Misting populations

Spideyninja20

Question

3 answers to this question

Correct me if i am wrong, but i think the 16% rule was only to get new allomancers for Preservations final plan to defeat Ruin.
The part where people get sick in the mists.
I guess there is no evidence that before that 16% of the population are Allomancers.

On the other Hand, now that i think about it, there is a part (in Secret History i think) where Preservation is like: "16 is the number i choose to tell people that i am involved".
So maybe thats a hint that before the End of Ashes there were really 16% Allomancers on Scadrial.
But for me it feels just a little bit to random if someone becomes an Allomancer or not.

On 12/29/2022 at 0:26 AM, Spideyninja20 said:

Does anyone know if the rule of 16% of the Scadrian population being allomancers is still in effect in the later eras?

23 hours ago, Nasax said:

Correct me if i am wrong, but i think the 16% rule was only to get new allomancers for Preservations final plan to defeat Ruin.
The part where people get sick in the mists.
I guess there is no evidence that before that 16% of the population are Allomancers.

On the other Hand, now that i think about it, there is a part (in Secret History i think) where Preservation is like: "16 is the number i choose to tell people that i am involved".
So maybe thats a hint that before the End of Ashes there were really 16% Allomancers on Scadrial.
But for me it feels just a little bit to random if someone becomes an Allomancer or not.

Also, it was never 16% are Mistings - it was more convoluted than that. In Hero of Ages it is:

• 16% of non-innoculated/non-snapped people in any given event became sick
  • 1/16th of those died (technically - 1/16th of each 'misting group' died)
  • 1/16th of the survivors each became a Misting of a different metal
Spoiler

Ch 21

“What percentage of the soldiers is that?” Vin asked.

Noorden paused, then waved over a scribe and did some calculations. “About thirteen and a half percent, my lady,” he finally said, adjusting his spectacles.

Vin frowned. “Did you include the men who died in your calculations?”

“Actually, no,” Noorden said.

“And which total did you use?” Vin asked. “The total number of men in the army, or the total number who hadn’t been in the mists before?”

“The first.”

“Do you have a count for the second number?” Vin asked.

“Yes, my lady,” Noorden said. “The emperor wanted an accurate count of which soldiers would be affected.”

“Use that number instead,” Vin said, glancing at Elend. He seemed interested.

“What is this about, Vin?” he asked as Noorden and his men worked.

“I’m . . . not sure,” Vin said.

“Numbers are important for generalizations,” Elend said. “But I don’t see how . . .” He trailed off as Noorden looked up from his calculations, then cocked his head, saying something softly to himself.

“What?” Vin asked.

“I’m sorry, my lady,” Noorden said. “I was just a bit surprised. The calculation came out to be exact—precisely sixteen percent of the soldiers fell sick. To the man.”

Ch 36

“Then how do you explain the strange numbers, my lord?” Demoux asked.

“I’m not sure,” Elend said. “I’ll admit that the number of people who fell sick does produce an odd statistic, but that doesn’t say anything about you specifically, Demoux.”

“I don’t mean that number, my lord,” Demoux said, still looking down. “I mean the number who remained sick while the others recovered.”

Elend paused. “Wait. What is this?”

“Haven’t you heard, my lord?” Demoux asked in the quiet tent. “The scribes have been talking about it, and it’s gotten around to the army. I don’t think that most of them understand the numbers and such, but they understand that something strange is happening.”

“What numbers?” Elend asked.

“Six thousand people got taken by the sickness, my lord,” Demoux said.

Exactly sixteen percent of the army, Elend thought.

“Of those, over five hundred died,” Demoux said. “Of those remaining, almost everyone recovered in one day.”

“But some didn’t,” Elend said. “Like you.”

“Like me,” Demoux said softly. “Three hundred and sixty-three of us remained sick when the others got better.”

“So?” Elend asked.

“That’s exactly one-sixteenth of those who fell to the sickness, my lord,” Demoux said. “Thirty-six died, but the other three hundred and twenty-seven of us stayed sick exactly sixteen days. To the hour.”

Also, we know that Harmony changed how Snapping works, so it is likely the percentages changed as well.