Do the Windrunner need to swear the first Ideal before being able to suck in Stormlight

Munazir

NO SPOILERS FOR ROM

im rereading OB and Kaladin is teaching people how to become Windrunner and the first step they take is swearing the first ideal. Kaladin didnt have swear the first idea before sucking in stormlight so was he the exception or is it different for squires. I’m pretty sure Szeth also did this when becoming a Skybreaker

2 hours ago, Munazir said:

NO SPOILERS FOR ROM

im rereading OB and Kaladin is teaching people how to become Windrunner and the first step they take is swearing the first ideal. Kaladin didnt have swear the first idea before sucking in stormlight so was he the exception or is it different for squires. I’m pretty sure Szeth also did this when becoming a Skybreaker

The rules for manifesting Surges seem rather unclear. Kaladin seemed to manifest Surges before swearing an Ideal, but he only gained control of the Surges after swearing the First Ideal. Squires, meanwhile, act differently in each order we've seen. Windrunners Squires can draw Stormlight without saying Ideals (as shown by The Lopen), but seem to find it easier to learn to draw Stormlight after swearing the First Ideal. They have not been seen to Surgebind before the First, however. Lightweaver Squires can fully use Illumination without saying the Ideal, but we only have one example, iirc. And Skybreaker Squires cannot do anything until they say the Second Ideal, at which point they have full use of Gravitation. So far, I do not think we have seen any other Squires. 

I always took it as:

• If a spren is already interested in/following you then you might get access to Stormlight as the Nahel Bond forms but before swearing any ideals
  • If you hope to become a Squire (to any order) and attract a spren (but do not already have one watching/following you) then you would need to express the first ideal through words or deeds to gain access to Stormlight
Edited by Treamayne
SPAG