooting lightning at people, and he was doing his Truthwatcher thing; he even cries out, asking why he was cursed. Given everything that happened, I kind of thought Renarin was just being a little hysterical, or was suddenly overwhelmed by what was going on; it all piling up at once was just too much.

I need to start watching out for feather spikes, don't I?

Edited by Quiver

• Chaos locked this topic