17TH SHARD PHOTO-EDIT-ATHON!!!!!!!!!!!!!

danex

WELLLLLLLLLLCOME BACK one and all to your faaaaaaavorite fictional television channel residing within a forum website, DannnnexTV!
You might be surprised to see us again, after the unfortunate cancellation of our last show, the MemeComp, but fret not, thanks to a new advertising deal, the station is back up and running!

This broadcast is brought to you by Build-A-Dannnnex! Create your very own Dannnnex today! conditions apply.

And now, it does me great pleasure to announce that not only is the station back up and running, but we have a NEW SHOW for you all! 

Introducing, THE PHOTO-EDIT-ATHON!!!! name subject to change. 

This new competition stems from the ill-fated MemeComp, but with a MULTITUDE of new features and exciting twists, including but not limited to: Guest Judges! A Scoreboard! Event Rounds! And MUCH MUCH more!!!

Thank you all for your continued support of this station, you can find the details of the competition after the break.

CONCEPT:

Spoiler

This will follow the same format as the original MemeComp, I announce a prompt, and you all create an edited image that matches the prompt. (Colloquially this would be called a 'photoshop' but I hate adobe so this is the only time you'll see me use that word.)

For example, the prompt might be: 'Kaladin + Wild West', to which you might submit something like this:

Spoiler

YeeHawKal.thumb.png.625dddb83b8daf79ad6eda5ae37bccea.png

(For reference, this took me 3 minutes and 4 google searches.)

GUEST JUDGES:

Spoiler

One of the major flaws of the meme competition is that I was the only one ever judging the submissions. To rectify that, there will be 2 guest judges for each competition! "Who are the guest judges?" you might be asking. Well, the answer is...YOU! DM me to be put on the list! As of right now, that list is completely empty, so the first two people to DM me will be our first two judges! (I ask that you DM me, as I would like judges to remain anonymous until their respective round has ended.)

Eventually, I might implement a rule for who can be a judge, like you'll have to have won at least one previous competition or something, but as of right now, there are no requirements, absolutely anyone can be a judge.

The judges will be awarding 1st place, 2nd place, and 3rd place awards. No rankings will be given beyond that. The judges will also have the ability to award JudgeChoice awards however they wish. More on that in the Leaderboard section. 

Judges will also have a say in choosing the prompt for the round. 

SCORING:

Spoiler

You might remember from the meme competition, I had a rather complicated system of judging each submission. WELL NO MORE! This one is going to be as simple as "I like this one more than this one", so no more worrying about meeting the rubric! "Dannex, this seems like it heavily favors your own biases", well that's where the guest judges come in! You'll notice that there are 2 guest judges and only 1 of me. So my opinions can consistently be overruled by the other 2 judges. In this way, I'm almost more of an organizer, and the guest judges will be the ones actually deciding the winners.

LEADERBOARD:

Spoiler

That's right folks, we're gonna have a CONSISTENT and CONSTANTLY UPDATING leaderboard! This leaderboard will keep track of each player's points throughout this season of the competition and will be found at the bottom of this post. Points will be awarded as follows:

1st place: 5 points
2nd place: 3 points
3rd place: 1 point
JudgeChoice: Varying points.

JudgeChoice awards work as follows: Judges can award ANY NUMBER of points to ANY NUMBER of competitors, with a catch. The points they give out will be SUBTRACTED from their own point total on the leaderboard. In this way, points act as a currency here on the show. As of right now, points can only be transferred between players via JudgeChoice awards (meaning you can only transfer points in this way if you are currently a judge), but I may come up with other scenarios.

You may be worried that if points have no value besides leaderboard rankings, judges will have no incentive to be conservative with their JudgeChoice awards, which could mess up the whole economy. This is currently true, but here are some things that points may be used for in the future:

Signing up as a judge has a point minimum requirement
Spend a certain amount of points to choose the next prompt
Spend a certain amount of points to get a head start on the prompt, learning what it is before your competitors
Spend a certain amount of points to start an Event Round
Spend a certain amount of points to get a consultation from a current judge

and other similar things. As you can see, judges will want to hand out JudgeChoice awards rarely, as doing them too much could cause them to not be able to spend them on something else.

EVENT ROUNDS:

Spoiler

Event rounds are going to be occasional events that simply differ from the norm. For example:

Double points
Half as much time to complete your submission
Team Game, where groups of submissions would be graded as one
Doubles Game, where two players work together on a single submission

and whatever else I think of in the moment. These will be relatively rare.

SIGNUPS:

Spoiler

THERE ARE NO SIGNUPS!
JUST FIND THE MOST RECENT PROMPT AND GO FOR IT
WOOOO!!!!!!

ROUND LENGTH:

Spoiler

Round lengths will vary depending on the complexity of the prompt and the availability of the judges. The longest one would ever be would be a week. Hopefully, they'd be much shorter.

Rounds will automatically end if all players submit, so I encourage players to not wait until the deadline and submit as soon as possible. If you find that you will not be able to submit by the deadline, please inform the judges beforehand, so that the round doesn't continue needlessly. (Failure to submit an image without informing the judges beforehand may result in a penalty, such as temporarily being banned from participating in future rounds)

SUBMISSIONS:

Spoiler

Those of you who participated in the meme competition will remember that we had a very complicated system using @17thShardCommunalAccount, an account I made purely for the meme competition. That process was way too complicated.

For this competition, simply post your image in this thread inside a spoiler box.

IF YOU HAVE NOT SUBMITTED YOUR OWN IMAGE YET, DO NOT LOOK AT THE SUBMISSIONS OF OTHERS.
IF IT IS FOUND THAT YOU LOOKED AT OTHERS' SUBMISSIONS BEFORE SUBMITTING YOURSELF, YOU WILL BE DISQUALIFIED AND BANNED FROM ALL FUTURE COMPETITIONS. 

Obviously, we want to prevent blatant plagiarism. However, preventing accidental inspiration is just as vital imo. Each submission should be ENTIRELY original, and subconsciously taking inspiration from another's work would not accurately reflect that.

Also, this is to avoid player discouragement. If you look at someone's submission, and it is of obviously higher quality than what you currently have, you could be discouraged from even submitting your image, which we don't want. All skill levels are welcome here. 

BUT DANNNEX, I DON'T KNOW HOW TO EDIT IMAGES / DON'T HAVE ANY SOFTWARE:

Spoiler

Photopea | Online Photo Editor

this website is amazing, it has nearly every single photoshop feature, is FREE, and is web-based. They also have a really useful Learn page. where you can find instructions on using most of the site's features.

Also, the website is meant to be a photoshop clone, so you can search "how to do ___ in photoshop" and can usually apply the results directly to photopea.

CLARIFICATIONS:

Spoiler

If you have any questions, ask them in the thread below. Answers will also be placed here.

LIVE UPDATES:

This section of the post will be updated as individual games progress, including information about current player signups, leaderboard rankings, current prompt details, event rounds, and more. Check back regularly. 

The **REAL** Round 1 has started, including a few format changes to make this a more seemless process. Signups are no longer a thing, anyone can submit anytime before the deadline.

The prompt for this week is "STORMLIGHT + STAR WARS"
The deadline is this Saturday, June 3rd, at Midnight MST

Edited by dannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnex

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, The Aspiring Archivist said:

What is this?

man if only there was a way to tell what a topic was made for

like if topics had a post somewhere explaining why it was made

like an “original post” or something

hmmmmm

Alright, the player list has filled, so we now have 48 hours for any remaining players to join, and then the prompt will be revealed and the game will start. 

Prompt will be revealed at 8pm MST, Tuesday.

also, 

@everyone 
1. @Channelknight Fadran
2. @xinoehp512
3. @Cinnamon
4. @solarcat93
5. @Sequence
6. @RaeTheRaven
7. @Cash67

make sure you’re following the thread

8 hours ago, dannnnnex said:

Alright, the player list has filled, so we now have 48 hours for any remaining players to join, and then the prompt will be revealed and the game will start. 

Prompt will be revealed at 8pm MST, Tuesday.

also, 

@everyone 
1. @Channelknight Fadran
2. @xinoehp512
3. @Cinnamon
4. @solarcat93
5. @Sequence
6. @RaeTheRaven
7. @Cash67

make sure you’re following the thread

I'm going to attempt to do it on my school chromebook since I can't freely use the computer I share with my family lOl. 

p.s.- the photoshop site you sent me isn't blocked and so are many other related sites, albiet I can't install any actual software.

@everyone

Signups are CLOSED!
Its the moment you've all been waiting for
the reveal of the first prompt!
Your prompt is...

Spoiler

Rick Astley + Mistborn!!!!!

(suggested by the judges and slightly modified by me)

There is a lot of flexibility in this prompt, so feel free to think outside the box! As long as I can see what your thought process was, and can tell that there's at least some logical connection to the original prompt, you won't be at a disadvantage. (That's just me though, the other judges are free to rate as they wish, they might value adherence to the prompt more than me.)

Submissions are due in FIVE DAYS. The deadline is 8pm MST Sunday the 12th. Results will be posted hopefully within 48 hours of that time.
(if all submissions are received earlier, the submission window will close early.)

Reminder: DO NOT LOOK AT OTHER'S SUBMISSIONS BEFORE YOU HAVE POSTED YOUR PIECE.

It's probably best to review the entire OP really, its been a while.

SUBMISSIONS ARE NOW OPEN. LET THE PHOTO MEMERY COMMENCE!

Edited by dannnnnex