Affinities of Soulcasting

Frustration

So apparently even Knights have an affinity with certain essences when they soulcast

Spoiler

Questioner 1

Do all Soulcasters risk turning into the element or is it only those using the device?

Brandon Sanderson

All Soulcasters have an affinity but the ones using the device are locked down much more than the Soulcasters who are Knights Radiant.

Questioner 1

So they are protected from being turned into--

Brandon Sanderson

Oh no they-- I wouldn't say protected... *clarification* Protected is the wrong term but that event, the savanthood and how it affects them and things like that is much less pronounced if you are a [Knight].

Questioner 1

Or is that counteracted by the healing as well?

Brandon Sanderson

Healing doesn't have to do with it because-- in cosmere terms there's nothing wrong with your body, your spirit is actually drifting, and so it's not hurting you physically by what's happening with the magics. So it's not the healing but if you have an active bond with a spren it takes a little different path. Let's just say, in simple terms--

Questioner 1

You are not losing body parts to smoke.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, you are not losing body parts to smoke. 

Questioner 1

What timeframe does it happen for the normal Soulcasters then?

Brandon Sanderson

For normal Soulcasters? It takes-- I mean, you've seen it happening in the books. We are talking [about] a process of years even decades, depending on the person. It happens to some--

Questioner 2

Depending on how often they Soulcast?

Brandon Sanderson

It depends on how often they Soulcast, and it depends on the person. 

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/259/#e8742

That really peaked my interest, and just for fun I thought I'd try to work out Jasnah's affinities.

In Kharbranth Shallan mentions that Jasnah is better at making crystals, smoke and fire.

And looking at her actions on screen that seems to fit.

Jasnah has enough skill with fire to burn words onto a sheet of paper, and turns the footpads into fire, and smoke. Even turning them into smoke from a distance.

And she was able to use infectious soulcasting with quartz during the battle of Theylan fields.

Just now, NerdyAarakocra said:

Yeah, that seems like a good assessment. She soulcast wine into a crystal paperweight. However, she has been seen Soulcasting blood, oil, and metal. Blood to save Shallan, oil and bronze during the Battle of Theylan Field.

Radiants can soulcast any of the essences, I was more looking for things she was better at.

1 minute ago, NerdyAarakocra said:

Yeah, and I agree. She did soulcast oil a lot during the Battle of Theylan Field, tho.

I wonder what Shallan's affinities are. The first thing that she soulcast was blood, so that might be one.

She also turned the Winds Pleasure into water, which is the same essence, so probably.

The only other thing she soulcasts is the doorknob I think, but it doesn't tell us what she made it.

Just now, Frustration said:

She also turned the Winds Pleasure into water, which is the same essence, so probably.

The only other thing she soulcasts is the doorknob I think, but it doesn't tell us what she made it.

Wait, when was the doorknob?

Also, I think that it's mentioned that Shallan had tried soulcasting Lavis grain during the Shadesmar journey in RoW.