What metals did Scadrial have before Rashek Ascended?

JustQuestin2004

Question

So I'm doing a writing thing about the origins of Rashek as the Lord Ruler and I'm wondering about how many metals were known to have properties in Feruchemy back before Rashek Ascended and became the Sliver of Infinity? Because Feruchemy was the only widespread Magic System in Classical Scadrial and from what little we know they were in the middle of a kind of industrial revolution when the Deepness happened and Rashek screwed up the world.

8 answers to this question

I think the only metal that we know they certainly had access to is pewter, and for the rest of them I'm just guessing.

I would assume that they would have access to the base eight metals. I'm pretty sure most of those metals are easy to produce Some of them might require more advanced technology that the final empire eventually provided, but that would require further research.

They certainly wouldn't have Lerasium and I would think they wouldn't have access to atium. Atium is very hard to find and since no one can burn the metal it holds little to no value. Feruchemey seems to stay within the borders of Terris and no one outside seems to have a good knowledge of it. So I don't think anyone would go out of there way to find Atium and give it to Feruchemists. 

42 minutes ago, Ookla the Kobold said:

I think the only metal that we know they certainly had access to is pewter, and for the rest of them I'm just guessing.

I would assume that they would have access to the base eight metals. I'm pretty sure most of those metals are easy to produce Some of them might require more advanced technology that the final empire eventually provided, but that would require further research.

They certainly wouldn't have Lerasium and I would think they wouldn't have access to atium. Atium is very hard to find and since no one can burn the metal it holds little to no value. Feruchemey seems to stay within the borders of Terris and no one outside seems to have a good knowledge of it. So I don't think anyone would go out of there way to find Atium and give it to Feruchemists. 

These deductions are similar to the ones I've had as well. I'd assume they also had access to gold due it's prevalence in pretty much any culture or economy.

So they'd likely have access to all the Physical and Mental metals as well as gold. Maybe electrum as well though that's just my guess.

Yeah I can work with that. Thanks for your answers.

I also have been wondering whether Atium was known before Rashek. But I guess it makes sense that it wasn't discovered, or at least wasn't a significant part of any culture or economy due to it's limited usefulness without Allomancy.

Edited by JustQuestin2004

3 hours ago, JustQuestin2004 said:

So they'd likely have access to all the Physical and Mental metals as well as gold. Maybe electrum as well though that's just my guess.

Ancient Egypt had electrum - it was allegedly used s a coating on the tops of the pyramids - so they definitely could have had it during Rashek's time.

5 hours ago, Dunkum said:

Ancient Egypt had electrum - it was allegedly used s a coating on the tops of the pyramids - so they definitely could have had it during Rashek's time.

Then again, the Keepers had no idea about it's existence, so that's a point against that theory.

But Rashek could have just suppressed the knowledge as hard as he could. Or perhaps the Non-Feruchemists left over from Rashek's Ascension did not know everything about Feruchemy and some knowledge was lost that way.

So maybe they did have electrum, maybe they didn't.

47 minutes ago, JustQuestin2004 said:

Then again, the Keepers had no idea about it's existence, so that's a point against that theory.

But Rashek could have just suppressed the knowledge as hard as he could. Or perhaps the Non-Feruchemists left over from Rashek's Ascension did not know everything about Feruchemy and some knowledge was lost that way.

So maybe they did have electrum, maybe they didn't.

also possible the version that they had available wasn't any were close to the right mixture for ferruchemical purposes. they might have had electrum, but not ferruchemical electrum

On 12/11/2022 at 5:09 AM, JustQuestin2004 said:

So I'm doing a writing thing about the origins of Rashek as the Lord Ruler and I'm wondering about how many metals were known to have properties in Feruchemy back before Rashek Ascended and became the Sliver of Infinity? Because Feruchemy was the only widespread Magic System in Classical Scadrial and from what little we know they were in the middle of a kind of industrial revolution when the Deepness happened and Rashek screwed up the world.

Scadrial would've at least had bronze, copper, brass, pewter. Alendi was a Seeker so he would've needed bronze, and there was probably a Bronze Age. Feruchemists used copperminds, so duh. Alendi mentioned that the Terris who accompanied him on his journey didn't feel cold and threw boulders. This means Scadrial knew about brass and pewter.

Scadrial's discovery of metals and other elements probably follows our world's timeline. It would've known about iron, steel, zinc, and tin.