Elantrian V.S. Mistborn

Mistborn V.S. Elantrian  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who would win?

Ooh, interesting match up! Giving the scenario that you've set up here (Mistborn w/ 16 metals, so not including Atium) I have to go with an Elantrian. While their abilities take more time to utilize, once they get those Aons going there isn't much they can't do. 

The real kicker would be whether the Mistborn could kill the Elantrian before they could draft the necessary Aons. While potentially possible, Elantrian's are incredibly tough and very hard to kill. As per the following WOB, they can even survive decapitation; their bodies being renewed by the Dor.

Halel (paraphrased)

If I were to cut an Elantrian's head off, would it still live? Just the head, the body, both or perhaps neither of them?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

The body would grow a new head, as most of the soul is in that part.

ICon 2019 (Oct. 18, 2019)

Perhaps Chromium Leeching could have some impact on either the Elantrian or the Aons. Would be an interesting question to ask Brandon; if a Leecher touching an Aon would be able to delete it. I don't fell that it would, as the Aon is constantly drawing from that source of near-limitless Investiture until the Aonic effect occurs. 

So, the Mistborn would struggle to kill the Elantrian, and can't really interrupt their magic. The Elantrian can do a lot of things - stun them with Aon Ashe, hit them with explosive force from Aon Daa, and block their advance with Aon Edo. This all bides more and more time for a more complex weaving of Aons to permanently disable the Mistborn.

Would welcome any critique against this though!

It would depend on how prepared they might be. Elantrians have natural Pewter like physical enhancements. Additionally, they have enhanced mental prowess. If they have some Aons prepared like on their clothes or something, I could see them winning handily as an Elantrians strongest advantage is in preparation. However, Elantrians don't have regenerative powers like Radiants or Feruchemists do, so an unprepared Elantrian would potentially be at a pretty big disadvantage against a Mistborn with all metals

23 minutes ago, StanLemon said:

It would depend on how prepared they might be. Elantrians have natural Pewter like physical enhancements. Additionally, they have enhanced mental prowess. If they have some Aons prepared like on their clothes or something, I could see them winning handily as an Elantrians strongest advantage is in preparation. However, Elantrians don't have regenerative powers like Radiants or Feruchemists do, so an unprepared Elantrian would potentially be at a pretty big disadvantage against a Mistborn with all metals

My apologies, but I believe Elantrians do have regenerative powers. Their bodies are constantly renewed by the Dor. As per the above WOB, they can regrow a new head if they've been decapitated. In some ways, it's actually better than the Radiants and the Feruchemists, as it doesn't rely on a stored resource - it's inherent. 

Edited by Werewolff Studios

20 minutes ago, Werewolff Studios said:

My apologies, but I believe Elantrians do have regenerative powers. Their bodies are constantly renewed by the Dor. As per the above WOB, they can regrow a new head if they've been decapitated. In some ways, it's actually better than the Radiants and the Feruchemists, as it doesn't rely on a stored resource - it's inherent. 

If they do, then it isn't a particularly fast one. In Elantris after fixing AonDor near the climax both of Raoden's hands get too injured to draw Aons and they don't heal until Galladon shows up to heal him. So perhaps they can regenerate from anything, but not at an accelerated rate

Edited by StanLemon

4 minutes ago, StanLemon said:

If they do, then it isn't a particularly fast one. In Elantris after fixing AonDor near the climax both of Raoden's hands get too injured to draw Aons and they don't heal until Galladon shows up to heal him. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that because he was too far away from Elantris because the climax against Dilaf was in Teod? As @Wits instant noodles said the Elantrian had access to all powers, I'm assuming this Connection issue isn't applying here, or that the fight takes place close to Elantris. 

14 minutes ago, Werewolff Studios said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that because he was too far away from Elantris because the climax against Dilaf was in Teod? As @Wits instant noodles said the Elantrian had access to all powers, I'm assuming this Connection issue isn't applying here, or that the fight takes place close to Elantris. 

Admittedly that could be the reason he didn't heal. Though he did still have an enhanced physique in Teod, it might be a worthy thing to get clarification from Brandon.

1 hour ago, Werewolff Studios said:

The real kicker would be whether the Mistborn could kill the Elantrian before they could draft the necessary Aons. While potentially possible, Elantrian's are incredibly tough and very hard to kill. As per the following WOB, they can even survive decapitation; their bodies being renewed by the Dor.

I'm going to say that's probably an Oathbringer-Honorblade, especially given how Dilaf says that the Skaze say elantrians die just like any mortal, or how Galadon's father died of a heart attack.

10 minutes ago, StanLemon said:

Oathbringer-Honorblade?

Reference to this WoB

Spoiler

StarburstWrapperTie

What kind of spren is Oathbringer, the Shardblade?

Brandon Sanderson

Oathbringer is not technically a spren. Why I call these things the Honorblades, kind of where the whole Shardblade concept fits in, is that these are literally pieces of Honor's soul that he Splintered off and formed weapons out of for the Heralds. These didn't actually have sentience, in the same way that the spren forming most of the Shardblades are. They're literally a piece of the god who ruled this world turned into weapons. And the spren, who are also pieces of the same divinity, saw what was happening, and this kind of became a model by which Shardblades came about.

So Oathbringer doesn't have a spren. If you wanted to call it something, call it a sliver of Honor that has been manifested in physical form. That does mean the blade would actually be made of Tanavast's god metal, so tanavastium, if you want to call it that.

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, that's just me hearing what I wanted to hear, not what was actually asked. It happens more often than I'd like; I get into this groove of answering questions, and start answering what I'm thinking about rather than what actually gets asked. A lot of times, I'm expecting a question (often because it's one that gets asked a lot, like what are Shardblades made out of) and my brain defaults to the answer I've prepared. I think it might be because I've trained myself to answer questions while doing other things.

Oathbringer's not an Honorblade. It was a Stoneward's blade a long time ago, with the corresponding spren.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/431/#e13996

Basically its shorthand for Brandon making a mistake.

6 minutes ago, Frustration said:

Reference to this WoB

Hide contents

StarburstWrapperTie

What kind of spren is Oathbringer, the Shardblade?

Brandon Sanderson

Oathbringer is not technically a spren. Why I call these things the Honorblades, kind of where the whole Shardblade concept fits in, is that these are literally pieces of Honor's soul that he Splintered off and formed weapons out of for the Heralds. These didn't actually have sentience, in the same way that the spren forming most of the Shardblades are. They're literally a piece of the god who ruled this world turned into weapons. And the spren, who are also pieces of the same divinity, saw what was happening, and this kind of became a model by which Shardblades came about.

So Oathbringer doesn't have a spren. If you wanted to call it something, call it a sliver of Honor that has been manifested in physical form. That does mean the blade would actually be made of Tanavast's god metal, so tanavastium, if you want to call it that.

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, that's just me hearing what I wanted to hear, not what was actually asked. It happens more often than I'd like; I get into this groove of answering questions, and start answering what I'm thinking about rather than what actually gets asked. A lot of times, I'm expecting a question (often because it's one that gets asked a lot, like what are Shardblades made out of) and my brain defaults to the answer I've prepared. I think it might be because I've trained myself to answer questions while doing other things.

Oathbringer's not an Honorblade. It was a Stoneward's blade a long time ago, with the corresponding spren.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/431/#e13996

Basically its shorthand for Brandon making a mistake.

Ah thank you

52 minutes ago, Frustration said:

I'm going to say that's probably an Oathbringer-Honorblade, especially given how Dilaf says that the Skaze say elantrians die just like any mortal, or how Galadon's father died of a heart attack.

Hmm, that's a fair point. Still, at the very least, they are supernaturally enhanced and more durable than regular humans. I don't think it's unreasonable to think they'd be similar to pewter mistings. Even barring that, Aon Edo- the shielding Aon that draws power equal to the force going into it, is one of the quickest Aons to draw. 

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Galladon's father choose to die as his wife had passed away? I remember reading that the condition he had was treatable, but he decided to let it take him. I don't think it was a heart attack in the sense of a sudden thing.

20 minutes ago, Werewolff Studios said:

Hmm, that's a fair point. Still, at the very least, they are supernaturally enhanced and more durable than regular humans. I don't think it's unreasonable to think they'd be similar to pewter mistings. Even barring that, Aon Edo- the shielding Aon that draws power equal to the force going into it, is one of the quickest Aons to draw. 

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Galladon's father choose to die as his wife had passed away? I remember reading that the condition he had was treatable, but he decided to let it take him. I don't think it was a heart attack in the sense of a sudden thing.

He could have been treated, Aons can heal just about anything, but he didn't naturally heal.

But I agree aon Edo counters everything but chromium, and while the mistborn is leeching they can draw Aon Sheo, or Aon Daa and just go for the kill.

Just now, Frustration said:

He could have been treated, Aons can heal just about anything, but he didn't naturally heal.

Very true. I do wonder if maybe it was something to do with his Cognitive Aspect, like Kaladin's scars, and him being broken-hearted from the loss of his wife. Hard to say, but I don't want to use it as an argument anymore. 

But I agree aon Edo counters everything but chromium, and while the mistborn is leeching they can draw Aon Sheo, or Aon Daa and just go for the kill.

Do we know if Chromium can leech an Aon? I tried finding a WOB or reference, but came up empty. But agreed as well - even if it's only temporary, the opportunity it creates is pretty good. 

5 hours ago, Frustration said:

For certain? no. But given that Dilaf was able to break it, and he seemed to leech Raoden's illusion, I'd say they probably could.

Makes sense - I really need to read Elantris again. Been too long.

Would Aon Edo be able to leeched I wonder, as it's said that it draws power from the Dor to repel the attacks coming against it. I wonder if it would do the same for Chromium Leeching.

I will admit though, I can't remember what Dilaf broke. If it was that Aon, please rescind the point I made above. 

Just now, Werewolff Studios said:

Makes sense - I really need to read Elantris again. Been too long.

Would Aon Edo be able to leeched I wonder, as it's said that it draws power from the Dor to repel the attacks coming against it. I wonder if it would do the same for Chromium Leeching.

I will admit though, I can't remember what Dilaf broke. If it was that Aon, please rescind the point I made above. 

It was Edo. He stabbed the barrier with his sword and it did nothing, but simply touching it with his hand caused it to evaporate.