A linguistic look at the names of Core Aethers

asmodeus

7 hours ago, asmodeus said:

Let's start with the easiest, Vishwadhar. "Vishwa" basically means "the world," as in, the world which we live in. "-dhar" as a suffix translates to "holder/bearer." Thus, "Vishwadhar," as a word, translates to "worldbearer," perhaps "one who bears the world" or "one who bears worlds."

I suspect Brandon of getting a copy of the Rgveda. There you'll find the Vishvadevas or Allgods, as it is usually translated. The root itself can be reconstructed to go back *weik'- (more or less settle). You find its modern descendants in "-wick" in place names. The world sense probably comes from a shortening of the "settled world".

7 hours ago, asmodeus said:

"Silajana" gave me a lot of trouble, but according to @Jofwu over on the discord, Kalyani confirmed this as "origin of the stone." If so, then they break down as "Sila" (stone) and "Jana" (birth? one who births?).

Stonebirther would fit what his aether does. "Stoneborn" would also fit. It is linguistically closer. The name seems to be an adjective.

37 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

I suspect Brandon of getting a copy of the Rgveda. There you'll find the Vishvadevas or Allgods, as it is usually translated. The root itself can be reconstructed to go back *weik'- (more or less settle). You find its modern descendants in "-wick" in place names. The world sense probably comes from a shortening of the "settled world".

Stonebirther would fit what his aether does. "Stoneborn" would also fit. It is linguistically closer. The name seems to be an adjective.

I was thinking something along those lines too, where maybe the name refers to the whole interweb of the aether than just the entity?

I was thinking of going more with "Those of stone" but yeah, "Stoneborn" sounds about right.

6 minutes ago, asmodeus said:

I was thinking something along those lines too, where maybe the name refers to the whole interweb of the aether than just the entity?

I was thinking of going more with "Those of stone" but yeah, "Stoneborn" sounds about right.

That raises the question of the life cycle of the aethers of whether they indeed have one. We do not know whether there is only the one Core Aether or whether Core Aethers are life forms that somehow reproduce and whether the bonded form is a part of the life cycle or a side branch like soldier forms in social insects.

The unbonded form which we saw in Oathbringer is what you could call a stone, a shiny colored stone, but a stone.
"jana-" goes back to the "*genh1-" root (thus "jani" in Sanskrit - set root) which seems to still have a broader meaning. Stonekin? Stonefolk?

@Oltux72 any opinions on "Suna" and "Prasanva"?

"Suna" makes me think of "to listen," but... it could also go towards "barren," and some other esoteric places.

"Prasanva" is something I'm having a lot of trouble with, because it almost fits things but isn't any of them.

Using placeholder blanks for it, TwinSoul's name turns out to be;

"Lord Mountain-son _____ (of?) Earth and Stone, King of the Coriander Court"

Edited by asmodeus

8 hours ago, asmodeus said:

@Oltux72 any opinions on "Suna" and "Prasanva"?

"Suna" makes me think of "to listen," but... it could also go towards "barren," and some other esoteric places.

My Sanskrit dictionary has "suna" as
"summit, mountain ridge, highland"

8 hours ago, asmodeus said:

"Prasanva" is something I'm having a lot of trouble with, because it almost fits things but isn't any of them.

It looks like a compound "pra" is obviously "front, foreward", but I have no idea of "sanva" is supposed to be.

Might add, from Nepali similar to Hindi,

• Suna made me think of "Gold" (सुन - Soon) or "Listen" (सुन्नु - Sunnu).
  • Vishwadhar could mean the "World's" (विश्व - Vishva) "Edge" (धार - dhar). I also asked my mother these, and she said this could be something like "throughout the world" or "all around the world".
  • Silajana is the most straightforward one as everyone mentioned literally would translate to "born of stone" or "Stoneborn".
  • Prasanva sounds like the prefix (प्र - Pra) which means "front, before, or forward" and "With/Together" (संग - sanga).
  • I'll take y'all word for Sanvith and Mahik since I can't tease meanings out of those out in Nepali.

So I'll posit the following theory for the etymology of Shri Sanvith Prasanva Mahik va Sila.

Shri is the title for respect, "Lord"

Sanvith is probably his given name meaning "Son of the Mountain".

Prasanva is probably his surname meaning "together from the past". Maybe signifying a long familial connection to the Aethers?

Mahik va Sila is probably a religious title, "Silajana's earthy one". Probably denoting his status as one of Silajana's Aetherbound.

I hope to everyone who doesn't speak a Sanskrit based language, I get across the distinction between words and names. Like in English "Nick" means "The Victory of the People", but while you might be aware of the meaning, you're not actually intending to say like "Hey how are you doing victory of the people" when using a name.

Meanwhile things like "Pope" would be a title which denotes something like "The ordained religious leader of the Catholic Church", and everyone is aware and intends for the full definition to be applied.

This might seem trivial or obvious in English, but I just want to get the framework across when he calls himself Prasanva, the meaning is kind of secondary to the usage (cause it's a name) while I believe Mahik denotes something important.

So all together, the most respectful way to refer to him in English would be as follows: "Lord Sanvith Prasanva the Mahik of Sila(jana), Grand Aetherbound of the Twelve Kingdoms, Raj of the Coriander Court".

P.S. If none of that was confusing, I almost arbitrarily chose the given name, surname, and title just based on what I liked best and made sense to me. For an alternative, his name could be "Prasanva Mahik" and his title would translate to "Son of the mountain, Prasanva Mahik, of Silajana" or any combination of title and name with "Prasanva", "Mahik", and "Sanvith". Or all three could be part of his name, and just "va Sila" is an identifier like "Brightlord".

Most likely Prasanva is part of his name since both himself and his friends call him that, and I don't think you would go around calling yourself "Pope" for instance. 

On 19.11.2022 at 8:15 AM, asmodeus said:

"Prasanva" is weird. As others have pointed out down below, one of the most straightforward ways to approach this is to take the "pra" as a prefix, and then deal with the rest of the word, "sanva" as one thing. This doesn't quite work, because while there's lots of similar words I can use for inspiration, nothing fits things completely. That, unfortunately, is also the problem if you don't go the whole "pra+sanva" route, so... yeah. There's... a possibility, that the break down is somehow "Pra + san/sam + va," with elements coming together such that you get "forward mountain and" but... I dislike that immensely, because we don't have "maahikva" after, we have "maahik va".

That problem'll vanish if you don't insist on those two "va" being the same. The second free standing "va" could be a contraction of iva.

• 1 month later...

Oh hey, nice to see this has a thread!

I didn't look into it too deeply, but... I'll just copy paste what I had on it over here

I wasn't sure how Silajana was broken down, though I did know a name "Nilanjana" which was what popped up in my head first, but I was pretty sure that's Neel+Anjana. Sila is stone, Jana could mean a person. So, "person of stone", "He or she, of stone", was my first guess. The 's' is usually aspirated, iirc. English isn't great for transliterating Indian languages... there were a lot of suffixes it could've been. Based on which 'a' was a schwa, which was a long ā, it could've been a lot of different things. But "origin" makes a lot of sense. And we're going full Sanskrit.

Vishwadhar would mean "lord of the world" with the base words being Vishva (world) and Dharan (bear / hold / wield), it's a title of a Hindu god, Vishnu. World's Edge is a possible translation, Vishva+Dhar, but given how Silajana is translated, I would say it's less likely.

The amount of pronunciations and meanings "Suna" could have... it's too much. I don't even know if the 's' is aspirated (like sh... yeah I don't know why aspirated 's' sounds aren't just transliterated into 'sh' either). But going by context, that these are the names of Aethers...

I remember going through my references and ignoring certain definitions but now that I think about it, some of those translations could make sense. Like "execution site" or "place of slaughter" if it was referring to the Aether corresponding to the Crimson Sea.

It's probably not "zero", "empty", "void", that's more commonly transliterated as "sunya" ("shunya" would be better). It sounds grand, but I don't think there's an Aether like that, iirc. But there could be an Aether of Investiture nullification out there, I guess. Tress' world probably wouldn't realise what that Aether would do, and so it might've gone unremarked within the scope of the story.

It's possible that it refers to a Verdant Aether, and means something like "bloom" or "bud" or "fruit", but I'm not sure. Verdant doesn't produce vines with flowers or fruits, either in Tress or AoN.

It could also be the Sunlight Aether, for "beam of light".

So I got a few possibilities for Suna!

Edited by Honorless