Why the large sea theme/aquatic creatures influence?

Enigma

Not sure if there's been a discussion on this subject yet; but, it popped into my head recently and I was curious. Why do all of the animals/creatures on Roshar have a large crustacean/sea theme? Is there a particular reason?

If there is a discussion thread on this already, please link me?

Ian M Mackay, PhD

Was much of the Shattered Plains inspired by the beach?

Peter Ahlstrom

A lot of the life on Roshar is inspired by tide pools.

General Twitter 2015 (April 10, 2015)

This would seem to be why. So I guess its because it fit with his idea of regular cycles involving huge amounts of water that sustain a small system. I certainly can't deny the aesthetic is cool.

I think the crab part comes from the Highstorms. It's nice to have a hard outer shell when your planet is perpetually wracked with gigantic hurricane-strength tempests. There are probably other factors, but I think that's the big one. Even most of the plants have shells and can move to protect themselves.

The GIANT part comes from the fact that Roshar has slightly lower than average gravity, letting creatures get bigger than they would be able to on a world like Earth.

Also (Minor Stormlight 2-3 spoilers)

Spoiler

We learn that the Luckspren, or Mandras, seem to form bonds with the larger Greatshells (Chasmfiends and others) and allow them to "fly", at least mathematically. Which is basically just a magical excuse for why they don't collapse under their own weight, even in the lower gravity.

50 minutes ago, Ookla the Perpetual said:

The GIANT part comes from the fact that Roshar has slightly lower than average gravity, letting creatures get bigger than they would be able to on a world like Earth.

It may also have a little to do with the slightly higher oxygen levels on Roshar.*

*Sources cited: Late Carboniferous Era

23 hours ago, HSuperLee said:

This would seem to be why. So I guess its because it fit with his idea of regular cycles involving huge amounts of water that sustain a small system. I certainly can't deny the aesthetic is cool.

Interesting, though why tide pools?

23 hours ago, Ookla the Perpetual said:

I think the crab part comes from the Highstorms. It's nice to have a hard outer shell when your planet is perpetually wracked with gigantic hurricane-strength tempests. There are probably other factors, but I think that's the big one. Even most of the plants have shells and can move to protect themselves.

Also (Minor Stormlight 2-3 spoilers)

Reveal hidden contents

We learn that the Luckspren, or Mandras, seem to form bonds with the larger Greatshells (Chasmfiends and others) and allow them to "fly", at least mathematically. Which is basically just a magical excuse for why they don't collapse under their own weight, even in the lower gravity.

The carapace would certainly make sense with the consideration of the highstorms with the winds and debris. Though why did the highstorms begin? Why does Roshar rely on a tide pool type ecosystem?

22 hours ago, Ookla the Confused said:

It may also have a little to do with the slightly higher oxygen levels on Roshar.*

*Sources cited: Late Carboniferous Era

Why though?

12 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Interesting, though why tide pools?

I think this question is something you need to ask Brandon specifically. My best answer for why Roshar is heavily tide-pool inspired is because there are a lot of interesting and novel ideas that can be explored when you ask the question: What if, every week, there was a massive event that rinsed the entire world clean to start anew? That, at least, is my thoughts. 

12 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Why though?

This is because insects don't really breathe, instead they diffuse oxygen through their shell/carapace/whatevers (they breathe through their skin, essentially.) This means insects must be small when oxygen levels are low, because they can't "breathe" in enough oxygen to support their entire body. However, higher oxygen content, such as was present in the Late Carboniferous Era and on Roshar, can allow oxygen to diffuse further into the insect, essentially letting them grow bigger without worrying about their insides suffocating. 

Edited by Ookla the Confused

3 minutes ago, Ookla the Confused said:

I think this question is something you need to ask Brandon specifically. My best answer for why Roshar is heavily tide-pool inspired is because there are a lot of interesting and novel ideas that can be explored when you ask the question: What if, every week, there was a massive event that rinsed the entire world clean to start anew? That, at least, is my thoughts. 

True, it would pose a unique scenario that could be explored further with how nature would evolve with such criteria.

3 minutes ago, Ookla the Confused said:

This is because insects don't really breathe, instead they diffuse oxygen through their shell/carapace/whatevers (they breathe through their skin, essentially.) This means insects must be small when oxygen levels are low, because they can't "breathe" in enough oxygen to support their entire body. However, higher oxygen content, such as was present in the Late Carboniferous Era and on Roshar, can allow oxygen to diffuse further into the insect, essentially letting them grow bigger without worrying about their insides suffocating. 

Spiracles and true. Hadn't though of it that way. Would certainly explain the Chasmfiends growing to such enormous sizes without

1 minute ago, Ookla the Frustrated. said:

Because Highstorms are basically a tide.

They don't recede though. They sound more like a hurricane.