Where does TotES fit in the chronology?

captbunzo

Adding a clarifying question here- how much time do we think has passed from when the events in the story happened to when Hoid is telling the story to his audience?? I’m guessing both events are in the same general area of the cosmere timeline, but there’s probably been a significant amount of time between I would think.

2 hours ago, CognitiveShadow said:

Adding a clarifying question here- how much time do we think has passed from when the events in the story happened to when Hoid is telling the story to his audience?? I’m guessing both events are in the same general area of the cosmere timeline, but there’s probably been a significant amount of time between I would think.

I was also thinking that Hoid must have spent some time with Tress afterwards as his tale includes details of events that occurred when he was not present.

5 hours ago, CognitiveShadow said:

I think Brandon has said less than a century more than a decade. And given the context clues in the stories Hoid is most likely telling the story to a realmatically aware group on First of the Sun around the time Sixth of the Dusk takes place (maybe between it and the sequel chapter released).

Edited by lacrossedeamon

4 hours ago, lacrossedeamon said:

I think Brandon has said less than a century more than a decade. And given the context clues in the stories Hoid is most likely telling the story to a realmatically aware group on First of the Sun around the time Sixth of the Dusk takes place (maybe between it and the sequel chapter released).

I am actually hoping we get to see Hoid starting to tell this story on FoS in the sequel as a fun tie back. 

On 1/24/2023 at 10:00 AM, StormingTexan said:

I am actually hoping we get to see Hoid starting to tell this story on FoS in the sequel as a fun tie back. 

Yeah, I hope that too! I wondered if the audience was dusk himself, as he embarks on his journey that he starts at the beginning of the sequel chapter. After all, the lesson fits--have to learn to ask for help if you want to be a hero, has to be a team--kind of the lesson Dusk always needs to learn because his culture (and personality) is so independent and solo-effort-focused. But that may be a stretch!