We Need A Word For "Feruchemical Flaring"

Deus Ex Biotica

I think apart from using 'tap' with modifiers, I like the word 'surge'. However, it still doesn't sound right to me, probably because of how it's used normally..

'Surge' in common usage, when being used as a verb, is intransitive. i.e. <subject> surges, not <subject> surges <object>. And so when saying something like "I surged my metalmind", or even "I surged weight", it feels like.. the direction is wrong. Sorry, I don't think I'm explaining myself very well. I mean, when I perform this action of strongly tapping my metalmind for weight, I expect my weight to surge. Or to receive a surge of weight.

Actually, I found this an issue with many of the other words that otherwise sounded great, the problem with that I felt like the direction needed to change. Weight surging into you, or you surging with extra weight, or your weight surging.

No no, I'll totally put money down on this. If it does, I'll totally PayPal you five bucks, or something. Plenty for a cookie. Surge very well could be turned into a verb, but I'm confident :P Plus, if you're right, you get even more ammunition to make fun of me, which there's plenty of already.

You probably get this alot, but this quote kind of made my day.

It's doubtful that the mist spirit is the embodiment of Preservation on the sole basis that it sounds really lame. Preservation is a primordial force on par with Ruin, not some loser mist spirit.
Edited by Kurkistan

I think apart from using 'tap' with modifiers, I like the word 'surge'. However, it still doesn't sound right to me, probably because of how it's used normally..

'Surge' in common usage, when being used as a verb, is intransitive. i.e. <subject> surges, not <subject> surges <object>. And so when saying something like "I surged my metalmind", or even "I surged weight", it feels like.. the direction is wrong. Sorry, I don't think I'm explaining myself very well. I mean, when I perform this action of strongly tapping my metalmind for weight, I expect my weight to surge. Or to receive a surge of weight.

Actually, I found this an issue with many of the other words that otherwise sounded great, the problem with that I felt like the direction needed to change. Weight surging into you, or you surging with extra weight, or your weight surging.

Good point. I actually found that issue more aggravating with "flood" and "funnel", where it seemed very obviously the wrong direction. Surge seemed at least more reasonable as a transitive verb. Cursed grammar!

So, if we can come up with a transitive verb that is as good as surge...

(That said, I still think "Wax surged weight" should be a perfectly fine grammatical sentence, transitivity be damned.)

You probably get this alot, but this quote kind of made my day.

That one is my favorite. I will never live that down. (Though, in my defense, I sort of had a point. Sort of...)

Ok, I'm going to call this one. I think we've just about talked ourselves out on this topic. I personally support "Surge" as the new verb of choice.

As far as I can see, Overtap, Funnel, Surge, Condense, and Flood have been the serious main contenders so far. If anyone else has a verb they think has a chance of making it, I would suggest that you bring it up soon.

I hereby request that Deus Ex Biotica start a poll of the top contenders.

So, is it safe to say that people have generated the ideas they're likely to, and we can move to a Poll?

That was a fast response. :D

EDIT (to add meaningful content):

Although it's somewhat elitist of me, I request that you add a note to the poll requesting in turn that anyone who votes at least skims through the discussions here.

I have been convinced of Surge's superiority mainly through the arguments made in this thread, and would prefer that the forum at large did not make a poorly informed choice, as is the bane of all democratic institutions.

Edited by Kurkistan

That was a fast response. :D

Hilariously, I started making my response before yours was even posted. But don't tell anyone. I prefer it to look like I was idle for a week, and showed back up within minutes of someone saying my name.

And, of course, people should read this thread before voting. I stand by Flood as the superior word, but I am allowed to be stubborn, so long as I am also informed, which I am.

-- Deus Ex Biotica

You know, I am wondering, is there really a difference? I mean, each metalmind has a limited capacity, right? So once it is charged, you can draw a certain amount for a certain time, but the amount and time are independent of the original charge rate (you can charge at quarter-strength, half-strength, but the result is the same). So unless the capacity changes depending on charge power (which would be weird, and there is no indication to that effect that I am aware of), a draw is a draw. For example, a ring would contain enough of your weight to go double for an hour, or triple for 20 minutes, etc. What exactly is the term for? Drawing very, very much? (Sorry if this point was already addressed)

You know, I am wondering, is there really a difference? I mean, each metalmind has a limited capacity, right? So once it is charged, you can draw a certain amount for a certain time, but the amount and time are independent of the original charge rate (you can charge at quarter-strength, half-strength, but the result is the same). So unless the capacity changes depending on charge power (which would be weird, and there is no indication to that effect that I am aware of), a draw is a draw. For example, a ring would contain enough of your weight to go double for an hour, or triple for 20 minutes, etc. What exactly is the term for? Drawing very, very much? (Sorry if this point was already addressed)

There are diminishing returns. Here's what started it all, if you want the the evidence.

There are diminishing returns. Here's what started it all, if you want the the evidence.

That does not address the above point, that each metalmind has a limited capacity that seems to be independent of charge rate. As for "diminishing returns", consider a battery. If we take metalmind as a battery, current as a draw power, "resistance" as constant, and "voltage" as a variable controllable by feruchemist, we get that to increase the "current" (drawn power) 2 times, you need to increase voltage two times, and your power consumption goes up 4 times, so you'll eat through the same charge 4 times faster, not 2 times. But there is no energy loss per se.

[EDIT] You see, almost nobody has addressed the opposite effect - is it easier to draw less energy? If you charge half of your weight for an hour, could you draw quarter for 2 hours? Or more? Afaik it is never used that way (correct me if I am wrong), so we don't know.

Edited by Satsuoni

That does not address the above point, that each metalmind has a limited capacity that seems to be independent of charge rate. As for "diminishing returns", consider a battery. If we take metalmind as a battery, current as a draw power, "resistance" as constant, and "voltage" as a variable controllable by feruchemist, we get that to increase the "current" (drawn power) 2 times, you need to increase voltage two times, and your power consumption goes up 4 times, so you'll eat through the same charge 4 times faster, not 2 times. But there is no energy loss per se.

[EDIT] You see, almost nobody has addressed the opposite effect - is it easier to draw less energy? If you charge half of your weight for an hour, could you draw quarter for 2 hours? Or more? Afaik it is never used that way (correct me if I am wrong), so we don't know.

I believe Wayne used this exact tactic to heal himself after the butler tried to blow them up in AoL. Supposedly it's a much more efficient use of the power, if a bit time-consuming. Which is why you don't see Bloodmakers doing it in the heat of battle.

If we could, I recommend moving this discussion to another topic, since the main subject is past.

• Chaos locked this topic