Drawer 10-2 Sapphire (Ominous)

Brightlord Beezus

“My spren claims that recording this will be good for me, so here I go. Everyone says I will swear the Fourth Ideal soon, and in so doing, earn my armor. I simply don’t think that I can. Am I not supposed to want to help people? —From drawer 10-12, sapphire” ~epigraph for Oathbringer 86

Anyone else find this chapter opening to be extremely ominous? I think that it may refer to the 4th ideal of the Elsecallers due to their utilitarian and somewhat Machiavellian attitude. But the idea that the 4th Ideal of an order goes against the idea of protecting others is wild. Noticing this on a fresh read through of OB. Anyone have thoughts? Not much on the coppermind regarding this. 

17 minutes ago, Brightlord Beezus said:

“My spren claims that recording this will be good for me, so here I go. Everyone says I will swear the Fourth Ideal soon, and in so doing, earn my armor. I simply don’t think that I can. Am I not supposed to want to help people? —From drawer 10-12, sapphire” ~epigraph for Oathbringer 86

Anyone else find this chapter opening to be extremely ominous? I think that it may refer to the 4th ideal of the Elsecallers due to their utilitarian and somewhat Machiavellian attitude. But the idea that the 4th Ideal of an order goes against the idea of protecting others is wild. Noticing this on a fresh read through of OB. Anyone have thoughts? Not much on the coppermind regarding this. 

Have you read RoW?

It refers to the 4th ideal of the windrunners "I accept that there will be those I cannot protect."

This ideal is a way going against the idea of helping all people and the thought of the knight that wrote this are similar to Kaladin`s struggle sweearing this oath.

10 hours ago, Frustration said:

The order of the ones recording in the gem archive is shown by what gem they use.

Sapphire is for Windrunners

Smokestone for Skybreakers

Rubies for Dustringers, and so on.

10 hours ago, Brightlord Beezus said:

Oh I didn’t know that!!!! That’s really cool. 

It connects to the table of Essences in the Ars Arcanum. Each order is connected to a gemstone, which is also the color of the glow of their Shards. Foreshadowed back in WoR ch 72:

Spoiler

Kaladin stared at the glistening length of metal, which dripped with condensation from its summoning. It glowed softly the color of garnet along several faint lines down its length.

Shallan had a Shardblade.

Where Garnet is the gemstone of the Lightweavers and the color their shards glow. . .

• 5 months later...
On 2/4/2023 at 6:04 PM, Treamayne said:

It connects to the table of Essences in the Ars Arcanum. Each order is connected to a gemstone, which is also the color of the glow of their Shards. Foreshadowed back in WoR ch 72:

Reveal hidden contents

Kaladin stared at the glistening length of metal, which dripped with condensation from its summoning. It glowed softly the color of garnet along several faint lines down its length.

Shallan had a Shardblade.

Where Garnet is the gemstone of the Lightweavers and the color their shards glow. . .

Its pretty explicitly shown as far back as WoK in Dalinar's visions with the Midnight Essences (Starfalls) where the Windrunner's plate glows blue and the Stoneward's plate glows topaz

9 minutes ago, Green Hoodie Mistborn said:

Its pretty explicitly shown as far back as WoK in Dalinar's visions with the Midnight Essences (Starfalls) where the Windrunner's plate glows blue and the Stoneward's plate glows topaz

Very true - I just wanted to use an example from the main characters, but the Vision example works very well too:

Spoiler

WoK Ch 19:

It was like a star rock, dropping at an incredible speed. Dalinar cried out as the light hit the ground a short distance away, cracking the stone, spraying rock chips in the air. The ground shook. The beasts froze.

Dalinar turned numbly to the side, then he watched in amazement as the light stood up, limbs unfolding. It wasn’t a star at all. It was a man—a man in glowing blue Shardplate, bearing a Shardblade, trails of Stormlight rising from his body.

The creatures hissed furiously, suddenly throwing themselves at the figure, ignoring Dalinar and the other two. The Shardbearer raised his Blade and struck forward with skill, stepping into the attacks.

Dalinar lay stunned. This was unlike any Shardbearer he had ever seen. The Plate glowed with an even blue light, and glyphs—some familiar, others not—were etched into the metal. They trailed blue vapor.

<snip>

Dalinar lurched, turning to see a woman in delicate Shardplate kneeling beside him, holding something bright. It was a topaz entwined with a heliodor, both set into a fine metal framework, each stone as big as a man’s hand. The woman had light tan eyes that almost seemed to glow in the night, and she wore no helm. Her hair was pulled back into a bun. She raised a hand and touched his forehead.

Ice washed across him. Suddenly, his pain was gone.

The woman reached out and touched Taffa. The flesh on her arm regrew in an eyeblink; the torn muscle remained where it was, but other flesh just grew where the chunks had been torn out. The skin knitted up over it without flaw, and the female Shardbearer wiped away the blood and torn flesh with a white cloth.

Taffa looked up, awed. “You came,” she whispered. “Bless the Almighty.”

The female Shardbearer stood; her armor glowed with an even amber light. She smiled and turned to the side, a Shardblade forming from mist into her hand as she rushed to aid her companion.

A woman Shardbearer, Dalinar thought. 

WoR Ch 4:

“I’m in the Purelake, I think,” he said, under his breath. “Warm water that only comes up to the knees, no signs of land anywhere. It’s dusk, though, so I can’t see much.

<snip>

“We’re approaching another group of soldiers who stand in the water, holding spears wardingly in all directions. There are perhaps a dozen of them; I’m in the company of another dozen. And . . . yes, there’s someone in the middle of them. Shardbearer. Glowing armor.”

Not just a Shardbearer. Radiant. A knight in resplendent Shardplate that glowed with a deep red at the joints and in certain markings. Armor did that in the shadowdays. This vision was taking place before the Recreance.

Like all Shardplate, the armor was distinctive. With that skirt of chain links, those smooth joints, the vambraces that extended back just so . . . Storms, that looked like Adolin’s armor, though this armor pulled in more at the waist. Female? Dalinar couldn’t tell for certain, as the faceplate was down.

“Form up!” the knight ordered as Dalinar’s group arrived

56 minutes ago, Treamayne said:

Very true - I just wanted to use an example from the main characters, but the Vision example works very well too:

Reveal hidden contents

WoK Ch 19:

WoR Ch 4:

For some reason in my mind, the Radiant in the pure lake vision was a Stoneward as well, not sure why I always mix the Starfalls vision Stoneward up with the Dustbringer in the Pure Lake vision

4 minutes ago, Green Hoodie Mistborn said:

For some reason in my mind, the Radiant in the pure lake vision was a Stoneward as well, not sure why I always mix the Starfalls vision Stoneward up with the Dustbringer in the Pure Lake vision

Probably because the Starfall vision mentions the Topaz and Heliodor in the Fabrial. So you have Sapphire, Topaz, Heliodor and Amber all mentioned in quick succession - and, of course, we don't see the possibible Dustbringer use any surges in the Purelake vision (just the "deep red" desciption) so it's easy to conflate all of the references. 

Just now, Scars of Hathsin said:

I am pretty sure their eye colour may change as well, and I think read somewhere about Szeth's eyes going grey when he consumed Stormlight

Not sure if they turn grey, but their eyes do lighten when they consume Stormlight, and actively change to the Order's colour once they summon a Shardblade, for up to a few hours.