windrunner recreance

The_Milkgod

So it's been about a year since I've read RoW so the details aren't fresh in my mind. 

Jurble

Dear Mr. Sanderson,

Given the motivation per the books that the Knights believed they were giving up their Surgebinding powers to prevent the destruction of Roshar à la Ashyn, in practical terms how did e.g. Windrunners break their bonds?

Since they believed they were doing the right (honorable) thing wouldn't simply deciding "I'm breaking my oaths for the good of Roshar" not damage the bond (especially if Fifth Ideal Windrunners have [attitude] similar to Nale's comment regarding his bond)? Or can one break the bond by force of will or decision as opposed to betraying oaths in a practical sense?

Brandon Sanderson

There is an explanation to give here, but it would have spoilers for Rhythm of War and Book Five, so I'll RAFO for now. Ask me in about three years and four months.

Does anyone know what this could be referring too? Obviously we don't know what it could spoil for book five, but I can't think of anything in RoW that relates to this.

General Reddit 2020 (Aug. 24, 2020)

47 minutes ago, The_Milkgod said:

So it's been about a year since I've read RoW so the details aren't fresh in my mind. 

Does anyone know what this could be referring too? Obviously we don't know what it could spoil for book five, but I can't think of anything in RoW that relates to this.

Related to RoW is the revelation that Spren chose to break bonds as well, together with their knights.

Now more or less speculations: both knights and spren chose to break the bond, but because Ba Ado Mishram was just captured, ripping of her connection to everyone in Roshar, especially Spren, which  hurt them so much that them breaking the bond make Spren unable to remain "alive", turning them into deadeye.

1 minute ago, alder24 said:

Related to RoW is the revelation that Spren chose to break bonds as well, together with their knights.

Now more or less speculations: both knights and spren chose to break the bond, but because Ba Ado Mishram was just captured, ripping of her connection to everyone in Roshar, especially Spren, which  hurt them so much that them breaking the bond make Spren unable to remain "alive", turning them into deadeye.

Ahh, I don't know why I didn't think of that when reading this. Thank ya lol

One answer to this is that the Windrunners would have been giving up on the First Ideal, the Journey Before the Destination part.  I would have said the "Life before Death" part too, but per RoW they had a purpose and while they thought it would hurt, they didnt realize that it would happen as it did.

You as a knight can just decide to break your oaths at any time (so long as it's before 5th oath).

Questioner

Kaladin kind of went back on his Oaths in the second book, right?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. He started down that path.

Questioner

How could Shallan or Lightweavers go back on the truths they make? And did Shallan do any of that in Oathbringer?

Brandon Sanderson

No, the Cryptics-- remember, how the spren is viewing this is very important. The Cryptics have an interesting relationship with truth. Harder to break your Oaths in that direction with a Cryptic. Harder to move forward, also, if you're not facing some of these things and interacting with them in the right way. But, while I can conceive a world that it could happen, it'd be really hard to for a Lightweaver to do some of the stuff. Particularly the ones close to Honor, you're gonna end up with more trouble along those lines, let's say.

Questioner

So then, what happened with the Lightweavers during the Recreance? Did they break their Oaths?

Brandon Sanderson

They did break their Oaths. I mean, breaking your Oaths as in "walking away from the first Oath" will still do it, regardless of what Order you are. You can actively say, "I am breaking my Oaths and walking away." Anyone has that option. But you also are holding the life of a spren in your hand.

The Great American Read: Other Worlds with Brandon Sanderson (Oct. 25, 2018)