Why is Dragonsteel then?

Argenti

I looked at the dates for Dragonsteel and noticed it's the same week as Thanksgiving; why hold it at such an awkward time? I imagine many people wouldn't want to travel much (anymore than they already do), perhaps it's so more people from out of the country go?  Is that normal for Dragonsteel? Any ideas why?

Edited by Argenti

Because it's a glorified book launch. Books (in the US) often come out on Tuesdays, and Brandon has a long history of doing a big release party leading up to it; the convention just builds on that.

1 hour ago, Argent said:

Because it's a glorified book launch. Books (in the US) often come out on Tuesdays, and Brandon has a long history of doing a big release party leading up to it; the convention just builds on that.

Huh, That's something I've never known, thanks me minus the i! 

• 2 weeks later...

The timing of this Con will actually work out better for me this year!

I missed 2022 because, living in Hawaii, I couldn't really justify getting a trip out to do, as Argent aptly puts it, a "glorified book launch." Now I might be able to compile this trip with some pre-existing Thanksgiving travel opportunities to finally make it! 

When I pitched it to my wife, she wasn't automatically opposed to the idea so fingers crossed! 

• 2 weeks later...

likewise for me!!

because it’s thanksgiving break, i can go and not worry about missing school.

i’ve convinced my parents to go to utah that week for thanksgiving so we don’t have to pay exorbitant amounts to fly me and my mother for dragonsteel.

excited to go :))

On 6/1/2023 at 9:49 AM, CalanoCorvus said:

likewise for me!!

because it’s thanksgiving break, i can go and not worry about missing school.

i’ve convinced my parents to go to utah that week for thanksgiving so we don’t have to pay exorbitant amounts to fly me and my mother for dragonsteel.

excited to go :))

Same, except from the teacher side of things lol! Having it on Thanksgiving Week means that I don't have to use 3 PTO days to attend, which is very helpful in the case that I get sick or just need a personal day. 

On 6/9/2023 at 7:40 AM, Use the Falchion said:

Same, except from the teacher side of things lol! Having it on Thanksgiving Week means that I don't have to use 3 PTO days to attend, which is very helpful in the case that I get sick or just need a personal day. 

Exactly why I can come, too. Getting time off from teaching during the semester is hard.