The Iconar Collective - An RP

Channelknight Fadran

2 minutes ago, Frustration said:

"Nothing much that can be done. There aren't any walls or defensive structures, this is going to be an street by street battle, and it's going to be ugly. The best we can do is hole up and make it costly, I have a few weapons that can help us out. If we become a hard enough target, they'll move on and find someone else to deal with. Mercenaries don't have great loyalty, they might try and attack us a few times, but if we can hold out they'll move on to easier targets." Itzal said.

The attackers hit the town's first line of defense: a little creek surrounding the outer edges. It barely did anything to even hinder them the slightest bit. From there they charged into the streets - kicking over carts, smashing into houses.

"I'm not entirely certain that they're mercenaries." Ahna said.

Just now, Channelknight Fadran said:

"That being?"

"That we have no idea who this army is, what they want, their objectives, anything. This could be a false flag opperation, it could be a third realm has joined the war, it could be a group of deserters, it could be something else entirely, and we have no way of knowing."

10 minutes ago, Frustration said:

Mercenaries don't have great loyalty, they might try and attack us a few times, but if we can hold out they'll move on to easier targets." Itzal said.

"Ouch," Crowe muttered, but he didn't press it further.

1 minute ago, Frustration said:

"That we have no idea who this army is, what they want, their objectives, anything. This could be a false flag opperation, it could be a third realm has joined the war, it could be a group of deserters, it could be something else entirely, and we have no way of knowing."

"What do they gain from attacking this town? Its not particularity valuable from a tactical perspective is it?"

4 minutes ago, Frustration said:

1 minute ago, Justice_Magician said:

"What do they gain from attacking this town? Its not particularity valuable from a tactical perspective is it?"

"I think it's quite clear what they're up to." Ahna watched on as they ransacked house after house

Val didn't have much to contribute to the conversation, as she didn't know anything about warfare or tactical strategies, so instead, she listened intently while staring in awe at the fighting below.

2 minutes ago, Justice_Magician said:

"That's exactly the question."

1 minute ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

"I think it's quite clear what they're up to." Ahna watched on as they ransacked house after house

"Is it? Are they looking for loot? Resources? Hostages? Conscripts? Are they simply seizing the town for fortification? All of these have different objectives, priorities that change how we go about surviving. For some staying here is the best option, as having fortification with nothing to take increases our chance of survival. If they want hostages, conscripts, or fortification however, staying here dramatically reduces our chances of survival," Itzal said. He shook his head, "I don't like this."

7 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

"Oh," he said, shifting his attention to view of advancing soldiers. He felt far too jumpy, crowds made it some much harder to sense if someone was sneaking up on him. 

"Should we try to evacuate the people? This could easily turn into a massacre,"

5 minutes ago, Frustration said:

"That's exactly the question."

"Is it? Are they looking for loot? Resources? Hostages? Conscripts? Are they simply seizing the town for fortification? All of these have different objectives, priorities that change how we go about surviving. For some staying here is the best option, as having fortification with nothing to take increases our chance of survival. If they want hostages, conscripts, or fortification however, staying here dramatically reduces our chances of survival," Itzal said. He shook his head, "I don't like this."

"They're..." Ahna waved frustratedly. "Just... looting? Duh?"

2 minutes ago, Justice_Magician said:

"Oh," he said, shifting his attention to view of advancing soldiers. He felt far too jumpy, crowds made it some much harder to sense if someone was sneaking up on him. 

"Should we try to evacuate the people? This could easily turn into a massacre,"

"We need to evacuate them?"

Just now, Channelknight Fadran said:

Then they're probably mercenaries, Itzal thought rolling his eyes. I do wonder who hired them though.

1 minute ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

"I wouldn't, small groups and lone runners will have higher survival rates, and we'd be exposing anyone who found fortifications. Waiting this out will be best for everyone."

6 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

"I wouldn't, small groups and lone runners will have higher survival rates, and we'd be exposing anyone who found fortifications. Waiting this out will be best for everyone."

He shrugged, "That may be true, but we need to do something, I'm a pretty good fighter but I don't know how much of a difference one guy will make."

Is there a local army/ militia that's fighting back at all?

Edited by Justice_Magician

3 hours ago, DramaQueen said:

Val didn't have much to contribute to the conversation, as she didn't know anything about warfare or tactical strategies, so instead, she listened intently while staring in awe at the fighting below.

3 hours ago, Frustration said:

Then they're probably mercenaries, Itzal thought rolling his eyes. I do wonder who hired them though.

3 hours ago, Justice_Magician said:

He shrugged, "That may be true, but we need to do something, I'm a pretty good fighter but I don't know how much of a difference one guy will make."

How far to the nearest city? Probably several days - maybe even upwards of a week's worth of heavy travel, if Shadelight coming on was planning on making things difficult. Maybe these folks weren't exactly her problem, but... well, Crowe was right. They had to do something about it. Run a message, call for help, negotiate... maybe if they got some villagers organized they could section off the back end and hold out until help arrived? Or perhaps they could lead the attackers somewhere else?

"So, um..." Ahnalyn kept staring out the window. They'd moved into the town proper now, smashing into shops as well as homes. Only the slowest of stragglers were left for them to antagonize, but anyone who got in their way got a fist to the face or a boot to the chest. "Does anyone... ah... have any... ideas?"

On 5/7/2023 at 3:28 PM, Edema Ruh said:

Eceline panicked at the sound of the bells. Was this some sort of trap? Suddenly very much aware of her bright skin, she began scanning the room for a way out, a place to hide, anything.

care to join us in the clock tower?

25 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

How far to the nearest city? Probably several days - maybe even upwards of a week's worth of heavy travel, if Shadelight coming on was planning on making things difficult. Maybe these folks weren't exactly her problem, but... well, Crowe was right. They had to do something about it. Run a message, call for help, negotiate... maybe if they got some villagers organized they could section off the back end and hold out until help arrived? Or perhaps they could lead the attackers somewhere else?

"So, um..." Ahnalyn kept staring out the window. They'd moved into the town proper now, smashing into shops as well as homes. Only the slowest of stragglers were left for them to antagonize, but anyone who got in their way got a fist to the face or a boot to the chest. "Does anyone... ah... have any... ideas?"

Scud how the light did I miss all this? yes I’ll show up there 

Eceline panted as she made it up the tower. She froze when she saw the group gathered there. “Um, hi.” 

"Checks out, the one day I visit outside of Ivinan or Vitera, a rare army attacks." she muttered. Despite the bitter-sounding words, she couldn't hide the excited grin that threatened to break across her face, or the bounce in her feet as she watched the fighting.