14 hours ago, Edema Rue said:

Thanks guys!! It means so much that you guys read my lil words ❤️ 

Reveal hidden contents

I was watching him. It was my job to watch, after all, to notice the things no one else does. His hair was full and blond with gentle curls. And he was so very angry. The dungeons hadn’t been kind to him, that much I could tell at barely a moment’s glance. But they hadn’t broken him. 

He was chained to the floor, one arm on each side, ankles pulled down so that he was forced to kneel. That was more than enough for any prisoner, but the Lady clearly wanted him humiliated; there was a heavy iron collar around his throat, chaining him to the floor by his neck. She wanted him to feel defeated…why?

I could rarely make sense of my Lady’s actions, but there were always reasons, usually so many that even I never saw half of them. Subtle and dangerous and perfect…wiser than any Empress, braver than any Queen, and more deadly than any of my assassins. So what did she want from this prisoner? And why did she need him angry to get it?

He pulled at the chains, then winced. Ah…spikes. That made him a magic user…uncommon, outside our order. I wished I could see his face. Who was this…this boy that my Lady was so interested in? Where had he come from? I saw his jaw clench, and then he pulled again, every muscle flexing…all he succeeded in doing was deepening cuts. I saw the blood dripping from his wrists and neck…and I admired his bravery, amazed at his obvious idiocy. 

But no…he was neither foolish nor brave. He was just afraid of my Lady. He was desperate to escape her, no matter the consequences…how interesting.

And then she entered. Liz, the Lady of the Night and the Queen of Death. From my dark corner, I gave her a tiny bow. No one else would even know I was there, but the Lady saw through the deepest of shadows.

She twitched a finger, and the man’s head snapped up, chain going taught. His hair fell from his eyes, and I nearly gasped. That was…that was…

“Oh, Ien," my Lady crooned. “We’re back to where we started.”

“Give her back, Liz,” Ien whispered, voice ragged.

“Give who back? I don’t know what you’re talking about, old friend.” Her lies were sweet as wine on my tongue, and smooth as honey as she spoke them. I quivered with pleasure.

“Don’t play games with me,” Ien growled. “Don’t even start, Liz, because someday I will rip every bone from your body and you’ll finally understand what it means to hurt.”

Her mouth tilted up. “Is that what she would want from you?” Ien was silent. “No…” Liz…was grinning, now. When had I last seen her grin, or even smile? She was playing a part, surely she was… “That’s the piece of you that’s becoming like me.”

Ien roared, snapping forward only to be pulled back by the chains. They were clearly digging into his flesh, but he didn’t even seem to notice. “I am nothing like you,” he hissed. 

“Poor dog,” Liz said sweetly, stepping forward neatly and brushing a strand of sweat-soaked hair out of his eyes. “Chained at your mistress’s side…”

“I’m not your dog,” Ien said coldly. “Not your tool, or your toy, either. I’m King.” Ah…he surely sounded stoic. But I’d spent too long watching people not to see through him…he was trying to convince himself, not her. 

“And I’m Queen,” Liz’s reply was lightning quick. “Wouldn’t you rather be my king than my dog?”

“I’m not—” Ien cut off, gasping.

“You should let me finish talking.” Liz was subtle, threatening…beautiful. Perfectly still. “I have an offer for you, Ien.” Ien’s stare was sharper than the dagger in my hand. He said nothing, taking heaving breaths, blood dripping down his chest and back. “Good boy,” Liz said, dripping with honey. “I’ll give the mouse back to you…but first, I have a few…errands you’ll need to run.”

There was quiet for a long moment.

“Am I allowed to talk, now?” Ien asked flatly. Liz didn’t take the bait. He was being petty, and they both knew it. “You call yourself the Queen of Death.” He spat a mouthful of blood and spit at her, splattering her dress. “But you know nothing of what it is to rule. Ask Mari. She understands what it means to be a Queen better than you ever will.” I took a half step forward, furious, but Liz held up a hand, and I fell back. I would obey my Lady to the end.

Liz let out a quiet breath. “You would sentence your wife and daughter to death, Ien? I thought you were a hero. A king.”

Ien bowed his head again, chains clinking, and I saw his shoulders trembling. He really was broken…but in a different way than Liz or the rest of us. In a way that made him soft rather than hard, gentle rather than sharp. A hero rather than a villain.

How precisely my Lady had done her work.

“You weren’t supposed to know,” Ien whispered.

“Not know?” Liz laughed. “Have you forgotten that I’m a woman? I knew the second I saw Mari. You'll be a father.”

“I just want my family back,” Ien breathed. And then, barely audible, “Please. Please, Lizzy. For the friendship we used to have. If you’re still in there…” He looked at her, completely broken. Completely in her power. “You can have the world. Just give me my wife, and let start our family in peace.”

And just for a moment, I saw Liz’s eyes soften. Back to the person she’d been when I first met her. 

A dreamer.

Lost in her own world of blissful fantasies. 

And then my Queen turned on her heel. “You know how to save them,” she replied. “Uunz…” I stepped out of the shadows at the sound of my name. “Remind him that I am not his friend.” I bowed, spinning my knives and advancing on the wretch who had been a king.

Out in the hallway, Liz collapsed to the floor, pulling the shadows around her like a comforting blanket. 

And she cried.

For the first time in years, she cried.

She cried for a boy she had loved. For a boy who could have loved her.

She cried for a life she could have had.

For a life she’d thrown away in a moment of delusional ecstasy. 

She cried for a family she would never have.

And she cried for the monster she had become.

And then she stood up, Death’s voice in her mind. You will never be loved…this path is one of pain and hatred and regret…if there is anyone you care for, you’d best forget them now.

And Liz let her heart turn back to stone. 

And she started to plan.

Reveal hidden contents

Ah, I love Liz. And Ien. And all of them. I've been struggling to write Ien, so I skipped far far far ahead (this scene probably won't be in a full draft if I can ever write one, since it's mostly in 1st person) (also it's the perspective of a very minor character) but I had a lot of fun writing it!! As always, I'd love thoughts and/or suggestions!

That was really sad. Good job! I got some feels which means good words happened!

Listen to Once There Were Dragons while you read this. It's a beautiful song that never fails to make me cry.

Gone:

Spoiler

The girl looked up at her sister and smiled, gap-toothed and pigtailed. “It’s okay that you have to go. I know you’ll come back.”

And though she didn’t know it, her sister’s heart shattered. “Okay, Ann. I’ll come back. For you.”

And the girl giggled. “I won’t even put my toys on your bed! That way it’ll be ready for you, Izzy-wizzy.”

Izzy laughed and tousled her sister’s hair, pulling her in for a tight hug. “Make sure you help Mom and Dad with the chores, okay? You know Mom has trouble sweeping the floor since she hurt her back, and Dad sometimes forgets that dishes need soap, and—”

Ann rolled her eyes. “I know, I know!”

The older girl gave her a small smile. “Bye?”

“Bye!”

And then Izzy grabbed her bags, and stepped into the crowd. Ann watched her beautiful sister fade into just one more person, just one more traveler, and then she turned and walked slowly back to the car. And she saw the world around her get blurry, and started to feel something warm and wet on her cheeks. She climbed into the car and gave her mom a hug, then promptly fell asleep.  

Izzy found herself alone, yet surrounded by people. She smiled bravely and boarded her plane. And flew, alone. And landed, alone. And got on the train, alone. She made it to her aunt’s, and escaped a flurry of tight hugs from people she barely knew by pleading “jetlag”. She collected her car, and was on her way. Alone. She made her way to campus, alone. Found her room. Started unpacking her clothes. And found a picture of her smiling little sister. And she smiled back. 

Ann woke up at home, and looked across the room. To an empty bed. To a place where her sister used to be, and wasn’t anymore. She got up. Made her bed. Paused, then went upstairs. She made breakfast, and while setting the table she paused. Only three plates. Not four. She put one back.

Izzy rarely had time to think about her family anymore. There were so many new things to be doing, so many new friends and new people and new classes and new…everything. Her roommates were fun, her classes were hard, and she was trying to get a job. But once in a while, there was a moment of quiet. Her roommates would be out, and she’d find herself alone. She’d look up from her computer and wait to hear laughing, or talking, or the tv. She’d look for stuffed animals on the floor. She’d walk in expecting to smell food. And there’d be none.

“It must be nice having your sister gone!”

Ann smiled and nodded. “Yeah. I get the room all to myself,” she added, as if she needed to convince this adult she didn’t even care about that she really was glad. Or maybe she was trying to convince herself. The lady smiled, nodded, then turned away and kept talking to Ann’s mom, and Ann looked down at her hands. Her nails were unpainted and chewed on. Izzy used to paint them for her. 

Izzy wasn’t the type to get homesick. But alone in a new place, and aware of how temporary it all was…it was hard not to miss the security of a safe home.

It took months for Ann to understand it. 

The change.

To understand that Izzy wasn’t coming back, at least, not for good. She and her sister would never again share a room. Things were different, and they could never go back to the way they were before. 

But life didn’t stop.

It didn’t matter how much she cried or dreamed or wished for things to go back. Time was as stubborn as a three year old boy, and it wouldn’t pause or go back. Her heart was breaking. But…she had to keep living. No one stopped because she was hurting. So Ann only cried at night, when there was no one to see her. And when they called Izzy, who was always so happy, Ann smiled and laughed with her, and sometimes she would close her eyes and imagine they were all in the room together, instead of separated by hundreds of miles.

So Ann grew.

And Izzy did, too.

And though their roots were entwined, their hearts grew apart. 

When Izzy came to visit, she stayed in the guest room.

When Ann needed to cry, she called a friend. Not her sister.

And years later, Ann found a picture in the bottom of a drawer. It was wrinkled and torn, and its bright colors were faded. 

But there were girls in the picture. Two of them. A child with pigtails. And a young woman with a suitcase.

And Ann cried.

For a life she’d lost.

For a sister who hadn’t come back.

And with a little bit of guilt. Because she was happy, even though all had changed. Because she had lost the parts of her that used to form all that she was.

And because she’d become someone new without them.

And then Ann put the picture on her mirror, and picked up her phone, and called her sister.

And Izzy stepped away from the cradle of a sleeping child, and smiled at the sound of her sister’s voice.

And hours later,

After some laughter,

And some tears,

They both felt as if parts of them that had died long ago were reborn.

And their eyes shone a little brighter that day.

And Ann looked at the picture on her mirror and she smiled. 

And though so much had changed, not all that had been before was lost.

Picking up a shirt from the bed that had been Izzy’s, Ann cleared a place for her sister, in her room and in her heart.

Because, she realized, that’s what home is. Somewhere there’s always a place for you, no matter where you wander or who you bring back with you.

And Izzy was always welcome home.

Spoiler

...If I don't have a Liz scene here tomorrow, someone please poke me with the writing stick.

Also...I like writing creepy things...if anyone has any creepy prompts for me, I would appreciate and use them :) 

3 minutes ago, Edema Rue said:

Listen to Once There Were Dragons while you read this. It's a beautiful song that never fails to make me cry.

Gone:

Hide contents

The girl looked up at her sister and smiled, gap-toothed and pigtailed. “It’s okay that you have to go. I know you’ll come back.”

And though she didn’t know it, her sister’s heart shattered. “Okay, Ann. I’ll come back. For you.”

And the girl giggled. “I won’t even put my toys on your bed! That way it’ll be ready for you, Izzy-wizzy.”

Izzy laughed and tousled her sister’s hair, pulling her in for a tight hug. “Make sure you help Mom and Dad with the chores, okay? You know Mom has trouble sweeping the floor since she hurt her back, and Dad sometimes forgets that dishes need soap, and—”

“Bye!”

And then Izzy grabbed her bags, and stepped into the crowd. Ann watched her beautiful sister fade into just one more person, just one more traveler, and then she turned and walked slowly back to the car. And she saw the world around her get blurry, and started to feel something warm and wet on her cheeks. She climbed into the car and gave her mom a hug, then promptly fell asleep.  

Izzy found herself alone, yet surrounded by people. She smiled bravely and boarded her plane. And flew, alone. And landed, alone. And got on the train, alone. She made it to her aunt’s, and escaped a flurry of tight hugs from people she barely knew by pleading “jetlag”. She collected her car, and was on her way. Alone. She made her way to campus, alone. Found her room. Started unpacking her clothes. And found a picture of her smiling little sister. And she smiled back. 

Ann woke up at home, and looked across the room. To an empty bed. To a place where her sister used to be, and wasn’t anymore. She got up. Made her bed. Paused, then went upstairs. She made breakfast, and while setting the table she paused. Only three plates. Not four. She put one back.

Izzy rarely had time to think about her family anymore. There were so many new things to be doing, so many new friends and new people and new classes and new…everything. Her roommates were fun, her classes were hard, and she was trying to get a job. But once in a while, there was a moment of quiet. Her roommates would be out, and she’d find herself alone. She’d look up from her computer and wait to hear laughing, or talking, or the tv. She’d look for stuffed animals on the floor. She’d walk in expecting to smell food. And there’d be none.

Ann smiled and nodded. “Yeah. I get the room all to myself,” she added, as if she needed to convince this adult she didn’t even care about that she really was glad. Or maybe she was trying to convince herself. The lady smiled, nodded, then turned away and kept talking to Ann’s mom, and Ann looked down at her hands. Her nails were unpainted and chewed on. Izzy used to paint them for her. 

Izzy wasn’t the type to get homesick. But alone in a new place, and aware of how temporary it all was…it was hard not to miss the security of a safe home.

The change.

To understand that Izzy wasn’t coming back, at least, not for good. She and her sister would never again share a room. Things were different, and they could never go back to the way they were before. 

But life didn’t stop.

It didn’t matter how much she cried or dreamed or wished for things to go back. Time was as stubborn as a three year old boy, and it wouldn’t pause or go back. Her heart was breaking. But…she had to keep living. No one stopped because she was hurting. So Ann only cried at night, when there was no one to see her. And when they called Izzy, who was always so happy, Ann smiled and laughed with her, and sometimes she would close her eyes and imagine they were all in the room together, instead of separated by hundreds of miles.

So Ann grew.

And Izzy did, too.

And years later, Ann found a picture in the bottom of a drawer. It was wrinkled and torn, and its bright colors were faded. 

But there were girls in the picture. Two of them. A child with pigtails. And a young woman with a suitcase.

And Ann cried.

For a life she’d lost.

And with a little bit of guilt. Because she was happy, even though all had changed. Because she had lost the parts of her that used to form all that she was.

And then Ann put the picture on her mirror, and picked up her phone, and called her sister.

And Izzy stepped away from the cradle of a sleeping child, and smiled at the sound of her sister’s voice.

And hours later,

After some laughter,

And some tears,

Picking up a shirt from the bed that had been Izzy’s, Ann cleared a place for her sister, in her room and in her heart.

Because, she realized, that’s what home is. Somewhere there’s always a place for you, no matter where you wander or who you bring back with you.

Hide contents

...If I don't have a Liz scene here tomorrow, someone please poke me with the writing stick.

Also...I like writing creepy things...if anyone has any creepy prompts for me, I would appreciate and use them :) 

That was beautiful, just absolutely beautiful ❤️

28 minutes ago, Edema Rue said:

Gone:

Hide contents

“Bye!”

The change.

But life didn’t stop.

So Ann grew.

And Izzy did, too.

And Ann cried.

For a life she’d lost.

And hours later,

After some laughter,

And some tears,

Hide contents

That hit hard, especially the beginning.

*pokes with writing stick*

Umm… someone being strangled, then realizing it’s their own hands? That could be interesting.

You people are absolutely insane. I love it. I would join you all on a regular basis but this place confuses me and I'm nowhere near as talented as Eddie so.....

CONTINUE!!!!!!!!

Love you sis.

Edited by Mini Eddie

1 hour ago, Edema Rue said:

Gone:

Reveal hidden contents

“Bye!”

The change.

But life didn’t stop.

So Ann grew.

And Izzy did, too.

And Ann cried.

For a life she’d lost.

And hours later,

After some laughter,

And some tears,

Reveal hidden contents

This made me feel strange emotions I don't know the words for.

Keep up the great work you're awesome

HI LIZ IS IN MY BRAIN GUYS AND I LOVE HER AND AAAHHHH LEMME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK <333

(also thanks so much for the kind feedback everyone, it makes my day every time :wub:)

Deal with Death:

Spoiler

Liz was standing on a flat plain. Completely featureless, and pure white. It had…worked? That, or she was dead…but she could still feel her body, back in the castle. She was alive, and in the domain of Death himself. Quite a feat. She opened her mouth to call out, but suddenly there was a figure next to her. He wore a long cloak.

“Hello, girl,” he said. He wasn’t angry, or cruel, or any of the things she’d expected. His voice sounded…young. Very young. But it was cracked and raspy…like a child with a cough.

“You are Death?” Liz asked neutrally. Best not to insult him…

“Why have you come?”

“I…” Liz cleared her throat. “I want to make a deal, my Lord.”

He snorted, flipping back his hood to reveal…a boy? Or an elderly man…why couldn’t she tell? “I am Death. I do not bargain or barter. There is no place here for a mortal.” 

Liz gaped at him, speechless. He looked like a little boy, but his pale skin was stretched tightly across his skull. His hands were the same way; skin like parchment, pulled around bones she could almost see…he would have looked ancient, only his eyes were brown and young and childish, and his white hair was thick and soft, and he looked...he looked like a child.

He smiled, and to Liz, it was as if his face was tearing in two. “What is it you want from me? Speak, mortal.”

Liz tried not to shiver under his gaze. “I’m sure you know what it is I want. Immortality.”

Death nodded, still smiling. “Why?”

Liz paused. She…hadn’t expected that. “I—”

“Well? Do you fear oblivion? Do you want to see the world? Do you want to watch your children and grandchildren and great grandchildren grow up?”

Liz shook her head slowly. “No. I don’t need to live a long time. I just need to be unable to be killed while I live. I need to be unable to die unless I choose to.”

“Quite a request…why do you think I would give you such a thing?”

Liz took a deep breath. “Because I’m willing to negotiate.”

“You will settle for less?”  He sounded curious. Almost like a little boy. But more deadly. Certain that he could kill her with a thought. But he was still talking…that was a good sign.

“No,” Liz said. “Unless you can convince me why I should…but I can offer you other things.”

His bright eyes dulled, his horrific smile fading. “I don’t want riches, mortal.” The flat plain around them rippled, as if it were a pool and a stone had been hurled into its center."

“I-I wasn’t going to offer them to you,” Liz said quickly. 

“And what else do you have to offer a god?” Death asked, his voice echoing and resonating. Liz dug her nails into her palms to keep herself from begging him to teach her the trick. 

“I can-I can serve you,” Liz squeaked. She wasn’t afraid, exactly, but her heart was pounding, and her breath was coming quicker. 

His laugh was dry, like dust blowing across ancient bones. “Serve me? What could you possibly do for me?"

“Anything,” Liz said smoothly. Good. This was the way this was supposed to go… “Almost anything you ask of me, I will do.”

“So proud…” Death mused. “So certain that you are worth something…foolish mortal. You are nothing.”

Liz smiled. “But that’s not true, is it? You’re still talking to me. Surely there is something you desire. And if you give me what I want…I’ll do anything to get it to you.”

“You are a mortal,” Death said simply. “Your service cannot accomplish anything of value.”

“How can I prove myself to you?” Liz asked, frustrated. “I’m here, aren’t I? When did you last speak to a mortal like this?”

Death paused, then nodded. “You make a good point.” Then he…he didn’t step forward, not exactly. It was more that…one second he was standing several feet away, and the next he was right in front of her face. The person she’d been once would have run, would have stumbled and fallen and wept in terror. Liz was suddenly aware of just how much she’d changed since leaving the Academy. She didn’t even flinch. She stared into Death’s cold gaze, and he smiled again. Something red dripped from a tear at the corner of his mouth. 

He raised a hand and pressed three fingers to her forehead. He was cold as ice, waxy as a corpse, and yet Liz would swear she felt each hard bone inside his fingers. Three lines of raw frost shot into her mind, and she inhaled sharply. Death sorted through her mind, tore through every memory, lived through every moment. And then he pulled his hand away, and stepped back, still smiling.

“You live like a goddess.”

Liz blinked, caught off guard. “I-do I, now?”

“You are weak,” he added, “but you have spirit, and you see beyond your own pain.”

She opened her mouth to argue, then stopped. “I am willing to learn,” she said, bowing her head. And then Death was before her again, and he put a finger under her chin and tipped her face up, so that she was looking him in the eye. 

“Your life is yours,” He said. “As you have desired. But I have a condition, and I will not negotiate.”

Liz nodded, heart pounding. This was the moment that would make or break all that came after. “Tell me.”

“You will return to the world, as though all is as it was. Anything that ought to kill you will not. And in return…when you are through with your life, you will replace me.”

That was…unexpected, to say the least. “You want me to become Death,” Liz said flatly.

He snorted. “You don’t see it yet. Becoming a deity…it appeals to you, I can tell, but little mortal…it weighs on you. It turns your heart to stone and grinds it to dust. To see so many others go beyond daily, and be eternally denied rest of your own…I am ready to sleep, little mortal.”

That made sense. How much do I want this? It wasn’t the first time Liz had asked herself the question, but it was the first time she’d really thought about it. She’d already given up years of her life, given up her love, given up any possibility of trying something else, all for this silly bet. Was it worth giving up the promise of an inevitable death, too? But Liz slowly started to smile. Siylna had once promised a merchant’s son that she would become a goddess…how funny, that Liz should be the one to actually do it. They always called her a dreamer. Naive. Hoping for things that could not, should not, be. 

Let the cynics live.

Let them follow their neat, safe paths.

Liz would barge into the forest, and she would travel places no mortal could even dream of. 

And, when she thought about it, that was all she’d ever really wanted.

“I’ll do it,” she said simply.

Death nodded, as if he’d known what she’d say. He probably did. “You must be taught. You will come to me for training twice every mortal month until I deem you satisfactory.”  He was silent for a long moment, and Liz suddenly became aware of how close he was to her. He met her eyes, and then he reached and his arms were around her, and then his lips were on hers and she panicked, desperate to get away, only she couldn’t move. She couldn’t move. She didn’t know why, didn’t know if it was because of the ice that spread through her, starting at his lips, or if she was afraid, or if perhaps it was a form of magic, or if maybe…if maybe she just wanted to be held. The plain around them lurched and quacked, as though they were at the eye of a storm. Darkness spread along it, like blood through veins, and it seemed as if this whole world were alive with the emotion Death would not show.

It lasted eternities. She felt as if lifetimes passed while they stood there. Death was hard and bony, waxy and cold, and yet he made her feel so warm, so alive…like something was burning within her, a fire that could overcome the world if she weren’t there to keep it inside, if he weren’t there to block it with his cold. She couldn’t even blink, could only stand there and feel him laying his claim on her…but, it was over far too soon.

Death stepped back, looking satisfied. “You are mine,” he whispered. “But remember, Heiress, that from now on you will never be loved. This path is one of pain and hatred and regret, and now you belong to me and no one else. If there is anyone you care for, you’d best forget them now.”

And then, without ceremony, he turned, and then he was gone, and Liz was left alone with fire in her stomach and ice on her tongue.

Liz sat up in bed. Uunz, faithful Uunz, was by her side. Blood was soaked into the floorboards, all that remained of the ritual. 

“Did it…did it work, my Queen?”

Liz blinked, trying to clear the memory of a god from her mind. She flicked a dagger out of her sleeve and into her hand, and without hesitation, she slit her own throat. 

It hurt, hurt so badly she was convinced she was about to die, and for a moment she was sure she’d been tricked, and then…fire raced up from her stomach, and it burned, burned worse than the cut itself, and then it turned to ice, ice so cold it burned like the fire, and…

And Liz reached a hand up to her healed throat.

And she smiled.

“And to think, they said my dreams would get me killed…”

Spoiler

I listened to this while writing a lot of this scene...heehee good music makes writing so much funner.

And...this scene. It's a really important scene, and it'll definitely get a ton of rewrites, because I need it to be epic. Right now, I don't love where it's at, but there are a few things I really like. It'll get there, and so for now you have draft one of Liz's deal with Death ❤️ 

11 minutes ago, Edema Rue said:

HI LIZ IS IN MY BRAIN GUYS AND I LOVE HER AND AAAHHHH LEMME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK <333

(also thanks so much for the kind feedback everyone, it makes my day every time :wub:)

Deal with Death:

Hide contents

Liz was standing on a flat plain. Completely featureless, and pure white. It had…worked? That, or she was dead…but she could still feel her body, back in the castle. She was alive, and in the domain of Death himself. Quite a feat. She opened her mouth to call out, but suddenly there was a figure next to her. He wore a long cloak.

“Hello, girl,” he said. He wasn’t angry, or cruel, or any of the things she’d expected. His voice sounded…young. Very young. But it was cracked and raspy…like a child with a cough.

“Why have you come?”

He snorted, flipping back his hood to reveal…a boy? Or an elderly man…why couldn’t she tell? “I am Death. I do not bargain or barter. There is no place here for a mortal.” 

Liz gaped at him, speechless. He looked like a little boy, but his pale skin was stretched tightly across his skull. His hands were the same way; skin like parchment, pulled around bones she could almost see…he would have looked ancient, only his eyes were brown and young and childish, and his white hair was thick and soft, and he looked...he looked like a child.

He smiled, and to Liz, it was as if his face was tearing in two. “What is it you want from me? Speak, mortal.”

Liz tried not to shiver under his gaze. “I’m sure you know what it is I want. Immortality.”

“Well? Do you fear oblivion? Do you want to see the world? Do you want to watch your children and grandchildren and great grandchildren grow up?”

Liz shook her head slowly. “No. I don’t need to live a long time. I just need to be unable to be killed while I live. I need to be unable to die unless I choose to.”

“You will settle for less?”  He sounded curious. Almost like a little boy. But more deadly. Certain that he could kill her with a thought. But he was still talking…that was a good sign.

“No,” Liz said. “Unless you can convince me why I should…but I can offer you other things.”

His bright eyes dulled, his horrific smile fading. “I don’t want riches, mortal.” The flat plain around them rippled, as if it were a pool and a stone had been hurled into its center."

“And what else do you have to offer a god?” Death asked, his voice echoing and resonating. Liz dug her nails into her palms to keep herself from begging him to teach her the trick. 

“I can-I can serve you,” Liz squeaked. She wasn’t afraid, exactly, but her heart was pounding, and her breath was coming quicker. 

His laugh was dry, like dust blowing across ancient bones. “Serve me? What could you possibly do for me?"

“Anything,” Liz said smoothly. Good. This was the way this was supposed to go… “Almost anything you ask of me, I will do.”

“So proud…” Death mused. “So certain that you are worth something…foolish mortal. You are nothing.”

Liz smiled. “But that’s not true, is it? You’re still talking to me. Surely there is something you desire. And if you give me what I want…I’ll do anything to get it to you.”

“You are a mortal,” Death said simply. “Your service cannot accomplish anything of value.”

“How can I prove myself to you?” Liz asked, frustrated. “I’m here, aren’t I? When did you last speak to a mortal like this?”

Death paused, then nodded. “You make a good point.” Then he…he didn’t step forward, not exactly. It was more that…one second he was standing several feet away, and the next he was right in front of her face. The person she’d been once would have run, would have stumbled and fallen and wept in terror. Liz was suddenly aware of just how much she’d changed since leaving the Academy. She didn’t even flinch. She stared into Death’s cold gaze, and he smiled again. Something red dripped from a tear at the corner of his mouth. 

He raised a hand and pressed three fingers to her forehead. He was cold as ice, waxy as a corpse, and yet Liz would swear she felt each hard bone inside his fingers. Three lines of raw frost shot into her mind, and she inhaled sharply. Death sorted through her mind, tore through every memory, lived through every moment. And then he pulled his hand away, and stepped back, still smiling.

“You are weak,” he added, “but you have spirit, and you see beyond your own pain.”

She opened her mouth to argue, then stopped. “I am willing to learn,” she said, bowing her head. And then Death was before her again, and he put a finger under her chin and tipped her face up, so that she was looking him in the eye. 

“Your life is yours,” He said. “As you have desired. But I have a condition, and I will not negotiate.”

Liz nodded, heart pounding. This was the moment that would make or break all that came after. “Tell me.”

“You will return to the world, as though all is as it was. Anything that ought to kill you will not. And in return…when you are through with your life, you will replace me.”

That was…unexpected, to say the least. “You want me to become Death,” Liz said flatly.

He snorted. “You don’t see it yet. Becoming a deity…it appeals to you, I can tell, but little mortal…it weighs on you. It turns your heart to stone and grinds it to dust. To see so many others go beyond daily, and be eternally denied rest of your own…I am ready to sleep, little mortal.”

That made sense. How much do I want this? It wasn’t the first time Liz had asked herself the question, but it was the first time she’d really thought about it. She’d already given up years of her life, given up her love, given up any possibility of trying something else, all for this silly bet. Was it worth giving up the promise of an inevitable death, too? But Liz slowly started to smile. Siylna had once promised a merchant’s son that she would become a goddess…how funny, that Liz should be the one to actually do it. They always called her a dreamer. Naive. Hoping for things that could not, should not, be. 

Let the cynics live.

Liz would barge into the forest, and she would travel places no mortal could even dream of. 

Death nodded, as if he’d known what she’d say. He probably did. “You must be taught. You will come to me for training twice every mortal month until I deem you satisfactory.”  He was silent for a long moment, and Liz suddenly became aware of how close he was to her. He met her eyes, and then he reached and his arms were around her, and then his lips were on hers and she panicked, desperate to get away, only she couldn’t move. She couldn’t move. She didn’t know why, didn’t know if it was because of the ice that spread through her, starting at his lips, or if she was afraid, or if perhaps it was a form of magic, or if maybe…if maybe she just wanted to be held. The plain around them lurched and quacked, as though they were at the eye of a storm. Darkness spread along it, like blood through veins, and it seemed as if this whole world were alive with the emotion Death would not show.

It lasted eternities. She felt as if lifetimes passed while they stood there. Death was hard and bony, waxy and cold, and yet he made her feel so warm, so alive…like something was burning within her, a fire that could overcome the world if she weren’t there to keep it inside, if he weren’t there to block it with his cold. She couldn’t even blink, could only stand there and feel him laying his claim on her…but, it was over far too soon.

Death stepped back, looking satisfied. “You are mine,” he whispered. “But remember, Heiress, that from now on you will never be loved. This path is one of pain and hatred and regret, and now you belong to me and no one else. If there is anyone you care for, you’d best forget them now.”

And then, without ceremony, he turned, and then he was gone, and Liz was left alone with fire in her stomach and ice on her tongue.

Liz sat up in bed. Uunz, faithful Uunz, was by her side. Blood was soaked into the floorboards, all that remained of the ritual. 

Liz blinked, trying to clear the memory of a god from her mind. She flicked a dagger out of her sleeve and into her hand, and without hesitation, she slit her own throat. 

It hurt, hurt so badly she was convinced she was about to die, and for a moment she was sure she’d been tricked, and then…fire raced up from her stomach, and it burned, burned worse than the cut itself, and then it turned to ice, ice so cold it burned like the fire, and…

And she smiled.

Hide contents

I listened to this while writing a lot of this scene...heehee good music makes writing so much funner.

And...this scene. It's a really important scene, and it'll definitely get a ton of rewrites, because I need it to be epic. Right now, I don't love where it's at, but there are a few things I really like. It'll get there, and so for now you have draft one of Liz's deal with Death ❤️ 

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH IT'S AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 hours ago, Edema Rue said:

Deal with Death:

Reveal hidden contents

“Why have you come?”

Let the cynics live.

And she smiled.

Reveal hidden contents

This is definitely your best Liz scene yet. And that's not a low bar.

8 hours ago, Edema Rue said:

Deal with Death:

Hide contents

“Why have you come?”

Let the cynics live.

And she smiled.

Hide contents

I love it!!!!!

51 minutes ago, Edema Rue said:

:wub:

Ack thank you guys!! It's fun to write with her when she's not the one in control, harder because it's a side of herself she usually shoves away, but fun!

I forget how terrifying your writing is. Until you bring back Liz. Every time. 

12 hours ago, Edema Rue said:

Deal with Death:

Reveal hidden contents

“Why have you come?”

Let the cynics live.

And she smiled.

Reveal hidden contents

Okay, this was just absolutely amazing! I always just love personifications of Death and this one was extra good/memorable/cool! 

On 1/14/2024 at 8:36 PM, Edema Rue said:

Gone:

Reveal hidden contents

“Bye!”

The change.

But life didn’t stop.

So Ann grew.

And Izzy did, too.

And Ann cried.

For a life she’d lost.

And hours later,

After some laughter,

And some tears,

Hide contents

Hehe, I've been re-listening to The Magnus Archives, so I've got plenty of creepy ideas. I'll give just a few that have different kinds of creepiness.

1. Old, brittle bones that audibly click and crunch when they move

2. Deafeningly loud silence

3. The creeping things far below that are better left unknown

Spoiler

ALSO, MAGNUS PROTOCOL COMES OUT IN TWO DAYS!! 

Just now, Wittles said:

Okay, this was just absolutely amazing! I always just love personifications of Death and this one was extra good/memorable/cool! 

Hehe, I've been re-listening to The Magnus Archives, so I've got plenty of creepy ideas. I'll give just a few that have different kinds of creepiness.

1. Old, brittle bones that audibly click and crunch when they move

2. Deafeningly loud silence

3. The creeping things far below that are better left unknown

Reveal hidden contents

ALSO, MAGNUS PROTOCOL COMES OUT IN TWO DAYS!! 

Thanks Wittles!! And ooo thanks for the prompts, I love TMA so. Storming. Much.

Spoiler

*dies* I KNOW I'VE HAD A COUNTDOWN ON MY PHONE FOR LIKE A MONTH, I'M SO EXCITED FOR IT AAAAAHHHHHH >:DDD

1 minute ago, Edema Rue said:

Thanks Wittles!! And ooo thanks for the prompts, I love TMA so. Storming. Much.

Hide contents

*dies* I KNOW I'VE HAD A COUNTDOWN ON MY PHONE FOR LIKE A MONTH, I'M SO EXCITED FOR IT AAAAAHHHHHH >:DDD

Somehow I'd forgotten how much I love that show.

Spoiler

I AM LITERALLY ABOUT TO EXPLODE I AM SO EXCITED TO SEE WHAT DIRECTION IT TAKES CUZ THE SPOOKY IS GONE NOW, BUT ITS STILL GONNA BE SPOOKY, AND JUSt A:LHF:GAHGAHFIHESG:IHSGH

2 minutes ago, Wittles said:

Somehow I'd forgotten how much I love that show.

Reveal hidden contents

I AM LITERALLY ABOUT TO EXPLODE I AM SO EXCITED TO SEE WHAT DIRECTION IT TAKES CUZ THE SPOOKY IS GONE NOW, BUT ITS STILL GONNA BE SPOOKY, AND JUSt A:LHF:GAHGAHFIHESG:IHSGH

Spoiler

ME TOOOOOOOOOOOOO DID YOU WATCH THEIR LIVESTREAM FROM LIKE 2 WEEKS AGO?? ONE OF THE MAIN CHARACTERS IS NAMED GWEN BUSHARD AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

1 minute ago, Edema Rue said:
  Hide contents

ME TOOOOOOOOOOOOO DID YOU WATCH THEIR LIVESTREAM FROM LIKE 2 WEEKS AGO?? ONE OF THE MAIN CHARACTERS IS NAMED GWEN BUSHARD AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Spoiler

NO I DIDNT AND WAIT WHAATTTTTT?????????????? WIAT DOES THAT MEAN ELIAS HAD A WIFE? A DAUGHTER?? WAIT WOULD IT BE JONAH PRETENDING TO BE ELIAS OR BEFORE OR WHAT???? WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?????? MY HEAD IS ABOUT TO EXPLODE WITH THE THEORIZING!!!!

54 minutes ago, Wittles said:
  Reveal hidden contents

NO I DIDNT AND WAIT WHAATTTTTT?????????????? WIAT DOES THAT MEAN ELIAS HAD A WIFE? A DAUGHTER?? WAIT WOULD IT BE JONAH PRETENDING TO BE ELIAS OR BEFORE OR WHAT???? WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?????? MY HEAD IS ABOUT TO EXPLODE WITH THE THEORIZING!!!!

Spoiler

I KNOW IM SO EXCITEDDDD

This is the video heehee…

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ld0sgmQXc4

Hey guys, so I know I haven’t written anything in a bit. Partially that’s because I’ve been so busy (spent 14 hours at the school yesterday 💀), but also…

I sorta maybe kinda? won a writing contest through teen author boot camp, which means that my story (and like 15 others that they chose) gets to be published in a short story anthology. But the way it works is that I get to go through it with a professional editor to make it even better, so my writing time (any that I have xD) is going to that. Anyway, I’ll hopefully have more with Liz soon, and maybe some other things too :)

5 minutes ago, Edema Rue said:

Hey guys, so I know I haven’t written anything in a bit. Partially that’s because I’ve been so busy (spent 14 hours at the school yesterday 💀), but also…

I sorta maybe kinda? won a writing contest through teen author boot camp, which means that my story (and like 15 others that they chose) gets to be published in a short story anthology. But the way it works is that I get to go through it with a professional editor to make it even better, so my writing time (any that I have xD) is going to that. Anyway, I’ll hopefully have more with Liz soon, and maybe some other things too :)

Yay that's amazing!!!!

13 minutes ago, Edema Rue said:

Wow, congratulations!

So, I learned something. Liz was a child once. 

A lesson:

Spoiler

Liz sat quietly on the wooden chair, looking at the man in front of her. He looked so sad. 

“I…I love you, Lizzy, okay? Whatever happens next, remember that.”

She frowned. “Papa, what…what did I do?”

“No, it isn’t your fault, Lizzy, I should’ve…I didn’t…it woulda happened eventually. Sometimes, my sweet girl, things happen, an’ we can’t stop ‘em. That don’t mean it makes us happy, yeah?”

“Okay,” Liz said, lip trembling. 

“You’re jus’ growing up, see? It’s not a bad thing, jus…you’re outgrowing our little world, my girl.”

She started to cry. “Papa, I’m sorry.”

“Ah, Lizzy…I think…I think ye need to go to the Academy.”

She froze. The Academy…a place from stories. And books, like the one she’d read, only hundreds of them. A place of learning… “Why?” She whispered. 

“Because…because yer so bright, you’ll only ever be sad if ye stay. An’…an’ maybe you’ll come back, like the innkeeper's wife. An’ maybe you won’t,” he said, scratching his beard. “But the way I figure, you’ll be happier tha’ way. An’…And your Ma would want you happy.”

“Papa?”

“Yeah?”

“I’m scared.”

He wrapped his arms around her, holding her close and safe. “Ye don’t have to go. I just wan’ you to be happy. An’…you aren’t happy here.”

“I want to go,” Liz said, “I’m just scared.”

“Me too,” he said. “But Darlla…Mrs. Inell will teach ye. And if ye want to stay, yer always welcome home.”

Mrs. Inell was plump and happy, everything you’d expect from an innkeeper’s wife and nothing you’d expect from an Academy graduate. But Liz went to her anyway, because her father told her too. And she winked, and wiped her hands on her apron, and gestured for Liz to follow. So she did.

“Are you sure…” Liz trailed off, gasping as she entered the basement. Where most inns had cellars filled with wine or food, hers was filled with books. There must have been hundreds of them. (There were 43).

Mrs. Inell laughed. “I can teach you what you need to survive the Academy. But if you want to get anything from it, you’ll need spirit of your own.” Liz nodded, determined. “You taught yourself to read. That’s a good start…but those were children’s tales. There is much you need to learn.”

Liz nodded apprehensively. “But you’ll teach me, right?”

“I will,” Mrs. Inell said, leaning forward and flicking Liz’s nose. “And for today, you need to learn about the other students.”

Liz frowned. “What do they have to do with anything, Mrs. Inell?”

She winked. “Oh, you can call me Darlla. Formality makes my head hurt, especially if we’re going to be spending so much time together.”

“Um. Okay. What do the students have to do with anything, Darlla?”

“Everything,” she replied with a wink. She seemed to do that a lot. “You see, nearly all of them will be rich, the sons and daughters of nobility. Mostly sons. And you…you are a poor girl from a village no one’s ever heard of.”

“Why does that matter?”

Darlla snorted. “Oh, Lizzy…” she shook her head fondly. “Status is an important thing, in most places.”

“Okay…”

“Let’s…let’s try something. If you saw a King, what would you do?”

Liz blinked. “Um. Curtsey?”

Darlla nodded. “Yes, but how? Show me, my dear.” Liz grabbed her cotton dress in her hands, bending her knees, and trying to spread her skirt at the same time…then she lost her balance, falling on her face. She stood back up, cheeks burning as Darlla laughed. “Girl, it’s a good thing you’ve never seen the King.” She gestured for Liz to sit, then stood up and smoothly curtseyed. Then did it again, then again. Liz could see no difference between them, but Darlla said, “The first is for royalty. The second, a high lord or lady. The third, an heir.”

Liz shook her head, awed. “And you just…know that? They all look the same to me!”

Darlla winked again. “That’s why I’m here to teach you, my dear. Now, shoulders back. Chin down, even when speaking to someone taller than you…”

Liz spent the next three hours relearning how to stand, how to speak, how to smile, how to laugh. It was exhausting; she felt completely useless. They didn’t even touch the books, just stood and sat and curtsied. Finally, though, Darlla nodded.

“You’ll be needing to get home now, I’m sure.”

Liz nodded. “Do people really…do people act like this all the time, at the Academy?”

“They do,” Darlla said with a smile. “And most other places, too. I know it’s tiring now, but the more you do it the easier it’ll get. And really, my dear, it’s the things you’re learning now that’ll help you the most. Practice talking the way I’ve showed you; otherwise, you’ll never be more than a farm girl with a lisp. The sooner you can learn these basics, the better you’ll get on at the Academy.”

Liz nodded again, determined to show this woman she was worth something. “Yes, ma’am.” She stood up to go, then turned back. “I…do I really have to curtsy to everyone I meet there?”

Darlly patted the seat next to her, and Liz sat back down. “Look at me,” she said. Liz obeyed. “The Academy is…utterly unique. No where else will you find so many proud youth forced to reside together. They’ll want you to bow. If you let them, they’ll gleefully make you crawl through the mud, just for fun. You can bow to all of them, or you can bow to none of them. I would that it were different, dear, but it isn’t.” 

Liz frowned. “I don’t want to bow to any of them. But…won’t I get in trouble for that?”

Darlla smiled, abruptly pulling her into a tight hug. “I have a hunch you’ll get into plenty of trouble before you're through with the Academy. And no matter what your father says, I wouldn't want it any other way. And I don't think you do, either."

Spoiler

*giggles* "won't I get in trouble" I love her character arc...it's so much fun.

Coming up next: possibly more things from the beginning, or maybe maaaaaayyybe  Some Liz/Ien romance.