How long should Stormlight Archive books be?

Frustration

I think I find them both too long and too short somehow. I think that my main issue I have with stormlight is that they sometimes (at least to my taste) struggle with pacing. Like you'll get some exciting things happening in one PoV and then suddenly you switch PoVs because we need to know what some other characters were up to in the interim before we can proceed. Having shorter books with fewer PoVs would make pacing the story much easier from that regard.

However, one of my favourite things about SA is how epic and complex it is and how all these different story lines interweave. So it would be awesome to have them be even longer and more expansive. It's kinda wanting your cake and eating it though. Overall, I think Brandon does as good a job as anyone could expect of marrying the two. 

4 hours ago, agrabes said:

Yes, that was what I meant by saying he plots each Stormlight book as multiple books,...  I'd rather have had him cut maybe 50-60% of those flashbacks, rather than stick to the format of always having major flashbacks.  Those are the kinds of things I'm talking about. 

Copy all. The previous post seemed like you thought it was structured like an Omnibus (Three distinct sequential stories each with their own climax) - so I was confused (no fault of yours).

Your mileage my vary, and obviously I'm just speculating about all this and could be completely wrong.

It's your opinion and personal preference. You can't be "wrong" in how you feel - it's how you feel.

Just as I feel the interludes are great, and integral. I like the way they foreshadow - and for the interludes that haven't yet paid off, I like to think about what they might foreshadow. Examples: Kaza's interlude in Oathbringer paid off in Dawnshard; Geranid's interlude in the TWoKs about flamespren being locked in place when measures has only started to really pay-off in RoW; Ellista's interlude in Oathbringer about the Alethi romances seems to have paid off with the Dawnchant reveal in the Oathbringer climax - but I think there is a deeper foreshadow there that hasn't yet paid off; and finally, Puuli's interlude, also Oathbringer, has yet to pay off what was foreshadowed by the Lighthouse and waiting for something/someone to sail in from the Origin.  I enjoy getting the look at the wider Roshar and seeing how those glimpses tie in further down the line.

Both of us are "right" because it is personal preference, and neither is wrong because - personal preference.