Stormlight Archive Portrait Series

Lyraina

• 4 months later...

Not 100% sure if this warrants necro-ing but......the art's awesome and deserves more exposure anyway?? (It totally does).

Anyway, the point of this is, there was a discussion on the visibility of Syl's feet. I was rereading and it clearly says that her feet are distinctly visible, and the dress and her hair disappear into wispiness. I think later description just mention the dress but yeah, her feet are visible. And now I'm probably going to just keep picturing her feet....:/ :)

Please allow me to preface my critique with this: The skill involved in this is good enough that I have no critiques on it. Therefore, I'm going to get very nit picky about execution. I hope that is read as the compliment I intended it to be.

Shallan's portrait was near perfect I say "near" because it doesn't seem you took too much from the side profile we already have of her in the front of WoR. It's a personal grievance, so don't put too much stock in it. It is really good! (I'm not sure that she would be wearing Kholin blue).

Jasnah seems a little too.... not Jasnah. She seems like a different Alethi girl. The problem, I think is the hair with the smile. The hair is down and it seems like it is not very controlled. The smile is just uncharacteristic because of the eyes. They eyes are too soft. Again, this is just my point of view. Her clothing was so perfect I couldn't even get over it.

Kaladin should have a beard. Come on. The expression on his face was perfect, though! Syl is beautiful and fantastically done. I love that one a lot.

The Chasm Duty picture really gets a cross the magnitude of the chasm. I love that it shows Kaladin with Syl lighting the way for him; that's just perfect symbolism. In the end, I think this is my favourite one you have shown us! I can't wait to see more.

If I could make a request (I know you only do that for people you know personally, but I have my fingers crossed) could you do a picture of Teft or Zahel? I really want to see how you would do their pictures. They are a similar character type, so pick either one. I am just extremely curious how you would render them.

• 2 years later...