Tower of Ghenjei: An ICanon subplot

The Aspiring Archivist

1 minute ago, Ookla the Inverted said:

Ah. For once, I think I know how you feel. I was created to be a savior, to fight evil. And I can only assume that it was my repeated failure that destroyed almost everything I ever knew. Sometimes, people like you are put in the worst situations, and then they expect or are expected to handle them. When you make a mistake, it isn't viewed as a normal occurrence. It is viewed as a violation of what many have come to believe is a universal truth: that good always wins.

I kept seeking them out. Joel, Taslin, Miria… and they always die anyway.

3 minutes ago, Ookla the Inverted said:

Ah. For once, I think I know how you feel. I was created to be a savior, to fight evil. And I can only assume that it was my repeated failure that destroyed almost everything I ever knew. Sometimes, people like you are put in the worst situations, and then they expect or are expected to handle them. When you make a mistake, it isn't viewed as a normal occurrence. It is viewed as a violation of what many have come to believe is a universal truth: that good always wins.

6 minutes ago, Ookla the BlowUpperOfStuff said:

Haly laughed bitterly. No romance. Just… people. I try to save them. It never works. I quit and somebody recommended the clinic. I still wonder if I should have tried harder.

Wynn laughed, a hint of bitterness in her tone.

"Imagine having a life mission. You guys might think you've failed, but at least you tried, right? At least you can say you didn't sit and do nothing as your people were destroyed. This is why you're classified as heroes. You go and do what you can to make things better. And if your loved ones die, you feel pain. You feel sadness and regret. Take it from someone who can't fathom those emotions. It makes you a lot more powerful and meaningful. When you die, you can say that you did things. Made things happen."

Wynn took a breath.

"That probably came off kind of cold. Sorry."

6 minutes ago, Ookla the Inverted said:

I'm sorry. I promise, I will do anything I can to help TAAron. You aren't alone in this.

Thank you.

4 minutes ago, Ookla the Obstinate said:

"Imagine having a life mission. You guys might think you've failed, but at least you tried, right? At least you can say you didn't sit and do nothing as your people were destroyed. This is why you're classified as heroes. You go and do what you can to make things better. And if your loved ones die, you feel pain. You feel sadness and regret. Take it from someone who can't fathom those emotions. It makes you a lot more powerful and meaningful. When you die, you can say that you did things. Made things happen."

Wynn took a breath.

“No, that’s okay. But I’m not a hero. I’m just a failed hopeful who made a lot of people mad.”

A familiar nine-year-old with a platinum-blonde hair bun with horn rimmed glasses, business suit, and clipboard walked up. “Is now a good time?”

Edited by Ookla the BlowUpperOfStuff
1111 posts!!! Make a wish!!!!

4 minutes ago, Ookla the Obstinate said:

Wynn took a breath.

How did Wynn hear that? I thought it was communicated by thought.

1 minute ago, Ookla the BlowUpperOfStuff said:

Thank you.

“No, that’s okay. But I’m not a hero. I’m just a failed hopeful who made a lot of people mad.”

A familiar nine-year-old with a platinum-blonde hair bun with horn rimmed glasses, business suit, and clipboard walked up. “Is now a good time?”

Who's that?

17 minutes ago, Ookla the Obstinate said:

No you’re not. Happens all the time.

14 minutes ago, Ookla the Inverted said:

Do you need backup or something?

No. I’m good. 
Essa sighed, tapping her foot. “Haly, be reasonable. Your magic has been… unstable lately.”

”No it hasn’t.”

”You went temporarily insane, had amnesia, caused two floods, and a large amount of roses.” Essa made a notation on her clipboard.

”I did not go insane!”

”You started spouting random poetry. Look, if you don’t want to come in, can I have a blood sample?”

”Fine.”

2 minutes ago, Ookla the BlowUpperOfStuff said:

No. I’m good. 
Essa sighed, tapping her foot. “Haly, be reasonable. Your magic has been… unstable lately.”

”No it hasn’t.”

”You went temporarily insane, had amnesia, caused two floods, and a large amount of roses.” Essa made a notation on her clipboard.

”I did not go insane!”

”You started spouting random poetry. Look, if you don’t want to come in, can I have a blood sample?”

”Fine.”

How does a blood sample help with magical issues?

Invisible to others except for a faint ripple in the air, Tors hovered around Essa, somehow looking suspicious despite lack of features.

@Ookla the Inverted

To answer your question about the void, how long it takes you to go insane probably depends on the person. Nameless travelled the void, and it messed him up a bit but didn't do any lasting damage. It would also depend on the Soulless you encounter, if you encounter them.

Nameless jogged back to the group. "I finished up the machine to send us through." he gestured behind him, where a set of coffins hung out over the void, glowing with an ethereal light. "I put a weave on them that will make it appear as though we've left, while in reality the coffins are still there, hidden by an illusion. Sorry it took so long, I'm terrible at illusions. Had to go off my notes mostly." He turned, gesturing towards a chest lying on the ground. "I figured we could ask some of the people here to see us off, then tell them that the box contains the secret to bypassing the barrier and they can open it after we leave. opening or moving the box will trigger the mechanism, so they'll see us 'leave' and then activate the machine and send us on our way."

Just now, Ookla the Inverted said:

How does a blood sample help with magical issues?

Invisible to others except for a faint ripple in the air, Tors hovered around Essa, somehow looking suspicious despite lack of features.

For tests. They test you to see if it’s dangerous.

Essa drew a quick blood sample. “Wheres the boy? The one with the metals?”

”He fell in there. We’re still trying to follow.”

”I can’t interfere, Haly.” Essa raised her eyebrows. 

“I was trying to help,” Haly replied defensively. 

“I know.” Essa poofed away.

Just now, Ookla the Untitled said:

@Ookla the Inverted

Nameless jogged back to the group. "I finished up the machine to send us through." he gestured behind him, where a set of coffins hung out over the void, glowing with an ethereal light. "I put a weave on them that will make it appear as though we've left, while in reality the coffins are still there, hidden by an illusion. Sorry it took so long, I'm terrible at illusions. Had to go off my notes mostly." He turned, gesturing towards a chest lying on the ground. "I figured we could ask some of the people here to see us off, then tell them that the box contains the secret to bypassing the barrier and they can open it after we leave. opening or moving the box will trigger the mechanism, so they'll see us 'leave' and then activate the machine and send us on our way."

”Coolio! Let’s go.”

I almost have him. The manipulator was frantically weaving strings in an attempt to reach the scholar with a physical connection. He held the metal shards in his hands, fresh blood pouring from his palms where they had been cut.

TAAron awoke in the void. What happened? Did I fall into the barrier? Am I alive?

The soul-pain struck him as it always did when he came to full consciousness. Ah, yes. I hope Haly and the others are alright. Now, where can I go from here? I should try to get to the Clinic... He would have jumped, if not for the absence of space around him. The Clinic? Where is that? How do I remember that?