Heralds and Spren

Moogle

We know that the spren created the bond to imitate the Honorblades, and their bond to the Heralds. So the Heralds were around doing their thing before the nahel bond existed. So they did attract spren by acting according to their divine attributes, and the spren they attracted decided to find people that they could bond with. As to why they didn't or couldn't form a bond directly with the Herald, we simple don't have enough information to make an adequate guess.   

Or, let phrase it so, the spren never tried to bond the Heralds, because the Heralds were already bound. Just like we never have seen a Knight Radiant being bound by two spren in the same time (well, there's no positive evidence about this, but I'd say it's unlikely an evidence of the contrary would turn up.)

Doesn't the way Honorblades grant abilities look like the way larasium grants abilities. I mean the way the Shard is taking away part of his "body".

And comparing the importance of oaths in the fuctioning of the Nahel Bond to the way holding the Honorblade by the Heralds is important for the Oathpact, it looks more and more likely that there was a bond between the Heralds and Honor very similar in many aspects to the Nahel bond.

It would be quite matcing, if the Nahel bond itself was actually mimicking the Honor's bond to Heralds. For the spren to take the idea about bonding humans from the fact of the Heralds, the Heralds' situation has to be a similar bond itself, hasn't it?

Which rises interesting questions about what was exactly the impact of breaking the Oathpact by the Heralds on Tanavast.

Or, let phrase it so, the spren never tried to bond the Heralds, because the Heralds were already bound. Just like we never have seen a Knight Radiant being bound by two spren in the same time (well, there's no positive evidence about this, but I'd say it's unlikely an evidence of the contrary would turn up.)

You can bond multiple Nahel spren:

Q:  Is there a limit to how many Shardblades you can have, be bonded to?

A:  Theoretically, not really. There are some things that can bound that. I can imagine people have a lot. In the original draft of The Way of Kings (2002) Amaram had two. And so, it's definitely possible to have multiples, and I had not thought of someone trying to bond every Shardblade.

Q:  So that means you can be bonded to more than one spren?

A:  Well, those Shardblades are...

Q:  Dead ones.

A:  Yes. So, can you be bonded to more than one spren? The question's answer is also yes. Potentially. But there is a much harder limit on that.

(source)

I see, I was wrong. mainly because I just couldn't imagine a single Radiant belonging to two Orders in same time, even if it's quite likely for one person to have character well matching the ideals of more than one Order. But still, this WoB is clear that a bonding of more han one living spren to a single person is something not easily to come. That would be definitely an exception. And surely just being of a character matching some spren's ideals doesn't mean htat person will be automatically sought for by other spren after the first bond. Else bonding the same Radiant by more of the same order of spren would be a commonplace, because a peson attracting one spren will of course attract more of the same kind.

• 2 weeks later...

So what I gather if that even after the "cometlike spren" left, she still hears the voice, which I now think may very well be her own self. If it weren't for word "spren", I would never think any was involved. No mention of her blade, none at all. Based on this, I am tempter to say she feels trap within herself, but she managed to retain enough conscience to know, deep within, what she does is right, hence the screaming. She may or may not have had a spren following her, but it looked like it was scared away. I do not read it as if the spren could not leave, I read it as if it did leave. The voice is, I believe none spren related.

I definitely agree the voice is her own.  But I'm not convinced that there is no spren in the mix (which I don't think is what you're saying either).  What if...somewhat loony theory...the Parshedi have some innate sort of spren in them, kind of like a Breath.  But when she was changing forms, she was accepting...for lack of a better word, a Dark Breath from Odium that the initial (Cultivation) Breath couldn't co-exist with.  This would also tie to the concept that they have a deeper link to the Cognitive Realm. 

Anyway, long time reader, first time poster.  Sorry it was a loony one straight away. ;)

I always assumed the Spren that fled when Eshonai got taken over by the Void-Spren was whatever type of Spren turned a Listener into Warform. It got chased out of her body and replaced by the Stormform Spren.

Or do Void-Spren use those Spren to take over the Listener? So as to use the least amount of Odium's Investiture as possible.

• Chaos locked this topic