Potential 4th Wall Break by Hoid

LilyBlossom9876

"I began life as a thought, a concept, words on a page. That was another thing I stole. Myself. Another time, I was named for a rock... a beautiful one, and one that became completely worthless for my wearing it."

-Hoid, The Way Of Kings Chapter 57-Wandersail

I noticed this quote on my third read of TWoK and found it of some note. This sort of touches on the fourth wall which is something that basically never happens in cosmere works-but it seems to happen here.

It technically could be something else, and I'd love to hear opinions. What does this mean...?

Oh, also this which has a small chance of being a fourth wall break as well (But easily could actually mean what it means when taken at face value.)

"So... Fleet. Was he real?"

"As real as I am."

-Kaladin and Hoid respectively, Words of Radiance Chapter 59-Fleet. Fleet is a story by Hoid that in every aspect seems fictional, and this quote was Kaladin asking whether Fleet was real. 

Hoid just seems like the type of person to sneak in a double meaning of that sort. I don't usually suspect this kind of quote, but this in particular feels like something.

No, he doesn't break the fourth wall

Spoiler

ZeN ‏

I so badly would want to know if Hoid knows he's a character in a book... or at the very least if he would accept it as a possibility...

Brandon Sanderson

Hoid does not know he's a character in a book. The cosmere doesn't break the fourth wall. (Sorry.)

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/115/#e11511

Judean_peoplesfront

I'm currently on a reread of WoK and in chapter 57 Hoid says to Kaladin: "I've many [names]. I began life as a thought, a concept, words on a page. That was another thing I stole. Myself."

Do we know if this is Hoid breaking the fourth wall or is it just some kind kind of metaphorical reference to his presence at the birth of the Shards?

Peter Ahlstrom

The simple answer is that this does not break the fourth wall, but we won't find out why until years from now. So it's understandable that you would interpret it this way.

firstRainbowRose

Can we have a hint as to which book will explain it?

Peter Ahlstrom

Probably Hoid's origin story, which Brandon is writing after he finishes Stormlight 10.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/188/#e12525

14 hours ago, LilyBlossom9876 said:

I noticed this quote on my third read of TWoK and found it of some note. This sort of touches on the fourth wall which is something that basically never happens in cosmere works-but it seems to happen here.

It technically could be something else, and I'd love to hear opinions. What does this mean...?

Oh, also this which has a small chance of being a fourth wall break as well (But easily could actually mean what it means when taken at face value.)

Hoid just seems like the type of person to sneak in a double meaning of that sort. I don't usually suspect this kind of quote, but this in particular feels like something.

Hoid's real name isn't Hoid. And he was using his master name, Frost told this in WoR letter.

Have you given up on the gemstone, now that it is dead? And do you no longer hide behind the name of your old master? I am told that in your current incarnation you’ve taken a name that references what you presume to be one of your virtues.

Hoid's "current incarnation" is Wit, as this is happening on Roshar. It's likely that Hoid’s old master's name was Hoid (or Cephandrius), the name Hoid had stolen. Which would make sense in the context of his words "I began life as a thought, a concept, words on a page. That was another thing I stole. Myself." - he stole his master name and his personality, or the idea of a character written by Hoid's master, or something like that. Hard to say anything about Hoid's past.

Another name Hoid references here is Topaz: "Another time, I was named for a rock... a beautiful one, and one that became completely worthless for my wearing it."

Spoiler

Questioner 1

In The Way of Kings, when Hoid is talking to Kaladin and he says his name is Hoid, he said that he took the name from someone else.

Brandon Sanderson

He did.

Questioner 1

So why is he Hoid in everything else?

Brandon Sanderson

Hoid is not his original name.

Questioner 1

So...

Questioner 2

Does he still go by his original name ever?

Brandon Sanderson

I don't know if you've ever seen his original name.

Questioner 2

I've read your Master's thesis [Dragonsteel Prime].

Brandon Sanderson

Oh, he doesn't go by the name that is in there very often but there are people who know him by that name.

Questioner 1

What is his original name?

Brandon Sanderson

Well he's assuming that the name he is using in there is actually his original name. He's using the name Cephandrius. Which you're assuming is his original.

Questioner 2

Closer to the truth than Hoid is.

Brandon Sanderson

It is closer to the truth...

Questioner 2

Cephandrius is closer to his original name than Hoid, it's an earlier alias.

Brandon Sanderson

Well Hoid was one of his very first aliases.

Questioner 2

So I stand corrected.

Brandon Sanderson

But, Cephandrius is more him.

Questioner 2

Does he still go by his nickname he got.

Brandon Sanderson

To some people, Topaz.

Peter Ahlstrom

Cephandrius Maxtori.

Shadows of Self release party (Oct. 5, 2015)

3 minutes ago, alder24 said:

Is it confirmed by some WoB which I can't find, or that's from the letter I quoted?

It's from the Liar of Partinel sample chapters.

There might be a WoB as well, I'll take a look.

Edited by Frustration